Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many miles people with an FX50S have before they changed their front and rear brake pads and rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Personally I think the brake fade is horrible, I forget the exact mileage but I've put about 6-7k on and have already gotten them replaced, pads and rotors

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just broke 12500 miles and am still on the original set. Clearly I don't brake as hard as some ;)

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 32000 mixed city/highway miles on my 2009 FX50S, and I don't have any complaints, but I know they have to be replaced sometime in the near future.

On my 2006 FX45, I got 37K on my rears and 43K on my front brakes before replacing them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just finished doing front and rear brakes on my FX50 at 53K miles. The front was completely worn, the rear had a bit left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 fx50s i was pissed when they told me i needed new brakes front and back . That was at 16000 miles. I just hit 19000 miles today

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Wow, I just did brakes at about 120K kilometers and my rotors were still fine. I changed all four corners, but I probably could have gone another 10K without doing the fronts...the backs were shot though. The brakes may have been done by the first owner, but I don't have that particular service order even though I thought I had all service reports from the purchase of the vehicle. I thought for sure the purchaser of the vehicle told me she didn't do anything except oil changes in the 2-1/2 years she owned it. Infiniti does not have a record of the brakes being serviced either, because they actually asked me about it. Even if the brakes were done right before I bought the vehicle I still put on 65000 km without needing brakes...that's what, about 40,000 miles?

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my 2009, all four corners were done at about 35,000 miles. I knew I had to do it once before my lease ended because they weren't going to take me the remaining 14 months on my lease, so I just did it. They were wearing out. My cruise control wouldn't engage and the reason was the brakes were going.

Brake wear and cruise control are connected that way.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Booboobaba said:
My cruise control wouldn't engage and the reason was the brakes were going. Brake wear and cruise control are connected that way.
Huh? How is cruise control dependant upon brake wear? I'm not saying it isn't, but I've never heard about it and can't imagine how that would work.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
psychopike said:
Booboobaba said:
My cruise control wouldn't engage and the reason was the brakes were going. Brake wear and cruise control are connected that way.
Huh? How is cruise control dependant upon brake wear? I'm not saying it isn't, but I've never heard about it and can't imagine how that would work.
YES! The brake sensors know when the brakes are wearing and it will prevent the intelligent cruise control from engaging. That is what the dealer said. After the brakes were done, the cruise control worked just fine. The dealer didn't charge me for anything else and didn't tell me anything else was done, and an independent mechanic said it was plausible. ? ? ? The brakes are an integral part of the intelligent cruise control--it will slow you down and/or bring you to a stop as traffic requires.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Booboobaba said:
psychopike said:
Booboobaba said:
YES! The brake sensors know when the brakes are wearing and it will prevent the intelligent cruise control from engaging. That is what the dealer said. After the brakes were done, the cruise control worked just fine. The dealer didn't charge me for anything else and didn't tell me anything else was done, and an independent mechanic said it was plausible. ? ? ? The brakes are an integral part of the intelligent cruise control--it will slow you down and/or bring you to a stop as traffic requires.
I wonder if this is unique to the Gen 2...I frequently use ICC on the highway and brake wear didn't seem to have an effect. Blinding sun low to the horizon yes, but not brake wear.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The brakes only prevented ICC engagement when they were at the end of their life.

My 2006 FX45 never had that happen when the brake service life was about to end. In two years, I will tell you if it happens to my 2013 when the brakes are gong. :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
It sounds like Consumer Reports rating of the FX35 brakes for all years as being very poor is quite accurate. It also sounds like Infiniti hasn't done a whole lot to make them any better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts