Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2005 FX35 for about 6 weeks. All I can say is wow. It rides like a sports sedan and looks like nothing else. I have enjoyed reading the posts on this board, truly a great resource.

For all you folks who, like me, didn't ante up the $4200 for the tech package, I wanted to share with you a little secret. The aftermarket GPS units made by Garmin are better than the built in units.

I have an iQue3600 which sits unobtrusively on my dash and it is a full function palm pilot and GPS nav system with voice prompts. The cost of this unit is about $500 with a car kit and SD card. It works perfectly and is a good palm pilot as well.

For $350 you can get the iQue3200 which doesn't have the MP3 player and has a smaller screen than the iQue3600 but is a fully functional auto GPS system.

If you don't like palm pilots, they also make the iQueM5 (pocket PC) .

If you just want a GPS, try the soon to be released Streetpilot C320 or C330. These new ones are small, lightweight, easy to use, and very inexpensive. Check out http://www.garmin.com

The best thing about these is that they can be used in any car, you can take it on vaction with you, when you need it most, and updating the map software is a breeze. Moreover, you can sit and plan your whole days travels in your house and not in your car, although that's not such a bad thing with an FX.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Welcome to FX world. Can you share details about your FX35 and maybe some pictures? We like pictures.

Two weeks ago I paid $129 for a Garmin GPS Laptop system for my son to use on a 6 week road trip. It has a powerful program and he and his band are finding it extremely useful. Garmin makes a good product. However, I like mine in the dash and it works just fine. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Ya, In-dash is the way to go :) but like Fxin we couldn't ante up the cash for the $7k tech package (2003).

I had a Garmin eTrex handheld unit for a while which worked "ok" for the car, but bought it mainly for my motorcycle trips. I recently "upgraded" to the Garmin GPS 10. Which is just a bluetooth gps receiver. Comes with both PocketPC and Laptop Nav software.

I have a IPAQ 5555 and have used it quite a few times already with it. The voice prompting is great!!. I bought an Akron auto-mount for mine which is powered and has it's own loud speaker. Works great.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Fxin said:
I have an iQue3600 which sits unobtrusively on my dash and it is a full function palm pilot and GPS nav system with voice prompts. The cost of this unit is about $500 with a car kit and SD card. It works perfectly and is a good palm pilot as well.
I have the IQ3600 also and the car navigation kit. It's great. Works perfectly.
I set mine on the cupholder area for the most part.
I have built spreadsheets on it for work for estimating on the fly, my shopping list is on it. Many things. It's a multi functional and extremely handy little gadget.
It will be guiding to Dallas for the national meet in September :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"I have the IQ3600 also and the car navigation kit. It's great. Works perfectly.
I set mine on the cupholder area for the most part. "

You have no trouble with reception with the iQue on the cupholder area? I used the semi permenant mount on the dash. Just a little round clip when not in use and the iQue is positioned for easy viewing without taking your eyes from the road. The beanbag mount doen't fit well on the dash because of the center speaker.

I've used palms for 8 years and find them indespensible. When you had a high quality GPS system built into one, it is truly an amazing product. I don't know how I lived without one.

The extra power outlets in the FX really are handy if you want to power up the gadgets. Loving the FX. So glad I didn't listen to the wife and get the Lexsissy 330 or the X3.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Fxin said:
"
You have no trouble with reception with the iQue on the cupholder area? I used the semi permenant mount on the dash. Just a little round clip when not in use and the iQue is positioned for easy viewing without taking your eyes from the road. The beanbag mount doen't fit well on the dash because of the center speaker.

I've used palms for 8 years and find them indespensible. When you had a high quality GPS system built into one, it is truly an amazing product. I don't know how I lived without one.

The extra power outlets in the FX really are handy if you want to power up the gadgets. Loving the FX. So glad I didn't listen to the wife and get the Lexsissy 330 or the X3.
I find that with the recent aquisition of the Valentine One, they both can't go there. I have no problems with reception.

A man's got to have his priorities.

I've never used a Palm Pilot in my life before this thing. I had to rationalize
that aspect into my decision to spring for that kind of money. I don't hardly go anywhere at all where I'd need satellite tracking. I try to utlilize the Palm features as much as possible for work, but truth be told, it doesn't get much use. Handy when I do my grocery shopping though :D

I hadn't bought myself a gadget since 1999 (digital camera) and threw caution to the wind.
As I said before, it will guide me to Dallas, Texas for our national meet in September, possibly one of the more important tasks it will ever be asked to do.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I just ordered a Garmin Street Pilot C330. I was initially going to go with the Street Pilot 2620, but I fiqured the C330 would be more user friendly. It has a touch screen format, automatic route calculation, voice prompt, etc. and will be easy to swap between our vehicles.
Next month, the Wife and I will be traveling up into the Northeast and into Canada for a few weeks...hope to get some good use out of the C330.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I failed to mention earlier that the iQ3600 in addition to being a GPS and palm pilot is also a voice recorder and a MP3 player. Quite a multi-faceted little gadget. I just loaded the whole Southern half of the country into mine and have already set the route to the Best western for our national meet. The iQ3600 is also touch screen, but not as easily done by hand as the one above.
It's the neatest little gadget I've bought in years.

I'm going to try and record the sound of my exhaust with it, hot sync it to the computer and see how the .wav file sounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The C330 looks pretty cool. Let us know how it works. Garmin just signed Yao Ming to promote its products so you will be seeing a lot of this little unit.

If you have an iQue, try the adheasive base clip that come with the 2600s. Makes it really easy to mount the iQue exactly where you want it. Of course you have to stick the plastic thingy to your dash, but it is pretty small and is black. Mine is mounted just to the right of my steering wheel and the radar detector is just to the right of the dash center speaker.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
In my preparation for the long ride to Dallas for the meet, I decided to try and mount the my iQue3600 in a better location than was afforded by what came with the unit.
Last night, here's what evolved.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Navigation

This is kind of OT, but here it goes. I'm currently in Omaha, Nebraska and I took my parent's SL 500 since they needed to use the FX, I wasn't too mad when I heard the news :) Anyways, it's a 2003 which uses "region" CD's. What a POS! As soon as I got out of Illinois and halfway across Iowa the maps where gone. I knew this that's is why I had called Mercedes to ask for the region CD for this part of the country. It turns out you can only buy the whole pack with all the regions for $280. I wasn't going to spend all that money for just one CD that I needed. And even so, the MB Navigation system sucks! Probably the worst one I've ever seen. Just a random comment...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.