Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of high mileage are you FX45 owners getting, and what have you had done (timing belts, oil pumps etc..) I own an FX35 176k on it and am going to upgrade on the near future. Originally I bought just for the AWD for winter, but I like the car and want a Lower mileage and different color.

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
I have no experience with the 45 but have done a fair bit of reading on these. The only issue to keep an eye on with higher mileage 45's versus 35's is oil consumption. The VK45 engine has been found to start burning a little oil as it gets higher in mileage. In some cases a lot of oil. Otherwise the usual FX35 age issues apply. Dashboard, window motors, wheel bearings, and door lock actuators are relatively minor issues that come with age. Oh, and the CD player tends to go out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I sold my '06 FX45 with ~180K miles on it. The current owner has put about 10K on it so far. Engine-wise, I had to replace the valve covers, the mechanical engine fan (and clutch) and the front prop-shaft. I also had to fix the rear differential bushing. I bought it with ~60K on it. It used some oil the whole time I had it, and prior to me putting a catch can on it, it would smoke at cold startups. The catch can solved that. A good percentage of the oil that was used ended up in the catch can, so I had to drain it every time I had to add oil. Mine was an '06. I understand that the earlier engines had a worse oil baffle in the valve cover that allowed more oil into the intake. I also had to replace the cam position sensors, which are a common failure point on both 35 and 45 engines.

I replaced the radiator, thermostat, water pump, and idler pulleys at about 170K. The top tensioner pulley was making noise and I figured I would do the rest proactively. I doesn't have a timing belt

At around 140K, I replaced the shocks and strut tower bearings, they were starting to clunk when I was driving around off pavement (not offroading, just like in grass parking lots, etc)

When I sold it, I would have very little concern about driving it cross-country. I wanted to sell it before something expensive broke, like the A/C, Transmission, or the engine - in no particular order. I have seen a number of them in the 200-220K range, I haven't seen many beyond that. My driver's seat also had just developed a crack in the side and the (warranty replacement) dashboard was starting to crack around the vents. Otherwise, it was in excellent condition inside and out. I didn't really want to watch it degrade. So a friend bought it, and now I get to watch it degrade anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts