Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone on the forum can help me. I have a 2004 fx that suddenly began having steering problems during the extreme cold weather last week. I had applied the brakes and was making a right turn to park when the steering wheel became hard to turn. When accelerating the car steers fine. The fluid level is okay and I have no leaks. I inspected the tie rods and they look okay. Any ideas as to what could be causing the hard steering? I do not think the problem could be the rack and pinion because the car steers fine when accelerating. Could the problem be the high pressure hose? Has anyone experienced this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Infiniti FX35 and find that the steering pulls to either side during the extreme cold only. Maybe it's a result of the AWD or Traction Control? Once the temp gets to near 0 degrees Celsius, it does not happen.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 2004 FX35 as well. When you say hard steering it depends how difficult it is to turn. My car is the same but it has been that way since I can remember. This car has always had a heavy steering wheel.

After seeing a few posts about it, I am thinking myself if there is a problem or if this is normal...maybe worth finding out by having the dealer look at it.

Ken

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Could also be your steering fluid needs replacement. If it's old, maybe the fluid gets too viscous at cold temps. Usually the steering pump is tied in with the throttle. More gas usually means more power to the power steering pump, which may be all it needs to get past viscous steering fluid? Just a guess...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just joined this forum because I'm interested to buy a pre-owned 2011 FX50. I had a test drive yesterday and I did find that the steering was kinda of heavy. It was manageable but it definitely felt heavier than my Mercedes Benz C350. Today I went to a dealership and test drove the QX70, and the steering felt evenly weighted though. The FX50 was on 21" and the QX70 on 20". It's unlikely that the additional 1" added so much weight. I can get used to the heavy steering but I just don't wish to buy the FX50 and later find out that there's something wrong with the steering wheel. Anyone please help to give some indication on how you feel about your FX and QX steering feel. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is an 09 50S. The steering is relatively heavy, compared to my wifes 2015 Benz GLK300 which I can steer with my pinky. Then I compare it to my previous car (2008 BMW X5) where steering was much heavier than the FX. I have recently upgraded wheels to 22 Vossen on Pirelli rubber, the steering has improved but not by much. I guess that's just how it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What turned out to be the problem? Cos I'm having the exact same problem. At high speed it's easier to turn, at low speed or a stop, it's difficult to turn and the power steering pump makes humming sound when I try to force it to turn.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What turned out to be the problem? Cos I'm having the exact same problem. At high speed it's easier to turn, at low speed or a stop, it's difficult to turn and the power steering pump makes humming sound when I try to force it to turn.
check your fluid level
make sure belt is ok
change PS pump
change PS rack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts