Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
befpre i go out and invest in a tom tom clip on gps i gotta ask one more time if any one knows of a simple way to change my GPS from USA format to European format, without costing me 1,800 euros , which is what i've been quoted ( thats a lot of dollars). i thought it was a change of DVD or CD but i've been told its a re-wire / re programme.
thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don´t know, if this helps, but in Germany they sell a little box that should make it possible to add a separate Navigation System onto the original display. But I believe that won´t be much cheaper than the 1800€ you got offered, unless you install it by yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.de/AMPIRE-Navigationsin ... dZViewItem

What I would like to know, if it is possible to hook up this box to the 2006 colour Display? Does anybody know, if there is a way to add a DVD Player to the 2006 display.

Regards

Gavin

·
Registered
153 Posts
+1

I'd sure like to know if either of these ebay "add-on" products do work. I'll be shipping my 45 over to Germany in December. Sure would suck to buy a tom-tom and mess up the beautiful lines....

·
Registered
187 Posts
If we were to place the DVD player off from a European spec Nissan Murano, would this be a solution to our problem. Or is there something in the headunit that is making this such a mess.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's a good though...and a good test. Since the problem, more than likely, arises from the fact that Europe is region 2 and North America is region 1, I can see why a North American DVD drive will not play European DVDs even if the actual content and packaging is the same.

I know this is how it works for movies, not sure if it's the same issue for data DVDs.

I've looked at the Wikipedia for some info and it looks like there are two different Region Control methods (RPC-1 & RPC-2).

The easiest test, if possible would be to convert the Region 2 DVD into Region 1 so that it can be read as if it's a North American DVD. If that does not work, it could be as simple as buying a Nissan/Infiniti DVD player that was designed for that particular region. If the Murano uses the same DVD player as the FX then it should be a fairly easy swap.

It appears that Japan is the same region code as Europe, so probably getting someone from Japan to order a Japanese spec DVD player for Infiniti may solve the problem....

Ok, I'll shut up now...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Region encoding is only for DVD movies and not for data.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
From Wikipedia:
DVD drives for computers usually come with one of two kinds of Regional Playback Control (RPC), either RPC-1 or RPC-2; This is used to enforce the publisher's restrictions on what regions of the world the DVD can be played. See Regional lockout.

Also, video games are data and they can be region encoded.

I wouldn't discount a possibility of the fix being as easy as swapping the DVD drive

·
Registered
197 Posts
Going to make this very simple and clear. Bottom line up front, if you want nav in your car and you live in Europe, either buy a tom tom or whatever, or you go the VERY expensive way, that has already been explained. Most of us with nav systems in Europe, have tried EVERYTHING we could think of, and that's the conclusion. Why Infiniti made a nav system that only works in the states is beyond me.

There are some VERY good nav systems out there for install or clip, Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood all have great in dash Nav systems. There are many discussions on this topic, do a quick search and you should be able to come up with something suitable for your needs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What I meant was switching the navigation DVD reader with the reader from a Euro-spec Murano. I had contacted some of the companies that do have the conversion kit for Infiniti (by installing a Pioneer or Alpine navigation system) but from what I understand they switch the DVD data reader and solder the buttons to the connections so that the whole systems works out. Nobody is changing the headunit, GPS antenna or the cabling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don´t know, if I misunderstand the problems, but if you guys got a colour display (05 with tech or 06) why don´t you just buy nav2go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

With this little box it should be possible to add a separate nav to the existing display.
Or am I wrong?

Gavin (future FX owner, hopefully sooooon)

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anybody done this?? I am currently in Europe and am still looking into trying to get the Navi to work, been at it for two years, well one really. I don't understand how GPS can track you in the US but not here in Europe. Also from what I have heard, SAAB is going to the same type of Navigation in the near future, it works in the US but not in Europe.

Anyone have information/specs on Japanese DVD drive for comparison to a US version?

Jason

·
Registered
187 Posts
(Everything below refers to the navigation system)

I actually did purchase that DVD software for Europe. The DVD reader did read the disc (well, I don't know for sure but did not give any errors, such as region problems)
However, in order to change the software on the navigation system so that it would be compatible with Europe, I tried loading the software update CD that came with the DVD map. The system said "no compatible updates found" and therefore could not load the European software. When just the European map DVD is loaded, you cannot change the country from USA/Canada to any European country.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got my FX 45 in the beginning of January and since then I worked to get the navigation run. I use a 7.0 Nissan 2006/2007 Europe DVD. Map now is shown and I'm able to store locations, which I have scrolled to before in the map. These stored locations can be used as destinations, and the system then does a proper navigation. I have problems with rerouting and I can't put in any adress, phonenumber and so on. This shows me, that malfunction is not a hardware problem but an issue of the database.

What did I do to come so far:

1.) delete all stored locations and reset all navigation settings to default;
2.) run the self diagnosis tool and delete the error history and the unit connection log.
3.) Finally adujstment of the current location. At that point I got the German map on the screen and was able to store locations.

I'm convinced, if Zenrin is willing to help us, they could easily customize the nav software.

Regards from the German part of the Baltic Sea,

Tom

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tom,

ur saying you didnt add any additional software or change any hardware? You got your car off the boat and ran the sell test? How did you get it to find the map of germany? I'm shipping my 45 over in a couple months and would atleast like to see the map show up....map of germany that is....

·
Registered
22 Posts
no I just put in the Nissan Europe DVD an scrolled the cursor to find Germany and my current location. The last days I did a trip to Sweden and stored all locations that I needed before I started. Navigation worked fine. On the pic you see my home location in Rostock, Northern Germany.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
So can I just roll in to a Euro-nissan place and buy the DVD and burn/reformat onto a region 1/US disc and load it? I will do that as soon as I get there...otherwise, its an external "add-on" that I can switch from car to car.....Our BMW has an aftermarket Eclipse hard disc navigation and I wont be able to use it either...

tks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Guys, I tried the same way for 6 weeks now.
I´m driving on the German map but without any GPS Signal. (So the problem is after a while I´m driving near the road)
When I check the GPS signal it shows the correct position for the longitude and the latitude. But when I try to adjust my position in the "secretmode" the latitude has a worth around the LA Area.
So there is obviously no "connection" between the GPS reciever and the actual place or the software can´t read exactly the Euro MAP.
When I try to initialize the position in the secret mode it will set me in the "Gibraltar" Area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
do you have the rigt software? V 6.X for MY 2003-2005, V. 7.X for MY 2006-2007? On my screen, the GPS signal doesn't shine green as descibed in the manual, but it looks yellow. If your GPS check shows the right longitude and latitude you have a connection and if you have the map on the screen you should be able to syncronize map and signal to the right current position.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts