Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been a long time lurker and through all the info. you guys (& gals) have provided, I am close to purchasing an '05 FX 35. My question is, is the sport package worth it, because I really want the tech package and cant get both. Also, is the verdict on the Hankooks that they are good, or has anyone had any problems? Thanks in advance, and I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
what do you want in the car (thats the big question). whats in the sport pkg? i ask becuase you REALLY WANT TO GET TECH :lol: the bottom line is that if you get sport and no tech, you cant add on tech later.....BUT...if you get TECH, you can emulate sport at a later date by getting new wheels and rims, and replacing the springs (and even shocks)., etc. etc..

it costs money, but its possible to a great degree and you can do it piece-meal.

tech is a must have in my book. keyless entry, and backup camera are VERY handy. ICC and NAV are cool, and if you are like me, youll find yourself using them a lot more than you initially think.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Excellent post bradical. Agree on all points. I was in a similar situation in that I could either get a 35 with tech or a 45 with no tech. Got the 35 with tech because I wanted the backup camera and NAV.

bradical said:
what do you want in the car (thats the big question). whats in the sport pkg? i ask becuase you REALLY WANT TO GET TECH :lol: the bottom line is that if you get sport and no tech, you cant add on tech later.....BUT...if you get TECH, you can emulate sport at a later date by getting new wheels and rims, and replacing the springs (and even shocks)., etc. etc..

it costs money, but its possible to a great degree and you can do it piece-meal.

tech is a must have in my book. keyless entry, and backup camera are VERY handy. ICC and NAV are cool, and if you are like me, youll find yourself using them a lot more than you initially think.

good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with both of you, the tech package is in my opinion the better buy, but i can help but notice how much better the fx looks with the 8 spoke rims. i know i can add them on later, but i probably wont. but you are right, the tech has features i can actually "use", as opposed the asthetics of the sport package (excluding the suspension). Thanks.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
also consider how much more it will cost to get sport. i think its less than 2K MSRP. financed over 5 years, this costs about 38 bucks extra each month with 2.9% financing.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
FX35Fan said:
I agree with both of you, the tech package is in my opinion the better buy, but i can help but notice how much better the fx looks with the 8 spoke rims. i know i can add them on later, but i probably wont. but you are right, the tech has features i can actually "use", as opposed the asthetics of the sport package (excluding the suspension). Thanks.
I consider the Nav (w/ rear back-up camera) a "must-have" option and have really grown fond of the intelligent keyless entry. The tire pressure monitoring system is a great safety feature and will be required on all cars by '07. In all honesty the ICC is a nice feature but I wouldn't consider it a must have. To me the 18" wheels and the 20" wheels "look" very similar as far as the spokes go (i.e. apart from size); since you seem to be considering the Sport Package predominately for looks, I would recommend the Tech Package. Good luck 8)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have sport but no tech. My thoughts, given my perspective...

Tire Pressure Monitor is standard on all 05 FXs, tech or not.

The FX looks like it was made for the 20" wheels. The 18s just don't look right - the huge tire sidewall (remember, these tires are 30" tall) makes it look more truck/suv-like and less like a sportscar.

However, as others have said, you can roll your own sports package pretty cheap - check the for sale forum for OEM 20s in the $1000 range. And there is much debate as to wether the "sports suspension" is real or myth - Infiniti only lists one set of part numbers for all FX35 suspensions... And if you want sport+, Eibach springs can be had.

To me, the tech package is kind of a rip. $4000? Most other manufacturers sell nav packages more in the $2000 range. Yes, that $4000 package includes some other perks... But from what I hear the ICC isn't that great - lots of false positives (truck in the lane next to you will cause you to slow, etc). And while the intelligent key sounds cool, how big a hassle is it really to hit and unlock button and put a key in a slot to start the car?

That said, the nav and rearview would be nice to have. If only you could get the nav as a standalone $2000 option, rather than in a $4000 package!

Chose wisely on the tech package, though. As others have said, if you don't get it, you can't easily or cheaply add it later. That's the big difference between it and the sports package. If you're even thinking about tech, just get it. If you're on the fence with sport, you can skip it now and buy the parts piecemeal later.

Matthew

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Check out Grubbs, they have the lowest price and ususally have what everyone is looking for.

I saved a lot of $$ using them.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
ShadyJC said:
As I've said on several occasions, I love the FX I have but one of my regrets is that I should have gotten TECH. ](*,)
Garmin iQue3600.
An amazing gadget for a fraction of the cost. (GPS, Palm Pilot, MP3 Player, Tape Recorder) Certainly worth a look.
I've got the Fort Worth Best Western plugged into mine and ready to take me there at the push of a button for the meet in September.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
These are all excellent posts, and great advice. Relative to other packages, I find the 4k tech package a bargain. My girlfriend is interested in a 06 ML350, and some of MB’s packages defy the imagination. In order to get the full leather seating surfaces you need to spend $6150 on a trim package. Obviously the trim package includes other items, but they force you to get it for leather seating surfaces. The 4k tech package is a relative bargain IMO.

Do you need the Tech package? I don’t think it is necessary to enjoy the FX. If I had to choose between Sport vs. Tech. I would choose Tech. The simple reason is that I enjoy the Tech package benefits every day. I love the Nav, back up camera, ICC, and keyless go. The sport package is nice, I love the wheels, but I don’t drive full tilt everyday, so I am not utilizing the sport package as much as the tech.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
BigMatt is incorrect about the Intel key. Just leave it in your pocket and you won't have to take it out to start the ignition. It also won't let you accidently lock the keys inside in case they're forgotten in the cupholder or gym bag. I thought it would be a silly novelty, but I have grown to love the convenience of it. I don't use the Intel Cruise Control, but like the fact that its laser system also assists with emergency braking (by prepping the brakes with extra power if it detects an obstacle coming too close to the vehicle -- FYI, it won't actually brake for you). Also the tech pkg has a nice color screen that can be configured to work with a tv tuner or dvd player should you desire, unlike the ugly standard orange-on-black screen.

If you skip on the sport pkg you may miss having the clear tail lights, darkened grill, and textured aluminum interior trim (which seems to be more scratch-resistant). Sure these things can be added afterwards, in addition to new rims/tires/suspension, but at a higher cost in the long term.

My advice is to get BOTH the tech and sport pkgs and eat cereal three times a day and cancel cable tv to afford it. :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
FX35Fan, borrow a little more money and get it all. You're going to live with the car for a while. Regrets dull the experience. Make sure you're paying no more than invoice, if not then shop around. 8)

·
Registered
883 Posts
If money's an issue, get the Sport and a portable GPS (you can always take it with you). 18" wheels look kinda dumb in comparison. The FX is so so large in proportions that the 20's fit perfectly. Suspension is not too stiff, just perfect.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
gto-dave said:
18" wheels look kinda dumb in comparison.
...primarily because of the 7-spoke design. However if you want 18's, take a look at the stock "M" wheels. They are an elegant looking 8-spoke design just like our 20's, and are available as CHROMIES too. 8) ...all ya gotta do is check with the parts dept. and make sure the bolt pattern is a match.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nissan/Infiniti are 114.3x5. The only concern is how much weight the wheels can safely support.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My suggestion....go for Tech...
I got turing and Tech pkg...but no sports pkg.
if you really want to get the sport pkg...for the 20" rims? then ask the dealer for fair trade when it's still new...i've seen many FXers who got 20" rims without sport pkg....cause they are driving black roof.... and the difference... for sprots pkg is only some out looks.
you will probably can find someone who's willing to sell their OEM 20" rims cheap.!
When i desperate to get the 20" OEM rims and tires...the dealer were trying to sell it for $3,500 with installation.
so i gave up...then now i got it for $1,700 total(rims & tires) ...from ndogg ct...(thx again~!)

hmmm....so again ...my suggestion...get the TECH Pkg. you won't regret it.
as someone mentioned you could buy some aftermarket things to make similar to the Tech Pkg for cheap price...but REMEMBER that you will lose the Warranty!!!

On other hand, you can get the Sports pkg things....like an aftermarket price for 2nd hand...yet still this will not avoid your warranty.
IMO

Jung Woo

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just bargain with the car dealer , can probably get them to throw in a sport package for half price or less. Look at it this way - if you finance its only going to be a few more bucks a month to have both. Shop around some - car dealers can throw in options easy , just tell one dealer the other will throw it in for 200 bucks more... :p Lie , but be realistic with your lie , dont go overboard cause then they will know you are lying - make yourself believe you can really buy the car with the sport pkg added for 200 bucks more , makes it easier to walk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate everyones response, but my intention wasnt to create a war between sport & tech fxers!! :lol: My concern is that we really want the willow interior, which the dealer has w/ sapphire, tech w/ no sport. The only sport models are graphite interior, which we dont want. I think we are going to take this model, as they are offering $500 below invoice w/ no haggling!! :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.