Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome button that unlocks the hatch via intelligent key is broken. The car is covered under the Infiniti Elite Extended warranty and the dealer says that this problem is not covered? Is that right?

They want ~$580 to replace it.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
OOOooooo... may need to read the small print on your warranty... it'll tell you EXACTLY what's covered and NOT covered... but sounds strange... others have had these "sort" of things replaced with their Elite warranty before...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They claim the switch is a trim piece and not covered. I'll have to go to the dealer and get a copy of the covered parts list. I did call Infiniti USA and they said the dealer puts the part number into the computer and it tells them if it's covered or not.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
what is broken... the swithc doesn't work or the chrome is broken?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kenny...the switch doesn't work. The chrome looks fine, but when you press it nothing happens.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I lost the contract so can't look it up, but have the brochure. Here's what it says. I don't understand how they can call the button a trim piece when it is an electrical component. In addition, the bottom says "soft trim" is not covered, but I don't think plastic chrome is "soft" at all.

There is also a long list of components and multiple trunk related switches that are covered.

I guess I'm just building my case to complain to corporate and possible the attorney general. The dealer was pretty helpful, but said that they have had a couple of these before and corporate has denied their warranty claims.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yeah mine is failing (but I never use it so no big deal). Turbo has commented on it that the metal back there deteriorates and the switch fails.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
that's a bad situation cause it's an electrical switch, but the switch is a sub assy to a trim piece which is not covered because it's a trim piece, the switch is not available by itself or it would be covered :(

kinda like the fuel gauge, the floats are not covered under extended drivetrain warrenty, BUT, since the master float includes the fuel pump, NOW it is covered under extended drivetrain...

technicality... with enough effort you might be able to convince them otherwise... like john said though, the real problem is not the switch itself, but a little metal tab that mounts the switch... it rusts away & eventually when you push the button it just sinks into the opening not allowing the button to work anymore, sometimes they get stuck in the pressed in position cause of the way it retracts into the opening... if you take it apart you may be able to fix it yourself by resupporting the button to the opening...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sorry, that sucks big time. I can't believe infiniti would do this.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use my switch at least 4 times per week. Put bag in the back to the airport, get bag out at airport, fly, and repeat.

Dealer say it's a trim piece, but the warranty covers things like Body Emblems, grills, door handle, door moldings, Trunk lid trim" so what they say makes no sense. Specifically listed as covered, which may apply are "TRUNK / BACK DOOR INTELL KEY SWITCH - 90605, TRUNK LID TRIM - 90900" I sent a message to Infiniti USA about this, but haven't had a reply yet. If nothing happens I'm filing a complaint to the attorney general.

It's also not about the money or the inconvenience. I believe something like this should be covered and they are just trying to get out of it.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
You are 100% correct. Give them **** Tum!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
+1... let us know what happens!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Without too much fuss, corporate agreed to goodwill the repair. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning and they should be done tomorrow.

I'm thinking of trading the car in for something else though, possibly in the next couple weeks depending up when I have time to drive the FX back from iceland... I mean... Cleveland. I've been more satisfied with the dealer service on our SLK and E500. They appear to want to fix any issues and often go beyond what I expected. Infiniti has been below my expectations in terms of dealer / warranty service.

In my new car I will like seat heaters that actually get hot front and back, heated steering wheel, power hatch, adjustable softer suspension, 50/50 AWD split, brakes that aren't mushy, high quality feeling interior (no loose center console)... I will miss the sporty looks, better gas mileage, intelligent cruise and the fact that my FX is paid off.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Only thing about MBs are that their suspensions are mostly mushy and their steering always feels off...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is this a common issue? Has anyone actually taken the thing apart to fix it themselves? I use that switch quite often as well and would hate to see it fail now that I know how much of a pain in the ass it's going to be to get it fixed under warranty. ****, if you can't get it fixed with your Elite Warranty ...

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Mine has finally fallen in :evil: . That trim piece is like $238.59 ! :shock: I could get a used hatch off ebay for half that. :?

I gotta pull it apart and try to fix it.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
LOL... can't ignore it anymore huh?

Hope you get her fixed up soon... :)

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yeah I didnt notice it until today. The FX actually sits in the garage most of the week. I have a company car now (a lovely HHR Panel with our logos on it- woo hoo what a turd), and the wife drives the ol' Avalon. Since its kinda a beater she doesnt care if someone dents it. She wants the FX to stay nice. Which means I taught her well :D.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
johnmax said:
She wants the FX to stay nice. Which means I taught her well :D.
Geez... can you teach MY wife too?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
So I decided to repair it today. Another example of Infiniti being cheap on a part of the vehicle :roll: . Yes they use a piece of metal to hold in the switch that is not rustproof, nor the screws that hold it in. So I decide to make my own bracket....

First off, here is a sure sign that the bracket is rusting away. This is with the trimpiece slightly unclipped, but you will see it without it being loose. I never noticed the rust dripping down from the switch area until today. You guys should take a look at yours and if signs of rust are there, then take it to the dealer if its covered!

So to remove the trim, take the inside finish panel off, and there are 4 8mm screws (red arrows) and the harness for the switch that need to be unplugged (yellow arrow). There are 2 push clips also, but once you have the nuts out, you can pop the whole thing off.

Look at the rusty residue of the "bracket" thats in that cavity behind:

And the remains of the "bracket":

So now for the fix. I removed the leftover bracket bits and screws.

Then I sparingly hot glued the switch in its correct position so I could fab up a new bracket:

Made a new bracket with some ABS plastic (wont rust), bending it to fit with a micro torch and secured it to the trim with stainless screws (wont rust :roll:)

Tweaked the bracket a bit with a torch to get it to back up against the switch, then plastic welded the bracket to the outer shell of the switch, so it'll never move

Reassembled it and now it looks like it should! Now it doesnt make my Org sticker look like crap :D.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts