Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nice! Love the M3. 8)

·
Registered
176 Posts
The EVO driver is a loser, but it looks like he had the M3 beat but a) can't shift and b) probably let off the gas so he wouldn't lose his learner's permit. :lol:

·
Registered
597 Posts
How do you say " ass rape " in German :lol: ? My 525i Beemer with 189HP 2.5L inline 6 used to pin me into the seat @ launch. My Infiniti G35 with 260HP 3.5L V6 didn't. Go figure that one out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Funny. I saw the link posted on the Porsche forums today as well from Racingflix.com. A glimpse into younger street-racing days.

That vehicle sounded slow for a stock Evo VIII. You'll notice on the sound clips that he seems to be short-shifting each gear, not too enthusiastically and not smoothly at that. The trash-talking braggert sure was quiet after the M3 trounced him though. There was a comment that the driver looked like a "FAT Eminem." :lol:

·
Registered
549 Posts
pudicus said:
My 525i Beemer with 189HP 2.5L inline 6 used to pin me into the seat @ launch. My Infiniti G35 with 260HP 3.5L V6 didn't. Go figure that one out.
It's all about traction, the torque curve at low RPMs, structural integrity and chassis engineering. That's why butt-dynos never work very well. My SL55 AMG with ~550HP/560 ft=lbs TQ is just as quick as my previous '02 996TT, 6sp with ~520HP/510 ft-lbs TQ on the highway at 80MPH+ and should be considerably faster up to 200MPH+ theoretically based on better aerodynamics and greater torque at all RPMs.

From 0-60MPH, the AWD 996TT never truly pinned me to anything yet runs realistic and consistent 3.5 secs 0-60MPH launching at only 2200 RPMs. Talk about no fuss and nothing more than a chirp accelerating. But, it definitely pins me and my passengers hard to the side bolsters in handling in the twisties (amazing G-forces on decreasing radius turns on the downslopes). Boy, I miss that car now. The MBs always feel relaxed when floored due to weight and chassis refinements/electronics. My SL55 is a solid 4.0-4.1 sec 0-60MPH manumatic (Speedshift on steering wheel F1 style racetrack technology @ 115 ms per shift and capable double downshifts on hard braking) but it doesn't feel like it being so smooth and relaxed. Engine-wise, super-charged (Kompressor) 5.5L V-8s are quieter and much smoother than Twin, turbo-charged 3.6L transverse, opposed sixes.

My '87 300HP Mustang GT back in college (~5.8 secs 0-60MPH 3:55 rear-end) felt like heaven was going to fall on me when I ran it hard and I recall that it would feel quicker (with all of the exhaust, body flex, transmission, gears and road-wind noise) than these German autos though it's not even close at any speed. In general, less refined body structure/engines/chassis on smaller vehicles always seem much quicker/faster than they really are in perception of speed. That's why miatas are always so much fun to drive.

·
Registered
176 Posts
RU_MATRX said:
From 0-60MPH, the AWD 996TT never truly pinned me to anything yet runs realistic and consistent 3.5 secs 0-60MPH launching at only 2200 RPMs.
Moderator, please move to the BS forum.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Not so fast on the BS call. I did some checking around and stock 996 Turbo is rated at 3.8, so modded a bit, 3.5 is achievable. Stage 4 turbo upgrade will get you there in 3.3 sec :shock:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I was going to call BS too, because a quick Google of "porsche 996 turbo 0-60" came up with numbers of 4.0-4.2. Then I came across this one at 3.6: http://www.stevecarter.com/911turbo.htm. Yeah, it's probably possible, but as you get closer to 0.0, those tenths of a second become much harder to cut off. Pretty soon we'll be in negative numbers. :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Here's a quote from Autoweek:
Our yellow test car posted a 0-to-60 run of 4.18 seconds, more than one tenth of a second quicker than Porsche claims. That time places it near the top of our all-time list, where the four quicker cars were also Porsches: 996 series 911 Turbo (3.94 seconds), 993 series 911 Turbo (3.86), GT2 (3.67) and Carrera GT (3.5).

·
Registered
549 Posts
All of you guys are funny. I don't fib and I don't whitewash facts. The comments following my post just goes to show you how very little you know ME or AWD sportscars like EVO VIIIs, 996TTs, Murcielagos, Gallardos and others. 3.5 secs 0-60MPH on my modified AWD TT vehicle is very easy, very consistent , highly relaxed AND conservative. 11.4-11.6 secs in the quarter mile with my same minor mods is consistent from East Coast to West Coast from similar vehicles. Porsche 996TTs run 3.9-4.0 consistently STOCK with only 415HP/415ft-lbs TQ, mine made more like 520HP/510 ft-lbs and is faster than a stock GT2 up to 60MPH. The times published on Porsche NA's website are the typical 4.2 secs for 0-100KM/H (0-62MPH) meaning 4.0-4.1 secs 0-60MPH. MB & Porsche are highly conservative on quoting 0-60MPH and HP figures as they've historically been unlike the guilty Asian and especially notorious US manufacturers (2001 Corvette Z06, actually corvettes in general). That's common knowledge around Porsche/MB owners.

My stock SL55 AMG probably makes 525-540HP STOCK, yet MB rates it at 493HP for marketing purposes. My modified SL55 AMG makes a conservative 550HP/560 ft-lbs TQ max and 90% of that TQ comes as low as 1800RPMs. The 2003+ E55s make the same 493HP/516ft-lbs at the crank consistently (same engine), yet MB rates them at 469HP to not usurp the mighty Ss/SLs/CLs. The SL600 doesn't make the so-called identical 493HP like the SL55 (highly unlikely from a completely engine architecture and size), more like 550-560HP/600+ ft-lbs based on weight. Hate to say it but the magazine readers and doubters here don't have the slightest experience or insight to know how truly fast AWD supercars can be with ECU/filters modifications or how they truly run stock.

Car & Driver ran the "STOCK" SL600 V12-TT @ 3.6 secs 0-60, 11.9 secs @ 120+MPH and we had a 20 pg highly active discussion on how that vehicle had to have had minor tuning for just a quoted 493HP/590 ft-lbs of TQ. I recall calculating 640HP acheived by an ECU mod for certain (Go try a HP/weight/quarter-mile calculator to confirm physics). I was the biggest voice on how that SL600 was not the same one you could pick up at any dealership. Besides, 625HP/640+ ft-lbs TQ Max is very easy with a Renntech Stage 3 upgrade that consists only of ECU upgrade, filters and a transmission shift remap which the 5.5L Kompressor AMG V-8s all have STOCK. A stock SL600 can realistically run that as confirmed on the track but you need BFG 18" drag radials, sea-level and optimal conditions as all of these vehicles are traction-limited. Further discussions welcome as I can back-up everything I state through direct experience and knowledge/insight from the best of the whole Porsche-Rennsport/MB community. No need for me to be humble or "bullshit" as a true sportscar enthusiast that has had exposure to many vehicles/bikes/facts/readings. Maybe I'll post this thread in the respective forums and let the knowledgeable school the truly uninformed? :oops:

Btw, my FX45 with only K&N filter and Mobile 1 Synthetic probably runs about 6.2 secs 0-60MPH, 14.9/15.0 quarter @ 92-93MPH? That's realistic..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Lovett said:
I agree totally dude! I am laughing my ass off right now at your comment! :lol:
Sorry to lay it flat out Lovett, but you have no clue period, based on your oh so insightful and inexperienced response. Get an :idea: , open your eyes, and start learning..........

·
Registered
549 Posts
dinofx35 said:
RU_MATRX said:
From 0-60MPH, the AWD 996TT never truly pinned me to anything yet runs realistic and consistent 3.5 secs 0-60MPH launching at only 2200 RPMs.
Moderator, please move to the BS forum.
dinofx,

I have to ask you out of curiousity. Have you ever been in a supercar, let alone AWD? My 996TT was without a doubt quicker, handled better, has a better ride and quality than a 2003 Murcielago. It did so stock, let alone modified. Go find time to sit in one and it's plain and clear. Julian, a very good friend of mine who has owned the absolute tops of various Ferraris/MBs/Lotuses/Lambos, let alone driven more high-end cars than I has driven mine. It was "considerably faster than his 1999 Diablo VTT" according to him.

Oh, just in case you feel that I have never even owned this vehicle, here are some facts. I purchased this vehicle from Lamborghini of Beverly Hills on Wilshire Blvd through my contacts with the Keuylian family (Vic owns Lambo BH, Platinum Motors in Orange County, Keuylian Motors -Bugatis/Ferraris/Lambo GTs/Jaguar XJ220,everything along with the divested BH Infiniti in late 2003). I was fortunate and well-connected with them to garner this vehicle in Dec 2002 with only 1800 miles on the clock whereas 3 dealerships wanted it including BH Porsche across the street . The vehicle was a pristine 2002 Blk/Blk 996TT 6 sp that was traded in with 1850 miles by Nicolas Cage (famous actor) as a trade-in along with a Brilliant Silver 2003 SL55 (he paid $260K for) for a new 2003 Black Murcielago. I have copies of his registration and DMV shows a direct transfer to me.

I love talking shop and cars. dinofx, it's your wake-up call......the only "B.S." is your true lack of knowledge, experience and naivety on "performance" and modern-day sportscars. What other inane, clueless or maybe jealous? remarks do you kids want to throw at me?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey Kenny Crudup:

Since we're meeting tomorrow for lunch (my treat as I mentioned) for you to take my FX45 on Mulholland drive, want me to bring along the SL55 AMG? I welcome you to drive it too and you tell me what your experience is. I know that you can be objective.

Maybe we can go visit a few friends sometime or stop by BH Lambo. I can let you experience a 996TT 6sp (even modified) first hand to let you objectively tell us how quick these cars can be as well as the relaxed 0-60MPH launch. I feel like defending my integrity from some of the incredibly naive (foot-in-the-mouth someday-maybe?) posters that seem to know very little of true performance, but yet, carelessly make foolish remarks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey All:

After another minor mod on my Kompressor (SC overdrive pulley), I'm planning on getting my SL55 AMG dynoed. I'll do my best to post dyno runs on a Mustang-type dyno (no DynoJet optimistic runs). If I'm still interested in my FX45 and the people on this forum by late 2005, I'll offer to let those that appreciate and respect Porsches a ride AND drive of my MY2006 997TT, 6 sp., hopefully in Polar Silver/Metropol Blue int or Cobalt Blue/Metropol Blue or Blk. Maybe, some true enthusiasts can meet me at Willow Big Track (open track event) for some fun since I haven't been up there in such a long time. I love to share experiences...........

·
Registered
549 Posts
particlefx said:
RU_MATRX said:
What other inane, clueless or maybe jealous? remarks do you kids want to throw at me?
Can you loan me some money? ::?
Sure, I can write-up a hard-money loan for you. 10% up front due at loan period expiration @ 15% monthly APR. Of course, you need collateral (good real estate is best) that I need to appraise, be interested in possibly owning, and review before I'll ask my Escrow company to draw-up documents for us. Autos are depreciating assets as most material possessions are but I may consider them! :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
I was going to call BS too, because a quick Google of "porsche 996 turbo 0-60" came up with numbers of 4.0-4.2. Then I came across this one at 3.6: http://www.stevecarter.com/911turbo.htm. Yeah, it's probably possible, but as you get closer to 0.0, those tenths of a second become much harder to cut off. Pretty soon we'll be in negative numbers. :D
Thanks FromHereToInfiniti:

Goes to show you how a little research can sometimes save a big-boot-in-da-kisser :lol:

The toughest thing even for AWD supercars is getting under the 3.0 sec mark 0-60MPH, because of the tremendous amount of HP and TQ required to achieve that also requires great driving ability in the midst of severely traction-limited launches. It's not too hard to get modified AWD vehicles down to near 3.0 secs flat, you'll see tons of the 996TTs running 3.1-3.3 secs with over 625HP+, 600+ ft-lbs of TQ., but a particular 840HP 996TT with coilovers, 24-26psi in the tires even on BFG drag radials would have a tough time passing that 3.0 mark (meaning they are no quicker 0-60MPH without a dragstrip setup/tuning focus-compromise). Now where these vehicles shine are the 80MPH-top speed of 200MPH+ where you see the spectacular tuning shine. Aerodynamics such as the SL55 AMG's excellent CD of 0.29 come into play vs. 0.31 for the 996TT. There are many enthusiasts on 6speedonline (Porsche) that actually run all of their vehicles weekly in FL. from 60-160MPH. That's where all of their investments show considerable quickness. Now, the 850HP (SAE) Chrysler ME412 V12 TT AMG engine and 1001 HP (DIN) Bugatti Veyron AWD will be the closest ultra super vehicles that will see 2.8-2.9 secs STOCK 0-60MPH and high 10s at probably 132MPH+ in the quarter. My 1998 R1s back in '99 were magazine tested at 10.22s @ 132MPH with 0-60MPH of 2.4-2.6 secs stock. High 9s /10 flat a bolt-on Micron CF pip, proper jetting and BM filter with some suspension setup for launches. Bikes are hitting mid-high 9s stock now, even track-oriented light open-class sportbikes. Truly amazing!

·
Registered
549 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Not so fast on the BS call. I did some checking around and stock 996 Turbo is rated at 3.8, so modded a bit, 3.5 is achievable. Stage 4 turbo upgrade will get you there in 3.3 sec :shock:
Cool MustGoFastR:

Like I said, 3.5 secs for +105HP/+95 ft-lbs of TQ of my 996TT with better response and turbo boost (1.1 BAR vs. stock 0.7 BAR) is conservative (I had Bailey Billet Diverter Valves that maintain consistent boost at all speeds as well vs. stock). I tested my vehicle next to another friends stock 996TT, both 6 speeds. It was an easy and uneventful 3.5 secs run. I haven't calculated this lately but every 0.1 secs 0-60MPH is worth about one full-car length when you are speaking in the sub 4 sec range. 3.9-4.0 secs stock is easily achievable by anyone who can feel a 6sp and launch well. The 996TT is easier to launch than pretty much any other vehicle out there so it's very consistent with no DRAMA (Mine had a B&M Shifter too). I don't get pinned to the seat because, as I stated, the suspension and chassis move together on launch, but don't let that fool you on how quick and stellar this vehicle really is. The structural integrity and tuning is that good stock. The handling and braking is just as and sometimes more impressive than ANY acceleration run. Of course, I would have tightened up the front end for a more neutral handling (coil-overs) if I had kept it and not traded-it in for the SL55 AMG. If you guys/gals ever have a chance to drive a Porsche Turbo, take the opportunity and run! It's completely worlds apart from the garden variety 996 Carrera rwd 3.4L. 996TTs have highly sophisticated sports AWD, PSM, 3.6L GT-1 ALMS engine, big reds and suspension. Again, I'd be happy to let anyone who shares my enthusiasm of sportscars with appreciation and respect (some skill) share the driving experience of my next Turbo or my current SL55 AMG.

BTW, Stage IV Turbo tuning from someone like Evosport, GIAC, 9ff (new), etc. are generally in the mid to high 500rwhp, meaning mid to high 600HP+ crank, if I recall correctly. Tuners are beyond Stag IV setups with Stage IV GT and V and even further with no packaged names. 3.3 secs is very easy on that setup. With better traction and ideal track conditions, weather, temp 3.1 secs is realistic. Can you imagine what kind of times all of those 2003+ Vipers modified with twin-turbos at 900-1000+ HP at the REAR wheels could run if they had traction or even better AWD? We are expecting some dragstrip times in the near future from some owners including stock SL65 AMG numbers. Poor conditions (earlier rain)for the STOCK SL65 AMG- 604HP/738ft-lbs TQ restricted due to transmission (already show an almost identical 12.6-12.7 secs @ 123-126MPH time slips on stock tires on both the West & East coast just during the past 2 weeks. They expect 12.3-4 with BFGs and better conditions stock! See "Treynor" (great guy and true dragstrip enthusiast) on the SL55/SL65 AMG forum @ MBworld.org. He as a low 12 sec 2003 SL600 V12TT Renntech as well as a newly acquired stock Silver Arrow Edition SL65 which will go the route of Renntech for 650HP/840 ft-lbs TQ (max de-limiting as the SL65's 6.5L V12 TT produces nearly 1000 ft-lbs of TQ max just STOCK de-limited) :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.