Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have the next maintenance coming up soon. I recently just learned about infiniti updated brake pads on FX50S. When I go to the dealer, can I ask them to change my brake pad to High-friction brake pads? Will it cost me?

Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi,
Is this a Servicew bulletin? I dont see it listed ?

I have owned many infiniti's.Any time they ( CHANGED ) pad types due to known problem it was covered. I'll bet this is.

BTW, have you had any brake issues on your 50S ? I have not. Not many cliscks yet though 10,000 KM

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Here's something I found on maxima forums:

New England Infiniti Retailers:

This email is to inform you about a recent change to the brakes on the FX50 with SPORT PACKAGE. Effective September 22, 2008 (VIN JNRBS18W49201634 and beyond), all FX50s with Sport Package have been equipped with HIGH FRICTION BRAKE PADS.

These brake pads further emphasize the extrodinary performance charachter of the FX50 Sport with a more agressive brake response and greater fade resistance during repeated high speed braking.

However, as with many high-performance parts, these brake pads will generate a greater amount of brake dust and more noticeable brake noise under certain conditions. Furthermore, these pads are likely to result in an increase of pad and rotor wear with replacement intervals of less than 20,000 miles for some customers.

This is not a safety upgrade. The brake pads currently installed on FX50s without the High Friction Brake Pads meet all US Federal safety requirements with less noise, wear and brake dust compared to the High Friction Pads.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks Aryaboston,

I really like that right now brake dust is a non issue. Hmm, will have tothink this one over I guess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
FX4U2C said:
Thanks Aryaboston,

I really like that right now brake dust is a non issue. Hmm, will have tothink this one over I guess.
Yes and when you are done, can you please post a sound clip of your exhaust :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, have you had any brake issues on your 50S ? I have not. Not many cliscks yet though 10,000 KM
I have not had any brake issue either.

I am still thinking too. I don't mind brake dust and faster wear, but I am a bit concerned about "more noticeable brake noise". However, having better braking is better...

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
The reason that Infiniti came up with this TSB for better performing brakes with "greater fade resistance during repeated high speed braking" is due to all of the test drive articles in the auto magazines like Car and Driver and MotorTrend. If you read any of the first-drive articles about the FX50s, the #1 complaint was the brake fade issue after repeated high speed braking. They said that after the second or third 60-0 stop, the brakes were nearly non-existent. Obviously, Infiniti was more than a little embarassed about the poor performing brakes on their flagship crossover, so they came up with new brake pads that eliminate this problem. Unfortunately, the downside to these "high friction" pads is that they wear out faster and create more dust. As the saying goes, you've got to pay to play. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks Gixxersteve,
I do recall reading that now.

I called my local dealer in Canada....they know nothing of this........normal, we are always behind on the updates.

·
Registered
317 Posts
FX4U2C said:
I called my local dealer in Canada....they know nothing of this........normal, we are always behind on the updates.

I wonder how long it will be before we see this in the south. My dealer still thinks the FX 45 still doesn't consume oil...lol

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Since this thread got bumped, here's a little info I found. Supposedly, Project-Mu (a known brake company) has a pad offering for FX50s called B-Force.. You guys might want to check it out..

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
the G37 sedan 2009-up and 2008-G37 coupes are the same brakes and the pads will work obviously. ProjectMu pads are a decent priced and no fading w/ them

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
da mayor said:
the G37 sedan 2009-up and 2008-G37 coupes are the same brakes and the pads will work obviously. ProjectMu pads are a decent priced and no fading w/ them
Kenny, are they the same rotors? I've been looking for a slotted & drilled set to match my rears..

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
da mayor said:
Sorry if I'm being dumb but can you clarify... did you just say the brakes in the G sedan and coupe were the same? Or the G sedan and coupe have the same brakes as the 2nd gen FX?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
DatMan said:
da mayor said:
Sorry if I'm being dumb but can you clarify... did you just say the brakes in the G sedan and coupe were the same? Or the G sedan and coupe have the same brakes as the 2nd gen FX?
I believe turbo mentioned this in the retrofit thread as well but I think it's the same brakes with g37S coupe (there's also the non-s version) and g37 sedan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts