Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off - Hello. I'm a new member. This post isn't meant to start a turf war or ruffle any feathers. I'm just looking to solicit some honest feedback from current FX drivers. Here's the situation:

I currently drive a '98 Range Rover 4.6 HSE and it's got about 120,000 miles on it. It's been a great rig, but it's to the point where maintenance is becoming too much of an issue. I'm mechanically inclined and like to work on my own vehicles, but it's experiencing EAS and BeCM/ECU failures that require tools and software beyond my arsenal of tools.

I was looking forward to the release of the '05 supercharged Range Rover Sport, but I'm a little disturbed by the premium price tag of $70K, the disgusting lack of a power tilt column (the manual tilt lever is located in an awkward location under the column), and of course the total lack of information at the dealerships about expected delivery dates.

I've been eye'ing the FX since its release in '03 and have always been curious. For some reason I love the looks. However, the nearest dealer is 100 miles away and nobody in town owns one. I figured they weren't all they cracked up to be.

So last weekend I'm in Nevada on vacation and I meet a guy with a garage full of high speed toys, including a modified 500 hp Viper GTS coupe. Of course I had to go for a ride :twisted: As we were cruising through the desert he mentions that he can't wait to purchase an FX45 for his daily commuter ride. NO WAY :shock: I figure this is too weird. Then, when I arrive back home my Rover experiences yet another problem.

Consequently, I'm test driving an FX45 this Friday. I've never been in one.

Here's where I'd like some feedback. (Sorry for the long post) The FX seems to be rated excellent in terms of a "sporty" SUV, which is great because I love performance driving. (I've built some stroker small blocks for other vehicles and had occasion to race some SCCA events). But, I've grown fond of the Rover for being able to haul full size adults comfortably in the back seat, as well as for towing trailers in both comfort and style. Most of my long haul pulling is with a light aluminum trailer and two 500 lb snowmobiles, so I wouldn't consider towing the primary purchasing factor. (I do have a truck that I can use to tow heavier loads.) I'd rank comfort and performance 1st. BUT, am I going to be disappointed that the FX might limit my use once I realize its capabilities? Is it truly versatile for off-road snow situations, or just a rocket on the street? Are adults O.K. in the back seat?

On the flip side, is the high price tag of the Range Rover Sport worth the extra $? I could do a lot with the $20K differential. (I know it's also hard to analyze when the RRS's haven't been proven in the field yet either.)

I value your opinions. Everyone on the forum seems to talk about the Cheyenne (which I DID see pull a snowmobile trailer up to Mt Baker this year BTW), but so far no talk of the Range Rover Sport. I'm pulling the trigger on either the RSS or the FX soon - but which one :?: Thanks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are considering two vehicles from different worlds. If I were you I would get the FX for an extended test drive and make sure you fully understand what this outstanding vehicle has to offer.

I kept my 2000 Tahoe (outstanding SUV) when I bought my FX45 because I needed towing capacity, interior capacity and occasional ability to haul a large group of adults or kids. The FX45 is my everyday, blast to drive rocket SUV. I use it for business and have never had a complaint from adults in the back seat, however, the rear wheel wells make entry and exit a little bit of a effort.

I had it on really muddy dirt mountain roads a couple of weeks ago and the AWD performed fine, but the FX is not an off road vehicle. If that's what's most important to you, don't buy it.

Keep in mind the FX45 comes standard with sport tuned suspension, so if you want smooth and comfortable, you better have great roads like we do here in Arizona.

You'll get honest opinions from this site, but you won't find strong critics of the FX here. Also the reason you don't see many FX's (a good thing BTW) is they are unique enough that they take a special kind of driver to fully appreciate. If you do see an FX it's generally going to be a 35 because they are such a good value. For the ultimate ride go with the 45. Good luck. 8)

·
Registered
392 Posts
yea

What he said! ^^^^

·
Registered
934 Posts
IMO, the extra cost of the Range Rover Sport is not worth it unless you really like the badge. The design is nice though. Kind of the opposite of the FX. You can also look at it as a $10k discount from the Range Rover.

Tiff Needell from the UK's Fifth Gear recently did a really cool review. You can download it here with BitTorrent: http://www.finalgear.com/downloads/fifthgear/7/5/

Basically it did very well on the road, but poorly on even wet grass. About the same as what you could expect from the FX. The Range Rover does have a Hill Decent feature, though I doubt most people would ever need that.

Also, Hertz and Enterprise rent the FX35, so you might want to pick one up for a weekend to see what you think. I checked Hertz and it looks like they don't have any near where you are, but Enterprise might have some. I know Hertz has them at ORD, LAX, IAD, BOS, PHX, LAS airports.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tummy said:
The Range Rover does have a Hill Decent feature, though I doubt most people would ever need that.
That feature actually would have come in very handy a couple weeks ago when I was bringing the FX off the mountain on very muddy roads. Tapping the breaks often to keep it from getting too much momentum on a muddy hill just isn't the same as low 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silver Bullet - Thanks for the quick and candid response. I guess I'm not trying to make the FX into what it's not. I don't really take the Rover "off-road" either. My rigs are generally pampered, garaged kept, street machines but I do need the sporadic hill climb up a snowy logging road or mountain pass to about 3,000 ft elevation until we can unload the sleds. Can the FX do it? It appears to have the ground clearance. Other than that, consider it spirited Hwy/city driving. BTW, your car is perfect. I'll take a twin, or perhaps DG with painted wheels to keep it more low profile. The sun doesn't shine as much here and the darker colors excel :lol: [/b] Also, just FYI. I would grab the FX over the normally aspirated RRS in a heartbeat. They are HEAVY and a dog. But, I pulled a heavy trailer the other day with a (puke) Ford supercharged Harley edition truck and I have to admit it did VERY WELL. I was impressed. That's the only thing that has me waiting around so long for the supercharged 4.2L in the RRS.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not a whole lot of snow here in Phoenix. But our mountain roads for skiing are at 7 to 9 thousand feet. I can tell you, the FX45 didn't skip a beat at the higher altitudes.

You will find on this forum that many of the FX owners in snow country keep a set of winter tires and wheels for snow season. The performance tires on the 20" wheels probably won't cut it in the snow without chains. However, the FX is equipped with a snow mode switch that cuts the sensitivity of the ECU at least in half to keep you from spinning out the tires from the over application of power. :shock: And, the VDC is very effective. Don't lower it if you're going to be taking it to the ski slopes (you'll probably need the clearance). 8)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Once you drive the FX, you'll have to have it. At least, that was my conclusion. After about 10 mins behind the wheel, I felt like Will Smith in Independence Day, "I gotta get me one of these"! And now I have an ivory one...

Enjoy,

Mongo

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hate trucks , coming from a line of sports cars. When i got into the FX45 I felt like a sports car in the way it handled/performed. The 45 is faster then the 35 but feels alot faster because it has that V8 torque , just like someone stated above "once you drive it you have to get one" , simply put. I love my 45 just as much as one of the sports cars I had and even more. Once you test drive one you'll see what I mean. The range rover is sluggish compared to the 45

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I ripped my best friend's range rover sport in half the other day 8)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It's so-so in snow- very good if you get 18 inch snow tires (Blizzaks seem to go over well). AND a rocket on the street.
I'm 6'3", 240- I happened to be in the back seat while my wife drove home from a ballgame (i.e.; it was HOT and I had a LOT of beer & hotdogs) and a friend with a broken ankle & crutches was in the front. I and friend's wife were fine in the back. Wouldn't have wanted anyone else back there tho.

Boy- that RR sport looks ok, but that supercharged RR looks awesome.
Mmmm... FX45 & $20k spending money...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just saw this post since it has had some new action. If the original poster is still out there, contact me I live near Bellingham and would be more than happy to meet with you.

Also, I took my FX45 up to Mt Baker in Feb. and I couldn't get the dang thing to break loose in the snow. The only problem I had was coming down the mtn. It had been snowing hard all day and when I came to the elevation where the transition from snow to sleet/rain was the road went from compact snow to deep slush and the wide tires (295's) tended to want to hydroplane at times. Other than that I was quite impressed. I have used Subaru's for years as my ski/snow vehicle and still recommend them for that use, but I look forward to this ski season and driving my FX in the slippery stuff.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
welcome to the FXforums. hopefully all this information is helpful for your next purchase...whichever it may be RR or FX. As for me and my 45 here in Chicago, I try to keep it as a utility rocket. It does well in rain/snow as long as you have the right tires to go w/ the season. I've never taken the fx off road nor am i planning on doing so in the future. The sport suspension is quite stiff IMO, i usually had a few complaints of bumpiness before i switched to Eibach springs and wider tires. Small tweeks such as CAIs, suspension (springs,STB,tire selection), exhaust, transmission mods and re-flash(TS ECU) can really wake the 45 up. IMO the RR is a very exclusive truck and one that i don't really see myself driving. Its comparing apples to oranges so its up to the buyer's preference on body style, room, comfort, performance, etc. I'm happy you're looking into the FX, it's an addicting machine.....imo the "RUSH" is also found in the fx.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
wasabiz45 said:
welcome to the FXforums. hopefully all this information is helpful for your next purchase...whichever it may be RR or FX. As for me and my 45 here in Chicago, I try to keep it as a utility rocket. It does well in rain/snow as long as you have the right tires to go w/ the season. I've never taken the fx off road nor am i planning on doing so in the future. The sport suspension is quite stiff IMO, i usually had a few complaints of bumpiness before i switched to Eibach springs and wider tires. Small tweeks such as CAIs, suspension (springs,STB,tire selection), exhaust, transmission mods and re-flash(TS ECU) can really wake the 45 up. IMO the RR is a very exclusive truck and one that i don't really see myself driving. Its comparing apples to oranges so its up to the buyer's preference on body style, room, comfort, performance, etc. I'm happy you're looking into the FX, it's an addicting machine.....imo the "RUSH" is also found in the fx.
Exactly!! See my License Plate! :D

I strongly recommend FX if you gonna use it for daily driver. RR definitely has that "I AM RICH! BIATCH!~" look but still even my FX35 can smoke RR anytime. FX is quick, great handle, very Unique design and last but not least I'm VERY satisfied with Infiniti Dealer Service.(This is very important when owning a car) I had cars from Kia to BMW but Infiniti has the most impressive service.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
what are you doing comparing the RR sport to the FX???... i luv the FX... but if i had that $$$ my name would be printed on the RR list...

btw... RR (new line or not) have proven themselves in a much high legue for much longer time than infinit - fx or otherwisei...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
hm478 said:
RR (new line or not) have proven themselves in a much high legue for much longer time than infinit - fx or otherwisei...
Yes, RR has been around for a long time so their technology for off-road suspensions have been greatly researched. but only recently that rr has gone with the trend and started making sport versions for their line to keep up w/ the urban-based market. IMO, RR has gone mainstream thanks to the "bling-bling" era (rap videos and such). Younger crowds w/ more money buying them because they see them on music videos. If you ask me, there are a lot of people buying rovers for the wrong reasons and still not know what the vehicles are really made for. but hey, that's their cup of tea. I like my fx....black 8)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
RR are sweet don't get me wrong but if your looking to get speed and everyday driving go with the FX..if you want the i'm rich and i know it look with the pimp status go with the RR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.