Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys-

just wanted to drive the car a bit har lately, with heavier footed accelerations, and spirited climbs, to help 'convince' the ecu that i (we) meant business...

here's the runs::

2/3 tank of (florida) fuel, 93 amoco
approx. 20 ft. above MSL
61.5°F and 60% humidity (feels muggy)

165lbs (me)
36lbs tires -each
3600 miles
ONLY mod is the grounding 7-wire kit..... (OEM air filter visibly blackened - to be changed tomorrow, while other items are addressed, like seat rails, window motor, etc...)

initial run = 6.42 in manumatic run, but i really am not comfy with the way this seems to work (bangs and clangs-not smoothe) , so no more for me...
(without the shift mode-mod)

full-on auto modes hereafter::

1st-6.29 good, tires warming more...

2nd-6.19 launch tech. better...

3rd-6.07 how it should be

4th-6.07 cannot believe i got the identical time, but thas what it said

5th-6.22 boggy boggy again

i cannot for the life of me figure out how to launch awd though...

feels like there's a real immediate 'lag' out of the hole, then it romps like mad from 2k on up....

also, seems that it shifts (auto mode only for me..) b-4 reds quite a bit.. (guess thas optimum torque...)

-es

reposting on FA

will be loaner testing sometime soon, i bet....... :twisted:

another run...... in the pouring down rain, i was able to click off a 6.53 best about one week ago.. BEFORE really driving harder/quicker than i usually would....... the car has insanely great pickup in all weather really...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after thinking.....

i wonder if a slightly shorter gearing, and/ OR some decent hi-flow cats/true duallies (2¼ MAX, for added backpressure) would yield SUB 6 sec runs??

that, would be worth it....

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You may also want to raise tire pressure if it seems a little slow out ouf the hole...some spin may help...clickoff the active probably...Once the suspension mods and the additional trans stuff done off to the track for a test and tune night run after run...gives 1/4 and 60 foot no 0-60 stuff...best way to learn the launch stuff.
Off to Miami for some warmth and rest?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Finally! So you're averaging a bit over 6.1 sec; not bad at all. I sorka's times over on FA; he's averaging 6.4 @ 1000ft, same temp, likely lower humidity..... All this makes me feel pretty good about my 6.4 avg. :twisted: ! I'm anxious for IssaFX to make some runs with his mods to get an idea of how I'll do once I get all that stuff on; I'd like to get her to a sub 6 sec. avg.

As for the launch lag, if your power curve looks anything like the VQ's, it isn't surprising; you don't start to get into the meat of the torque until after 2200RPM. Doing the brake fuse mod and power-braking launches @2500RPM should yield better results; I'll have to try this soon myself.

Don't recall what Sorka's launch/shift technique was, but everyone else I've discussed it with has said doing the runs in auto mode works best; it's kind of weird how I get better results in manual mode. I'm anxious to see what you learn about this shifting gadget as well.

I wonder how much tire pressure has to do with all this; you were running 36psi? Was that cold or hot pressure? I was running 32 cold and 35 hot.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MustGoFastR said:
Finally! So you're averaging a bit over 6.1 sec; not bad at all. I sorka's times over on FA; he's averaging 6.4 @ 1000ft, same temp, likely lower humidity..... All this makes me feel pretty good about my 6.4 avg. :twisted: ! I'm anxious for IssaFX to make some runs with his mods to get an idea of how I'll do once I get all that stuff on; I'd like to get her to a sub 6 sec. avg.

As for the launch lag, if your power curve looks anything like the VQ's, it isn't surprising; you don't start to get into the meat of the torque until after 2200RPM. Doing the brake fuse mod and power-braking launches @2500RPM should yield better results; I'll have to try this soon myself.

Don't recall what Sorka's launch/shift technique was, but everyone else I've discussed it with has said doing the runs in auto mode works best; it's kind of weird how I get better results in manual mode. I'm anxious to see what you learn about this shifting gadget as well.

I wonder how much tire pressure has to do with all this; you were running 36psi? Was that cold or hot pressure? I was running 32 cold and 35 hot.
mg-

36 hot.... i agree 100% with you about the 2200 rpm kicks.......

jus for the heck of it, i did the awd fuse pull, and the tires would roll like mad...... (too many lights on the dash, imo)... mad me laugh alot, but wheelspin was abundant... (in reverse too)

now, for some serious 45 mods........ i want 400 horse!!! :twisted:

will the brakelight fuse affect the awd of the 45's??

i still dont know if this applies to awd

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
esemes said:
will the brakelight fuse affect the awd of the 45's??

i still dont know if this applies to awd
It shouldn't adversely affect anything. All it does is kill power to your brake lights, which happens to be where the ECM gets the signal to let it know if the brakes and gas are pressed at the same time. Shouldn't matter if you are AWD or not, but just as doing the mod is a bit rough on the rear end of a RWD car, it will put strain on both your front and rear diffs/gearing. I'm sure it would be fine for the occasional fun, but I wouldn't do it every day.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
What happened?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
yeah es... explain :?

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK, just dug out my old gtech-pro. Took a while to find it. Havent't used it in a few years.

60F
1/2 tank
CA 91 gas.
250 lbs (me + stuff)
3000 miles on engine
1000 elevation
Tires at 36 psi

Best run: 6.39 (done by taking foot off of brake and then flooring it).

Typical runs were in the the 6.43 range. The very first run I did was 6.7. The second run was 6.5(something). All runs after that were below 6.45.

This seems to me to be about in line with Infiniti's claims. I would expect another tenth with more break-in miles and anothe r tenth with 1/8 tank of gas.

I'll repeat with 1/4 tank of gas as soon as I can and again in another few K miles.

Manual shifting did not produce the best runs. Power braking did not produce the best run.

·
Registered
848 Posts
1000 ft. of elevation is probably good for a tenth or two also. Since Esemes is in FL, I assume his runs are at near sea level.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FromHereToInfiniti said:
1000 ft. of elevation is probably good for a tenth or two also. Since Esemes is in FL, I assume his runs are at near sea level.
about 20 ft above MSL (mean sea level)

can find one road at 4ft, will try there next, with fumes in the tank (betting the added weight might be helpful however)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Air temp is a factor as well. Sorka had 10 deg cooler air, so this would negate at least some of the elevation difference and these engines LOVE cold air. Still, this IS likely the main reason for the differences between their times; weight, milage, road conditions, tire pressure and temp, etc. are all factors as well. 3/10ths isn't much diference and all FX45 will not perform exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MustGoFastR said:
Air temp is a factor as well. Sorka had 10 deg cooler air, so this would negate at least some of the elevation difference and these engines LOVE cold air. Still, this IS likely the main reason for the differences between their times; weight, milage, road conditions, tire pressure and temp, etc. are all factors as well. 3/10ths isn't much diference and all FX45 will not perform exactly the same.
also, the launch absolutely stinks, IMO....

i can almost count a half-second lag before the motor awakens to goto work (my loaner g35 blew the fx away on launches!!) this car should be able to knick sub 6 sec, without the bogging factor...

wonder what a g35 6mtc would do on the ol g-tech gadget?? (might have to find one , soon, and try)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
My history is 1/4 mile and my street races with the FX45 have been off roll and 30 or 50 and up because that is where the car felt strongest.The more I thought abought this BOG feeling and the jerky off throttle on feeling of the car ...Torgue Converter Stall rang a bell.On my way to a mid morning meeting I checked the stall(2300-2400).Puts you out in a bad place when the car wants 3500 to fly.the Z sites and G35 folk talk of higher stall converters and I think I now see why!Any comments?

PS G-Tech vs G-timer which is better or are they the same?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've experienced a stall about 6.5K RPM. The car didn't want to shift :?:
As for BOG i havn't had a problem with that yet. The throttle feels very respnsive and the throttle lag is not that bad compared to Acura. Man did my TL-s have a huge throttle lag once you floored it.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Torgue converter stall is bringing the car up on throttle with the brake firmly held...at the point where the the car creeps or will not go to a higher rpm is TCS...truth me it is not 6.5K..that may be the overrev stutter..on the 45 it is about 7100

1 - 17 of 17 Posts