1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
In san francisco premium gas is hitting 2.40 already

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've already decided that this will be my last guzzler. Next year will have a few Hybrids to choose from. By the time my lease is up, there will be a Hybrid waiting for me. The Highlander is going to have a Hybrid engine next year as well as a few Luxus models. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years every manufacturer has something to offer.

Even Costco gas is over $2/gallon.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
It's already there, if you look hard enough. Last night at the last gas station at LAX before the rental car returns (surprise!) Full Serve Premium was the bend-me-over-and-do-me-hard price of $2.999/gal. What the ****'s going on? When I first got my FX in November, Costco 91 was $1.619 (in Lancaster- the price varies by market). It's now $2.099- I mean, didn't we win the Iraq war?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
You know this does suck, but enjoy your ride.

If I wanted a hybrid(in which I do not, and will never) I would have purchased one.

Remember why you bought the FX, and enjoy it. Unfortunately, the gas price is out of our control.

Deep breaths gentlemen, Deep breaths. :D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
contaygious said:
u guys see that lexus r330 hybrid? its on autospies.com

hybrid suvs are COMING!
Thats a good thing. I am having a hard time looking at the varients on the market today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
$3!!!! ouch! Sometimes its good to be a farmboy. In Indianapolis we are paying $1.80 for Gas America 94 octane and I'm dreading when it hits $2.

I have to agree however that, fuel economy was not why I bought the FX, performance was, and even if it only got 5 miles per gallon I would still love it.

Nothing relaxes me better than when I walk out of work, turn the key, and hear the beautiful exhaust note. By the first corner I have forgotten my worries and I'm just Enjoying the drive.

Gas will always be cheap compared to a feeling like that. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gas in the USA is already cheaper than in most parts of the world. On top of that, if you compare your monthly payment (or "monthly depreciation" if you paid cash :) ), property tax, insurance, etc., to your fuel costs, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
dinofx35 said:
if you compare your monthly payment, property tax, insurance, etc., to your fuel costs, it's not a big deal.
I wish! My gas costs are ~$400/mo.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Umm...

Gas prices in the US are heavily subsidised by the government.

Guess who pays the government?

In the end we end up paying for it one way or another.
Not exactly true. In Europe, gas prices are far higher than in America because taxes on gas are much higher. In the US, taxes account for about 30-35% of the total price of gas. In England a gallon of gas cost $4.71 (in September 2000) with $3.40 going to taxes.

Maybe it depends on your definition of "subsidised".

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
heheh

GEAUX said:
If I wanted a hybrid(in which I do not, and will never) I would have purchased one.
Never Say Never!

Hybrid sports cars and sport suv's are right around the corner. Electric motors = INSTANT TORQUE. You will see future sports cars equipped with "in-wheel" electric motors, not just for economy, but for instantaneous torque-on-demand at each wheel. Hybrid technology can improve performance.

Here are some revealing specs from the new Toyota Prius.

Electric Motor
Motor type Permanent magnet AC synchronous motor
Power output 67 hp @ 1,200-1,540 rpm (50 kW @ 1,200-1,540 rpm)
Torque 295 lb.-ft. @ 0-1,200 rpm (400 N-m @ 0-1,200 rpm)
Voltage 500V maximum

295 lb-ft at 0 RPMS. Doesnt mean the Prius is "fast" - but the implications for electric/gasoline sport-applications are evident.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: heheh

Beryllium45 said:
Doesnt mean the Prius is "fast"
It's not "FX fast", but I have a cow-orker with a Prius, and I was quite surprised at how capable that car was.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Re: heheh

Beryllium45 said:
GEAUX said:
Never Say Never!

Hybrid sports cars and sport suv's are right around the corner. Electric motors = INSTANT TORQUE. You will see future sports cars equipped with "in-wheel" electric motors, not just for economy, but for instantaneous torque-on-demand at each wheel. Hybrid technology can improve performance.

Here are some revealing specs from the new Toyota Prius.

Electric Motor
Motor type Permanent magnet AC synchronous motor
Power output 67 hp @ 1,200-1,540 rpm (50 kW @ 1,200-1,540 rpm)
Torque 295 lb.-ft. @ 0-1,200 rpm (400 N-m @ 0-1,200 rpm)
Voltage 500V maximum

295 lb-ft at 0 RPMS. Doesnt mean the Prius is "fast" - but the implications for electric/gasoline sport-applications are evident.

I think I have the biggest problem with the esthetics of the cars. Just my opinion, but I think the Prius is one of the three ugliest cars on the road. Aztec and Element being number one and two. (non hybrid of course-that really helps my argument right).

In all seriousness, it might be a day that I have no choice, but for now, I will stick to my stable. I can go get in my FX, my Tahoe, or my Z06.

V8 BABY!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts