Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago the Service Engine Soon light came on and the car felt like I hit a wall under hard acceleration. I checked the code and P0014 came up. This indicated a possible problem with the camshaft position sensor on the driver's side. I pulled the sensors and swapped them with the ones on the passenger side and cleared the codes. I have driven about 500 km since and the light just came back with the P0014 code again. This rules out the actual sensors. I am leaning towards the VVT solenoid next, but thought I would check to see if anyone has experienced this issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finally got around to tackling this issue, and the replacement solenoids finally arrived. I decided to pull the outer cover to see if there was any sludge buildup or possibly something blocking one of the oil channels. You can see by the pics that other than a bit of oil varnish, things are pretty clean. While I had the cover off, I swapped the solenoids between the intake and exhaust ports. Once I put it back together, I still got a code, but it had switched from a P0014 (Exhaust Valve Timing Control Performance Bank 1) to P0011 (Intake Valve Timing Control Performance Bank 1). I then installed a new solenoid on intake side, cleared the codes and all seems fine now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I finally got around to tackling this issue, and the replacement solenoids finally arrived. I decided to pull the outer cover to see if there was any sludge buildup or possibly something blocking one of the oil channels. You can see by the pics that other than a bit of oil varnish, things are pretty clean. While I had the cover off, I swapped the solenoids between the intake and exhaust ports. Once I put it back together, I still got a code, but it had switched from a P0014 (Exhaust Valve Timing Control Performance Bank 1) to P0011 (Intake Valve Timing Control Performance Bank 1). I then installed a new solenoid on intake side, cleared the codes and all seems fine now. View attachment 19889 View attachment 19890
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!! Seriously, you have no idea how helpful this was to me, because I'm in the exact same position right now and I'm completely out of patience. I went to remove the solenoid from the outside on the driver's side and the freaking shaft is actually broken off, so I get to take the cover off like you did. I'm just hoping there won't be any metal flakes or anything stupid.

Do you have any tips or tricks on how to remove that cover more painlessly? And what kind of gasket did you use when putting it back on?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removing the cover is actually pretty straight forward. You will have to remove a few brackets and a few of the bolts are hard to see so you will have to remove those by feel. As for the stuck solenoid, there are a few suggestions on youtube, just google vvt solenoid broken in block.

I used Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker to seal it up. I have no leaks at all, and the FX50 have been running great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Removing the cover is actually pretty straight forward. You will have to remove a few brackets and a few of the bolts are hard to see so you will have to remove those by feel. As for the stuck solenoid, there are a few suggestions on youtube, just google vvt solenoid broken in block.

I used Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker to seal it up. I have no leaks at all, and the FX50 have been running great.
Yeah, I got the VTC cover off and I was able to get the broken piece out pretty easily, but now I'm worried about the RTV gasket. It's such a pain in the neck and I'm worried I won't make the proper seal and there will be a leak. I just wish they made normal rubber gaskets for these things.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had no problems using the RTV. Just make sure you put the cover on straight so you don't rub any of the sealant off. Infiniti just used a sealant, but they installed the covers with the engine outside of the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had no problems using the RTV. Just make sure you put the cover on straight so you don't rub any of the sealant off. Infiniti just used a sealant, but they installed the covers with the engine outside of the car.
How did you apply your RTV? Did you put it on the cover or the block? And did you follow any specific line? I wasn't really thinking when I took mine off and I removed most of the gasket by the time I realized that I should have taken note as to how it was applied.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just run a 1/4" bead around the cover in the middle of the mounting flange. I ran some around each bolt whole as well but you really don't need to. When you reinstall it, make sure that you lower it to the level where it sits then install it straight on so you don't rub the sealant off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just run a 1/4" bead around the cover in the middle of the mounting flange. I ran some around each bolt whole as well but you really don't need to. When you reinstall it, make sure that you lower it to the level where it sits then install it straight on so you don't rub the sealant off.
Did you torque the bolts back in to any specific number?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I just went by feel till I thought they were tight enough. I did follow the tightening pattern in the service manual (page EM-214)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts