Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I got in the car yesterday and this is what I saw.

My dealer wasn't too surprised, in fact, they've replaced quite a few of these parts recently in 2009 FXs.
Infiniti has been made aware of this problem and they are rectifying this as we speak but in my case, I've no choice to live with it...
Glue that was supposed to hold the wooden trim in place has been poorly chosen, it can't take the blistering UAE heat.
I am supposed to get this fixed under the warranty but I have to wait between 1 to 2 months for the part to arrive directly from Japan.

This sucks, very disappointing.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is that some type of wood under the shine layer?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrMoody said:
Is that some type of wood under the shine layer?
not sure as it is covered in layer of glue but it appears to be more like some kind of plastic composite rathen than wood if you ask me.
Either way, it's a sad sight for 7 months old car that costs as much as a small studio.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Thats not Infiniti's fault. You have some kind of aftermarket stick on wood kit there it appears. Most of those kits will not stick right if they are not prepped correctly. Especially in extreme heat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
johnmax said:
Thats not Infiniti's fault. You have some kind of aftermarket stick on wood kit there it appears. Most of those kits will not stick right if they are not prepped correctly. Especially in extreme heat.
the part is genuine. Infiniti Japan is well aware of this problem and have fixed it with an updated part which is resistant to high temperatures. I just got a call from Infiniti 10 minutes ago, they are replacing it for me today.
I'm hoping it's going to look like the rest of the trimming...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Titanium said:
johnmax said:
the part is genuine. Infiniti Japan is well aware of this problem and have fixed it with an updated part which is resistant to high temperatures. I just got a call from Infiniti 10 minutes ago, they are replacing it for me today.
I'm hoping it's going to look like the rest of the trimming...

I live in a hot climate here in south fla not as hot as yours. So far to date Idon't have any problems with the wood trim. As to whether it is plastic or wood it's real maple with a laquer finissh on it. Tha should be the worse thing to happen to our FX's hopefully.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think nobody on this forum lives in a hotter climate than I do, and therefore I am glad to say that my cars wood trim isnt falling apart.....KNOCK ON WOOD :D

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Man... that's TERRIBLE! So that wood... is it real wood? It looks kinda like fake wood that they used...

johnmax said:
Thats not Infiniti's fault. You have some kind of aftermarket stick on wood kit there it appears.
And John... in the 50S they have wood trim on the center console and doors with the black lacquer on the CD area...

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
It kinda looked like a stick on kit to me. Especially since it appears to be the oem wood below it and its nice and flush.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Titanium said:
hi guys,

I got in the car yesterday and this is what I saw.

My dealer wasn't too surprised, in fact, they've replaced quite a few of these parts recently in 2009 FXs.
Infiniti has been made aware of this problem and they are rectifying this as we speak but in my case, I've no choice to live with it...
Glue that was supposed to hold the wooden trim in place has been poorly chosen, it can't take the blistering UAE heat.
I am supposed to get this fixed under the warranty but I have to wait between 1 to 2 months for the part to arrive directly from Japan.

This sucks, very disappointing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Titanium, you can get your transmission reflashed (gears shift much smoother) in Dubai. I got mine done, after discussing the problem and showing the "Engineer" the Infiniti USA bulletin) at the Infiniti service center which is close to DNATA in Deira. It would be better if you would print out service bulletin and take it with you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Today, my wife noticed the same exact problem on my 2009 FX 35. Does the entire piece need to be replaced or can it be repaired by applying some type of adhesive?

Also, I read on somewhere else that infinti replaced the entire door panel! That didnt make sense to me. I would think just the wood trim would need to be replaced.

I havent contacted my dealer yet, but will do tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
rrcpa said:
Today, my wife noticed the same exact problem on my 2009 FX 35.
Where do you live? So far I only think owners in the Middle East (REALLY hot temps!) have experienced this problem so far (or at least posted about it on the forums)...

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
rrcpa said:
Today, my wife noticed the same exact problem on my 2009 FX 35. Does the entire piece need to be replaced or can it be repaired by applying some type of adhesive?
I don't know, but it shouldn't be your concern anyway. If the vehicle is under warranty, take it back to the dealer and demand that they replace the defective part. I would not allow them to just glue something together.

·
Registered
162 Posts
well all 4 of the trim fell apart on mine also (after 18 months of ownership). From what the service center told me they wont just use glue to stick the new part on the door, instead they will use some thicker stuff that comes along with the door (?). didnt really get what he was trying to say, but i am guessing the problem will be rectified.

am i disappointed? nope, not really, after all such problems occur with a brand new model, and i would much rather have the wood peel off than the car overturn at speed (1st gen Audi TT, anybody?)

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
As long as they can fix it and it STAYS fixed... that's the biggest thing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nashville has been over 90 degrees for a month, and all my trim popped off in my 2009 FX35 last week. Shop bound this week.

·
Registered
291 Posts
why the eff are there two layers of wood? kinda redundant and stupid. if i had one i'd just take that shiny fake wood and roll with the bottom wood/fake wood. clean up the trim with some goo gone, slap on some 303 areospace and call it a day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts