Infiniti FX Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Re: Hatch switch broke, said not covered under Elite Warrant

The rust is coming from the switch bracket, not the trim pieces. The dealer sells you the same switch bracket that will rust again. Either buy a new bracket assembly and youll be fine for a couple years, or custom fab a new one like I did.

·
Registered
40 Posts

johnmax said:
So I decided to repair it today. Another example of Infiniti being cheap on a part of the vehicle :roll: . Yes they use a piece of metal to hold in the switch that is not rustproof, nor the screws that hold it in. So I decide to make my own bracket....

I just noticed rust build up on both sides of the trim that is below the license plate (on my 2007 FX). Is the procedure to remove that trim the same (remove the plastic interior cover and then the screws)? I took mine to a touch less car wash about a month back, I'm thinking water got in there.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts

Procedure is the same on all 1st gen FXs. And its not simply because you went to a car wash. The corrosion starts the moment ANY moisture gets in there- its not sealed. My FX took 4-5 years before it showed up, and was always exposed to rain and such.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts

thareesh said:
I just noticed rust build up on both sides of the trim that is below the license plate (on my 2007 FX). Is the procedure to remove that trim the same (remove the plastic interior cover and then the screws)? I took mine to a touch less car wash about a month back, I'm thinking water got in there.
Take it to the dealership. They'll replace it under warranty no questions asked. I did the same recently...

·
Premium Member
204 Posts

I did the same job like you in my friends FX, but instead of using ABS I took aluminum strip. But got another problem. The button is working no more.
I wonder if its possible to fix it somehow :/

concerning the chrome trim removal, I used a grip of the hammer(wooden part) . Just pushed the bolts one by one.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the write up John Max!

This finally happened to me...the hatch switch broke. Can someone give me a brief instruction on how to remove the trim (plastic cover on the inside of the backdoor) to get access to remove the chrome infiniti plate. I opened the square plastic covers and saw nuts and bolts, but next to the tail lights. I thought that was for securing the tail lights. Thank you.

K

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bzb, there are screws that hold that piece of trim to the hatch. Two screws towards the middle and one screw at each end. I believe they are 8 mm. With those four screws removed, you then can remove the piece of trim but you will need to do so using plastic tools to pry it away from the core as there are two snaps that hold it to the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fixed my switch in 10 minutes. Only removed plastic inside cover of rear hatch and located cable/grommet for switch. Pushed grommet/cable towards switch and used #10 blue ribbed
plastic anchor to push switch into position. Used RTV to make permanent.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts