Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was never an issue or a mod that people used to do often when I had my M3.

What is the benefit from adding the grounding kit? I'm just curious because I have never really heard of it before

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yeah, there's an article at 350z. I've yet to see any convincing evidence that this is anything more than a bunch of pretty wires under the hood. This guy claims to have a BS & MS, but mentions that "Some believe there is too much Electromagnetic Interference for the ECM to operate at peak efficiency". He doesn't state that he agrees, but he doesn't refute it either. Is he implying that the ECM is dropping bits?...BS indeed...(for the record, I'm a software engineer, with many years of prior hardware experience)

There was someone selling homebrewed kits a while back that promised to send out a few to some of the more vocal disbelievers, but I never saw any of those folks respond with positive comments about them, and know at least one who never received it.

I just had my oil changed today, and saw some for sale at the dealership for $120+...pretty steep for a bunch of wire...wonder what the profit margin is? :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
<my best sorka immitation>
"It's all snake oil."
</my best sorka immitation>

Seriously though, unless you have an old, rusted out chasis that is giving you ground problems, these wires will not do anything for your FX (or any new car manufactured in the past 20+ years). Save your money for something proven, like the Turbonator. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
If you have a spare $50 and already have your turbonator...do it(snake oil indeed...that elevates it!)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here let me answer this question, due to the fact that I have them installed in my FX35. I'm not sure what types of results you will have with your FX45.

1. I have noticed that the FX has a quicker start.
2. At idle, the engine is running quieter.
3. The bass is tighter and hits a little more harder from the Bose subwoofer.

And last...it looks good under the hood!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
All that and no Plenum? ...sup? :?: :?

·
Registered
848 Posts
infx35...I've read similar comments from others, and I'm glad that you're happy with yours. However, all of the things you've noticed could also be attributed to perception, unless you've actually taken measurements of some sort. Personally, I'm betting that it's more like the "placebo effect" that patients get when given sugar pills, and they suddenly feel better. This is similar to the "butt dyno" that many speak of...but that's another debate. :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
infx35...I've read similar comments from others, and I'm glad that you're happy with yours. However, all of the things you've noticed could also be attributed to perception, unless you've actually taken measurements of some sort. Personally, I'm betting that it's more like the "placebo effect" that patients get when given sugar pills, and they suddenly feel better. This is similar to the "butt dyno" that many speak of...but that's another debate. :D
I respect your opinion regarding this and that I haven't got any proof as far as measurements if the grounding kits have actually any function other than "eyecandy".
I too was skeptical regarding them, but after installing a set in my Lexus IS300, that changed my mind. There are similar improvements regarding the grounding kits.
All I can say is that in my case, there is certainly an improvement!
The most solid evidence is coming from my wife...she's noticed how quite it is at idle and how "different" the stereo sounds...for the better :D

I'm not "selling" anything, but just letting fellow FX members know what the grounding kit has done for me...just my .02 :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
as an expert in electromagnetic effects, what you are doing is improving a poor factory design. As the electronic packages get more and more complicated, grounding and electrical bonding become more important. as the vehicle ages grounds loosen and corrode which may increase system noise effects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts