Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the rise of high fuel cost, I was wondering what fuel grade/octane everyone is using. I had my new FX for 3 months now and always fill it with Chevron premium(91 octane) here in California. But the premium gas here in Westwood/Santa Monica is now $2.69/gallon. I am thinking of switching to regular grade with octane of 87. How would this fuel grade affect my car in a long term? I plan to keep my FX for at least 7 years. Will 87 octane fuel affect my FX performance? I read somewhere on the web today saying that lower grade fuel causes the car to lose some horse power and may cause the engine to knock. Thanks :?:

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Premium is recommended by Infiniti and not required.

You should not hear any knocks or pinging because the computer will detect it and alter the engine timing to eliminate it.

I noticed a slight loss in MPG and performance when I switched to 89. However, there are enough other variables in the equation that I can not say for certain that the lower octane was the primary cause. I'm sticking with 91 anyway.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Because my MPG's are so bad (14/15 w/80% local) I've tried 4-5 tanks each on 87, 89 and 92/93 oct. in our area. My records indicate < 1 MPG variation, slight increase in performance at 93 and MPT was < 10% :shock: "STOCK" gave me better mpg under the same driving conditions/style. * I would venture to say that > 30% of 35 owners secrectly use 87 :)

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I'll use whatever gas costs me < $2.50 per gallon... for the past few months I've been able to fill up consistantly with 91 ("premium" here in LA) but I can tell that it's going to be a steady diet of 89 in the very near future.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
ShadyJC said:
I'll use whatever gas costs me < $2.50 per gallon... for the past few months I've been able to fill up consistantly with 91 ("premium" here in LA) but I can tell that it's going to be a steady diet of 89 in the very near future.
I'm with Shady on this one......when I first got the FX 2 months ago I was putting 91 in her. Now I've dropped down to 89 octane. If prices continue to rise my octane will continue to drop. :x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.