Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Nicely done John! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for rust water. :?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
nice fix. these brackets all rot out like this. I had a 2 year old fx apart & it looked like the bracket itself was 10 years old already, well on it's way to rotting away down to nothing like yours... I'm sure this is going to become a much more common problem as time passes & more fx's get to be older now...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Kinda strange they went cheap with metal parts that would eventually rust when they coulda gone even cheaper with plastic parts that would never rust...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Holy Cow! That's a lot worse than I expected to see in there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine have the same problem, just got it fix bought a new switch and got it fixed. Shitty quality on the switch.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
I assume the new switch had the same ready to rust bracket attached to it, right? You'd think they'd fix that. :roll:

·
Registered
82 Posts
johnmax said:
I assume the new switch had the same ready to rust bracket attached to it, right? You'd think they'd fix that. :roll:
Yup ready to RUST bracket, hopefully will last me for a while :D

·
Registered
942 Posts
Re: Hatch switch broke, said not covered under Elite Warrant

FXist said:
johnmax said:
Yup ready to RUST bracket, hopefully will last me for a while :D
Mine was JUST as rusty if not worse. I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Well, the **** button in my 03 just fell in on me! I think the button might also be stuck pressed in becuase as I drive, the beeping from the intelligent key randomly goes off and its driving me nuts. Luckily I found this thread, first of all, great write up, its been very helpful so far. I have all the interior trim off, I then took off the 4 nuts holding the finisher in place but I cant get the finsher to come off. Is there any trick to getting it off without damaging the finisher or body?

Thanks,
aamir

·
Registered
942 Posts

ironfistt said:
Well, the **** button in my 03 just fell in on me! I think the button might also be stuck pressed in becuase as I drive, the beeping from the intelligent key randomly goes off and its driving me nuts. Luckily I found this thread, first of all, great write up, its been very helpful so far. I have all the interior trim off, I then took off the 4 nuts holding the finisher in place but I cant get the finsher to come off. Is there any trick to getting it off without damaging the finisher or body?

Thanks,
aamir
There are two clips, force those out -- just don't break the chrome!

·
Registered
22 Posts

Whats the best way to force out the clips? Yank on the finisher from the outside, push on the finisher studs from the inside with a rod, ect????

·
Registered
942 Posts

ironfistt said:
Whats the best way to force out the clips? Yank on the finisher from the outside, push on the finisher studs from the inside with a rod, ect????
you have to yank from the outside, just hold close to where the clips are, then you won't break the chrome trim.

it's similar to removing the front grille if you ever did that, you just yank and hope the clip doesn't break! I hate clips for that reason.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I yanked on that thing as hard as I could for 20min and it wouldn't come off! Had a couple friends try with no luck either. Finally took a screwdriver, wrapped it in a towel and pried it off by the clips. Didn't cause any damage and came off real quickly. When I put it back, I might leave the clips off.

·
Registered
942 Posts

ironfistt said:
I yanked on that thing as hard as I could for 20min and it wouldn't come off! Had a couple friends try with no luck either. Finally took a screwdriver, wrapped it in a towel and pried it off by the clips. Didn't cause any damage and came off real quickly. When I put it back, I might leave the clips off.
Be sure to wd-40 your bolts if you can, mine were rusted to all heck.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Chedman13 said:
Definatley, Im going to clean off the 4 bolts that hold the finisher in place and get some stainless nuts and ditch the factory ones that are rusting. I also bought a new switch since the old one doesnt work. Ill secure that switch with to the finisher with some stainless screws and even spray rustoleum on the switch bracket.

Its just absolutely mind boggling that infiniti put so much technology into this car yet took shortcuts on simple things such as this! Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
942 Posts

ironfistt said:
Chedman13 said:
Definatley, Im going to clean off the 4 bolts that hold the finisher in place and get some stainless nuts and ditch the factory ones that are rusting. I also bought a new switch since the old one doesnt work. Ill secure that switch with to the finisher with some stainless screws and even spray rustoleum on the switch bracket.

Its just absolutely mind boggling that infiniti put so much technology into this car yet took shortcuts on simple things such as this! Thanks again for the help.
Ha yeah. Well my button lasted 115,000 miles so I can't complain as the fix is easy and cheap (if you don't go to a dealer).

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have exactly the same problem too. Mine is also liquid copper in colour! I forgot how to take off the rear hatch inside panel off. Are there any screws holding it in place, or do I just pry it off?

·
Registered
22 Posts

CannedBrit said:
I have exactly the same problem too. Mine is also liquid copper in colour! I forgot how to take off the rear hatch inside panel off. Are there any screws holding it in place, or do I just pry it off?

I saw this in another post http://www.infinitifx.org/download/file.php?id=13751. Pry out the 2 door handles, take off the 4 finisher clips, then pop off the cover.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thank you! :hello1: :notworthy:

·
Premium Member
145 Posts

I took both trims off last summer and removed the rust and painted them but I have the same problem again :-(.
So far only the lower trip has these ruststains and this is a bit strange because the lower trip has no big bracket like the upper trim.
Doe anybody know, if the dealers have a solution for it? Are there perhaps plastic brackets or clips for the two trim pieces?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts