Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had adventerous weekend- installed popcharger, Ztube, and rear spoiler on wifes car- my first car mods- wheeee!!

Also thought it would look SLICK to remove access to drivers side keyhold in the door handle. Got the chrome escuthion (sp?) thingy & proper torx-30 tool. Removed lock assembly with no problem. While installing torx bolt back at the end, I SNAPPED OFF THE [email protected]^#$! HEAD of the bolt. Then, just to make things worse, while I was CAREFULLY trying to pull the bolt head out of the access hole on the side of the door, of course, it fell down into the door. I can hear that little sucker at the bottem.

So... Dispite a number of hours of trying to grab the bolt head with a magnet (I can grab it but not slide it up to hole), I turn here for advice:

1) Am I gonna end up taking the whole &[email protected]* door off so I can turn it upside down and shake the bolt head out of the access hole? Any thoughts about getting it out?

2) Now I have a decapitated torx bolt installed, keeping the door lock/handle assembly in there. ANyone have experiance removing decapitated bolts? I have a drill bit that supposedly will get it out, but because the bolt is behind the little access hole (about an inch into the door), I get the feeling that removal is a one shot deal- should I take that sucker into a body shop and them them wail on it?

Thanks in advance for advice...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took panel off door & reached in & got bolt head. Looks like its possible to remove lock assembly from inside- may try to remove & take to metal shop for broken bolt removal this weekend...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lock assemply can *not* be removed without taking out torx bold. But I was able to get that lil' sucker out without destroying the lock, decapitated or not...
BEWARE the torque recommendations on them!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.