Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a head's up - I am also working with InsaneAmine (http://www.z-xtreme.com) on a grounding kit for the FX35. I saw Esemes mention he was working with him on the FX45, and I contacted InsaneAmine also :)

Anyways, they should arrive Wed/Thur of this week. I will post a pic when they come in. Hopefully I will get to the install this weekend. I was reading a post over at my350z.com and I guess InsaneAmine has sold over 500 of these kits to 350Z and G35 owners. I would hope FX owners can get some benefit from them also. Here is a repost of a Grounding Kit article for the 350Z.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
GREAT WORK JOE!

did he say anything about the progress of the fx45 yet??? i have been waiting awhile since my last email to him (have corresponded alot in the beginning)

i hope he's ready to get back to me (us) soon.... im anxious to make progress with this too

keep us posted on their arival, and maybe we can get a FX.org member/group buy together....

sms

·
Registered
325 Posts
cool..keep us posted and look forward to your pictures.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
esemes said:
GREAT WORK JOE!

did he say anything about the progress of the fx45 yet??? i have been waiting awhile since my last email to him (have corresponded alot in the beginning)

i hope he's ready to get back to me (us) soon.... im anxious to make progress with this too

keep us posted on their arival, and maybe we can get a FX.org member/group buy together....

sms
In his emails, he just mentioned he was working with someone on th FX45. I assumed you were further along already, so I didn't ask how it was going. I saw your pic with the grounding points, did you send any wire length estimates?

As for the FX35, I think he may just be sending a G35 kit for a test fit. The main issues to address will probably be the:
wire length to the battery,
wire length to main grounding point,
wire length to transmission.
The rest of the cables should be the correct size already.

When I get the kit, I let him know I received them and I can ping him on the FX45 kit :wink:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some initial pics of the grounding kit. This one is a 7 wire grounding kit (The extra 2 wires are for an additional chassis ground and an auto transmission ground). I hope to do the install this weekend, so I will post pics of the complete install later.

(Here's a recap of this got started - I posted this to the FA forum)
With the help of InsaneAmine at http://www.z-xtreme.com, I am test fitting a custom engine grounding kit for the FX35. He has a 350Z and has been selling these grounding kits to the 350Z and G35 crowd for over a year now (something like over 500 sold). Anyways, since we are all using the VQ35DE engine, there is no reason why the FX35 can't benefit from the grounding kit too. He is also working with Esemes to get a custom FX45 grounding kit developed (Eseme's post gave me the idea to contact him).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nice! Please post pics once installed. I persoanlly love the red wires. :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well I'm getting the grounding kit from InsaneAmine shipped to me. I will post results as soon as I get them and install them :)

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I'm getting them as well. I want to write an unbiased review about them and to that end would like some help.

First off, I know I will not notice any potential 1 or 2 hp gain - my butt dyno just isn't that sensitive. I love acceleration and I know quite well the difference that, say, 30 hp can make. But just a couple horses? Not me anyway.

Another problem is that the car (like all of ours) is brand new, idles very well, and the throttle already seems smooth and responsive. So I think the cards are stacked against my noticing any difference here as well.

I should be receiving "blue" wires so I guess I can comment on the aesthetic qualities, however I generally don't care much for "jewelry" of any sort (people or cars) so I doubt it will be worth much to me.

That kinda leaves the process of installing them. Now I'm reasonably competent with all kinds of tools and, although to a lesser degree cars, the install should be a snap -- so there probably won't be much to write about. I dunno.

Anyway, I guess for the next week or so while I wait for the wires to arrive, I'll pay very close attention to the idle, the idle RPM, how it feels and sounds to accelerate and so forth so that I can do a better job of comparing the "before and after". Honestly, I doubt I'll find any earth shattering results that will either support the myth or prove they work.

Any ideas how to judge this? What will you be doing?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Much of the same.

Keep a close eye on idle, rev speed, gas mileage, manu shifting, auto shift, that sort. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it does make any sort of difference.

·
Registered
325 Posts
How many wires are you guys getting? I would like to get the 7 wire set but is it difficult to get access to the point on transmission?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed pics

Hi all,

I see some people are getting to test the FX35 kit also. Cool.

Hey Esemes, I didn't get anything new from him about the FX45. If he is going to do the custom wiring, he will probably need some length estimates from him. Maybe that's what is stalling him.

Here are the installed pics. I haven't installed the 7th wire (trans one yet). I was thinking of pulling the FX up on the curb (both right wheels) so I can get under to install it.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Re: Installed pics

gtxjoe said:
I was thinking of pulling the FX up on the curb (both right wheels) so I can get under to install it.
Hey, this ain't no darn Cayenne buddy! Go buy a Touareg if you're gonna go curb climbing! :wink:

Seriously, the pics are great and I know I'll be referring to them often.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ditto on the pics. Thank so much for taking the time to take them and posting them. It'll make my install process a breeze. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Esemes,

GSH said he sent previously sent you an updated engine pic. I think you need to send him wire measurements before he can take the next step with the FX45. I noticed that with the FX35 install, the wires were just long enough to go around all the stuff in the engine bay without contacting the plenum. If they were too long then they no longer looked custom or good.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
gtxjoe said:
Hey Esemes,

GSH said he sent previously sent you an updated engine pic. I think you need to send him wire measurements before he can take the next step with the FX45. I noticed that with the FX35 install, the wires were just long enough to go around all the stuff in the engine bay without contacting the plenum. If they were too long then they no longer looked custom or good.
spoke to him on tues....

sent new images, for him.....

next step is measuring...

can you help?? i am wondering about a few of the oem ground-points.....

lemme start a new post.......

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The main thing is to have one from the battery and 1 or 2 to a chassis ground and one to the auto trans if you can find a location, the rest go around the engine.

Try to do this:
- 1 from the battery negative to some engine location on passenger side (WIRE #3 on my pic)
- 1 from a major grounding point to the same engine location (on the fx35 it was between the power steering reservoir and coolant reservoir - you could see it went to the engine block with thinner gauge wire) (Wire #2 on my pic)
- from that side engine location, to the front of engine (WIRE #1)
- from the front of the engine, around the passenger side to the back (WIRE #4).
- from the front of the engine, around the driver side to the back (WIRE #5).
- from the back driver side to a chassis ground on the driver side (WIRE 6)
- find one for the auto trans if you can. (WIRE #7)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My kit's enroute. Est time of delivery Feb. 4th. Just in time for my road trip to Vermont :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I received my grounding kit from InsaneAmine yesterday. Anyone has pic of the grounding point of #7 wire to transmission?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts