Infiniti FX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
How much was the kit for the vq?

Do you guys think it was worth the money?

NM, i got a responce from insaneamine...but do you think the tranny(7th wire) is worth getting? Have you guys installed the tranny grounding wire yet. Its only a five dollar difference so I may just get it. Could you guys post pics as to where you attached the tranny grounding wire.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Well it took 3 1/2 months to find the 35 minutes I needed to install my grounding kit (children consume way too much time), but I'm happy to report that it's done. It looks nice and the quality of the kit is excellent. Many thanks to gtxjoe for his pics!

Looks like the grounding wires work really well. The engine purrs like a kitten, my 0-60 time has dropped to a mere 4.5 seconds and I'm getting 31.7 MPG. :lol: OK, I have yet to drive the car with them installed but they were certainly worth the (free) price. Thanks InsaneAmine. I'll post an update sometime in the future after an exhaustive evaluation. :wink:

I had already replaced the engine cover prior to taking the pic - oh well. I think the blue color is nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
may i ask what exactly the grounding kit does? i'm somewhat of a amatuer when it comes to cars. i'm here to learn so please bear with me. thanks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
meanhoe said:
may i ask what exactly the grounding kit does? i'm somewhat of a amatuer when it comes to cars. i'm here to learn so please bear with me. thanks.
Many of us have disagreed as to if a grounding kit actually does anything, or if it's just snake oil (which is my opinion). Though some of the pretty wires look cool from the photos I've seen, my prior years as a computer tech, and lack of any evidence to the contrary, tell me that there's nothing to them. That said, some folks have claimed to be able to tell a difference, though nothing more than a "butt dyno" was used. This will likely stir up alot of hate mail to me, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. There were several threads discussing this hear and on FreshAlloy if you do a search.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Actually, there were some dyno tests done over on My350Z that actually showed a 1-2 HP increase, but others argued it could have simply been within the acceptable margin of error for the dyno. I have the kit (7 wire) and it's hard to tell. I could swear the engine felt smoother and the shifts were a bit smoother, but who knows? It was an inexpensive, easy to install mod and a fun little project.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Ok, since so many of you now have the grounding kit, where can I get the best deal for a 7 wire kit.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
882 Posts
My audio guy said its probably a good idea to have one if you rhave an aftermarket stereo

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Yeah I have changed all the speakers in my FX and added an amp to push my sub so I guess I do need it. But I cant seem to find any out there made specially for the FX, and I am scared to have some one make one over here since I dont think they would know what they are doing.

Jim

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
This is a 6 wire kit, is this all we need. I see people with 7 wire?

Jim :?:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yes, the 7th wire goes to the auto trans. Just e-mail Z-Xtreme and he'll add a 7th wire for you; that's where I got mine. The wire lengths are the same for the FX as the Z and G.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok....just received on of Insaneanime's kit. Very nicely constructed. My observation: is it me (placebo effect) or is this thing really working? Throttle seems more responsive (like prior post) and has more "grunt" in the lower end of the tach. Someone pinch me!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good to hear.

I just bought my 6 wire kit used from a 350Z guy and I hope to get an impression of the wires this weekend. More than anything I think it'll help out my audio.

·
Registered
224 Posts
mushutofu said:
Good to hear.

I just bought my 6 wire kit used from a 350Z guy and I hope to get an impression of the wires this weekend. More than anything I think it'll help out my audio.
My bro-in-law just installed a kit on his I30 and had similar impression. He also said his audio improved....though my ears are not as discriminating as his.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just installed the 6 wire kit and test drove it....

DON"T waste your money. Worthless mod imo

·
Registered
2 Posts
what in the name of automotive snake-oil is a grounding kit??

i had never heard of one before stumbling across this thread. I mean, maybe for subs - ive got 2x 1/0 gauge terminals anchored to the frame in the back for my aftermarket amps.

but a grounding kit for the engine? the engine and transmission are bolted directly to the chassis. No amount of external wiring is going to improve upon the engine's intrinsic contact with the frame.
Your car would literally need to be mostly rust to see ground bandwidth drop enough to where adding wire would help.

if your infiniti is in that kinda way - my condolences :(

first post here by the way. lol sorry to come out swinging :)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts