Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, gang, I think I've found another major wart :evil: . Apparently the rear bumper cover is a dent-scrape-scratch central. I had no faintest idea that placing on several occasions - if only for a few moments - a 30 lb Perdue box with loose stuff on the bumper - should I need to re-arrange the cargo bay - might leave a dent and/or scrape. WTF ? What happened to SUV-grade bumper covers ? And here's a real kick in the groin - you can try and polish away the scratches, but dents will be here to stay. And some people ask why would the " stupid " Germans have metal plate inserts in that spot :roll: . I wonder how much stink an appraiser might raise over this issue now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
pics?

·
Registered
320 Posts
particlefx said:
Yep, and behind the bumper is Styrafoam -- ensuring that any minor run-in will leave a bid dent. ::roll:
Hello, McFly...they've been like that for years...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Painted bumper covers are thin plastic and deform easily; that's the price we pay for good looks. If it doesn't look sturdy or have an insert of hard plastic or metal, it shouldn't be used as a shelf. You can't traet this vehicle like an SUV, 'cause it really isn't; it's a tall sport sedan. You wouldn't go resting a big box of stuff on the paint of your 540i's rear bumper, now, would you? I have the top surface of my rear bumper covered with 12 mil 3M clear bra material to protect from accidental scrapes, but I would never set anything with any weight on the bumper b/c of the deformation risks. You just have to accept that this vehicle just isn't built for utilitarian SUV duty.

That said, body shops can do wonders with these plastic bumper covers. They can use heat and other methods to reform it and remove dents, though it may not be quite so simple if you dented the styrofoam bumper padding underneath.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm fresh from a recon mission with bad news. Lexus RX built on a Toyota Windom platform does have plastic plate insert. Same with Acura MDX built on Honda Odyssey platform. Recall that neither is marketed as a Range Rover killer. So once again some1 @ Infiniti was out to lunch.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I believe that encourages or indicates that the bumper is structurally able to handle the weight of someone stepping on it.. The FX bumper would fold like a $2 suitcase. So Infiniti is not going to make available this item. You would think that you could actually make something and use 3m adhesive to attach. I'll have to think about that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts