Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Patience is a virtue and right now I need God to give it to me now :(

Long of the short is this....Placed an order for an FX in Jan. Just came in March. Was waiting on my bonus from work and we were going to finalize the deal this week. However, Mother Nature decided to throw me the finger on Friday night. A hail storm popped up and two thunderstorm cells went right over the Infiniti dealership that had my FX. When all was said and done I now can own a Berrylium Golfball on four wheels if I so choose. Damage was done to the hood, roof, and drivers side. It was parked in between two SUV's and in front of a fence so it was spared damaged to the rear and passenger side. Most of the damage can hopefully be fixed by the Paintless Repair but there are two areas on the roof that hit creases that will need body work. This wasn't the worst of the vehicles as they had windows broken out, bumpers with holes, etc...it was a mess. Only 8 vehicles were miraculously spared the wrath...b/c they were under cover of some sort.

My question to everyone is this. I can possibly live with the dealer fixing the FX but for someone willing to wait 3 months for a prestine vehicle I would need some incentive to now buy it. What, if anything, do you think I should push for? Should I have them order a new one or have them take money off the existing one after they fix it (how much off?) Yes I can live with a fixed vehicle but it's really hard to chew right now knowing it isn't what I had waiting on me...especially since I know body work will be involved for the roof.

I'd love to see what anyone has to say on this...thanks FX owners... Hope to call myself one sooner than later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Personally, I'd wait it out for a new one not involved in the hail storm. I personally would hate to start out with a brand "new" car that had to be fixed before I drove it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
First - welcome to the group 8)
Second - no need for double postings.

Third - I'd either wait for another vehicle or ask for some sort of compensation. A little sheet metal work would not bother me as long as there was some reasonable compensation. If I am not mistaken it is illegal to sell the car w/o disclosing that it was hail damaged so they can NOT sell it to someone else w/o a price reduction. I'd expect a couple of thousand and ask for free accessories and/or extended warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the double posting but was looking to get as much advice/suggestions as possible...

So, if you were to get compensation...what would you ask for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
See edited post above for more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
moved post

I would demand another one. Beforehand, check the VIN to make sure they follow through and don't switch it on you.

My understanding is the FX you were interested in is still under their title. So, plain and simple, that's their problem. No offense to them, it's just business. I'm watching too much Apprentice. haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
Personally I would wait, but it would depend on the HUGE discount they would offer you for getting a "new" car that's already had body work done... $10K off would do it for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
damage...

Here's the extent of the damage. It's the hood, roof, and drivers side upper quarter that was damaged. Nothing to the back or passenger side. The worst was the crease under the roof rail that is going to require the body work...unfortunately it didn't come out great in the pic...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
get a new one because you are gonna take a major hit in depreciation due to the body work as soon as you drive it off the lot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
its a brand new car. laugh at them if they try to sell it to you. make em get you a new one and wait. if you already sold your car , make them put you in a loaner.

the good news on all of this is that my FX was in a hail storm last year that had damage to the same degree of depth but about 20 times more dents...no joke....i had a paintless dent removal guy come in and, no joke, he took them ALL out in just one day and there was NO signs that it had ever happened.

im a picky picky picky guy too. i inspected this thing in all kinds of light and at all angles and up close in the direct sun to see if the paint was damaged down deep and there was literally NO signs of damage.

if this was already your car, i woundlt worry but since it is on the lot, id just go for a new one....**** you are paying for that, otherwise you might as well buy used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
also, i removed the dupliacte post since there were no responses to that thread.

brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I wouldn't buy it. The car already had body damage due to hails. Unless you get a hugh discount. Remember to any kind of body work get reported to Carfax. I used to live in Texas a few years ago and my Infiniti J30 was park outside my garage. It got hail damages, traded it for FX late last year and the dealer told me it was in a hail damage and I pay for it. So, let just say in a few years you want to sell or trade your car, you'll get hit by carfax report. In a way that new Fx with hail damage will be way depreciated. So, if the dealer want to get rid of that car at real good price, I wouldn't buy it and have them order you another one. Believe me it's worth the wait. I waited a year to get my car and now I don't want to drive anything else. Good luck :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw the work they had done on another FX that went through the same hail storm. It had the paintless repair done and it was perfect. My issue is with the roof since it will require body work. Which means they'll need to either skin the roof and break the welds/seals or repair in place with means bondo/drilling. Neither of these are appealing.

The dilema I have is that I have my existing vehicle which is basically sold and was supposed to have been completed this week. So now I'm in a bind b/c who's to say I'll find a good offer for my vehicle when I go to sell again in 3 mos (99 ford exploder) Just not sure how much leverage I have to get a good deal/what I want.

Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
h00kemh0rns said:
I saw the work they had done on another FX that went through the same hail storm. It had the paintless repair done and it was perfect. My issue is with the roof since it will require body work. Which means they'll need to either skin the roof and break the welds/seals or repair in place with means bondo/drilling. Neither of these are appealing.

The dilema I have is that I have my existing vehicle which is basically sold and was supposed to have been completed this week. So now I'm in a bind b/c who's to say I'll find a good offer for my vehicle when I go to sell again in 3 mos (99 ford exploder) Just not sure how much leverage I have to get a good deal/what I want.

Any thoughts?
I agree with everyone. Depreciation is key. Carfax will kill your investment when it is time to sell. I would not take it unless dealer offer is of a huge discount. It is still their car, don't let them bully you into taking it. Don't fall for the guilt trips either. Only parents can get away with that. :p

One member above said to ask them to give you a loaner while a new one was being ordered/transported in. That is a good idea.

Another method maybe is to just rent a car for the time being (something really cheap and stingy) so that you can sell your old ride. Like you said, you might not get a buyer to go for your price point in the future.

Public transportation? Austin has one, no? Carpool with buddy to work. Another idea. Or, maybe borrow a homey's ride for the time being? Maybe a thought?

Best of luck in your endeavors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
h00kemh0rns said:
The dilema I have is that I have my existing vehicle which is basically sold and was supposed to have been completed this week. So now I'm in a bind b/c who's to say I'll find a good offer for my vehicle when I go to sell again in 3 mos (99 ford exploder) Just not sure how much leverage I have to get a good deal/what I want.
IF you plan on keeping the FX for a while then the immediate depreciation hit is not that big of a deal. Since clearly waiting is an inconvenience and a possible income hit then IF they discount the hail damaged one enough and throw in freebies it could be the way to go. After seeing the pics a couple of thousand is not enough; ask for $5K plus free extended warranty at a minimum.

IF you do not plan on keeping the FX for a while I'd wait on another car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so much for the advice. The consensus seems to be the same here at work. Dealer should be calling any minute to discuss options.

My stand point will be that I want a new vehicle ordered. Knowing full well this is end of month (and they had been pushing this deal to get in their March sales) the ball is in my court. So they'll probably come with the open ended question of 'What will it take to get you to take the FX' My response will be 10K off, Free Extended Warranty, Infiniti loaner, and repair the FX. Otherwise I'm waiting another 3 mos. If it goes with the latter hopefully they can expedite this order.

Again, thanks everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
I would use the fact that you already sold your car as leverage. New FX or repaired FX are not the only options. Make them understand that your car is already sold and the reality is that they might lose the deal entirely unless they give you what your asking because you need a car NOW and can easily go to another dealer to accomodate this need. Being stuck with a hail damages car and no deal at all is not a spot they want to be stuck in. Much more leverage than New vs repaired. This will also help with moving up the delivery timeframe if you decide to go with a new FX.

-NJJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They didn't want to make any reasonable deal so I ordered a new one. In short, they'll be able to sell it just not to me (also have the vin just in case), and I'll have a new one in two to three months. The sooner the better...

Oh well, just another one of those life instances you wish didn't happen. Just sux to wait.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top