1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
239 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT take it to Mothers. They did an absolutely shitty job on my M3. I had to take it back 3 times for them to do it semi-right. There is still some trapped dust in some areas but I've learned to overlook them since I do not want to go back there again.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had Alta Mere do mine as they've done all of my vehicles without any problems (tinting that is if you've read my post about them in detailing.)

I'm seriously considering getting this done but want to see if anyone has it and if it's worth the extra money.

·
Registered
239 Posts
h00kemh0rns said:
I had Alta Mere do mine as they've done all of my vehicles without any problems (tinting that is if you've read my post about them in detailing.)

I'm seriously considering getting this done but want to see if anyone has it and if it's worth the extra money.
Do they do Huper there?

I forgot to mention Huper Optiks does indeed truely work and I can definitely feel the difference after having it installed(IE keeping the heat out). The down side is that it takes so long to dry.

Here are some pictures, 30% rears and 50% fronts.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks really good on that M3.

How long of a difference for dry time/when you can roll the windows down compared to normal tint?

What was the cost at Mothers?

Was it a particular location that frogged it up?

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can roll your windows down after two weeks, however you will continue to see bubbles for a month before it fully cures.

I had two cars done at one time so they charged me $350 for the M3.

·
Registered
387 Posts
[quote="hotfx45]Here are some pictures, 30% rears and 50% fronts.[/quote]

That tint sounds pretty cool and would be really helpful here in sunny Florida. I haven't yet researched if anybody here does it. Did you only get 50% on the sides because that's the legal limit there? Just by the % it would seem pretty light. It's a little hard to tell the difference between your front and backs because it looks as thought the pictures were taken during the dawn or dusk.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the limits for TX:

Windshield
  • Cannot extend downward beyond the AS-1 line; or
    Cannot extend more than 5 inches from the top of the windshield without an AS-1 line.
    If sunscreening devices are used above the AS-1 area of the windshield, the light transmittance value must be 25% or more;
    The luminous reflectance of any additional sunscreening devices used must be 25% or less;
    Sunscreening device cannot be red, blue or amber in color.
Side Windows
  • All side windows must have at least 25% light transmittance and luminous reflectance of 25% or less, over the entire surface area of the window.

*Rear (back) Window
  • If vehicle has left and right outside mirrors, there is no minimum light transmission requirement.
    If not equipped with both outside mirrors, the rear window must have no less than 25% light transmittance and a luminous reflectance of 25% or less.
    The manufacturers installed glazing shade band is excluded.

Watch the video's and you'll notice that it is more translucent than typical tint. You won't have the dark windows but it blocks the heat and UV light much more than tint.

I'm going to get a price quote from two places in town to see what the cost is. I already had my fronts done to match the rear ($59) so I'm still semi-debating if I should do it.

Unfortunately, one of the places I was going to go to was Mothers. They have two locations but I'm curious about the quality of the job they'll do and which location actually frogged up his M.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The heat reduction is really appealing but I also like the somewhat privacy that regular tint provides. I've been thinking about re-doing my front windows to 20% tint to match the backs.

h00kemh0rns - if you get it done are you going to re-do all the windows? Or just the fronts?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to have all windows done. About 95% sure I'm going to do it. Only hesitation is I JUST got the fronts done and I want to find a good installer here in Austin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.