Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Sorry to bombard the board with yet another exhaust question but I am new to the Org. and I believe I have a somewhat specific question. I am going to follow the setup of Brnjug, 3" pipe w/o resonator, but I am not sure if I want to go with Flowmaster. I want a high pitched "screaming" sound from my exhaust at the higher rpms similar to a mod-ed 350z or M3 with a Supersprint exhaust system or Billy B. I want it to be VERY LOUD. What will give me something closest to that sound and is our V8 capable of making that sound? I was looking at Magnaflow and dynomax as well, and have listened to their websites but it is hard to tell from their clips... I would love for everyone with aftermarket exhaust to throw in their 2 cents as everyone seems very knowledgeable about their FX's and I want the Cayenne's to hear me coming and flying by them!!! Thanks. Chase

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'd say that you're on the right track looking at Magnaflow and Dynomax UltraFlow. Both of those are higher pitched than the FlowMaster. Listen to clips of similar cars at each manufacturer website to get a feel for the distinctive sound of the different brands. That will give you an idea of how their products will sound on an FX compared to each other.

Matthew

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
cl2447 said:
OK. Sorry to bombard the board with yet another exhaust question but I am new to the Org. and I believe I have a somewhat specific question. I am going to follow the setup of Brnjug, 3" pipe w/o resonator, but I am not sure if I want to go with Flowmaster. I want a high pitched "screaming" sound from my exhaust at the higher rpms similar to a mod-ed 350z or M3 with a Supersprint exhaust system or Billy B. I want it to be VERY LOUD. What will give me something closest to that sound and is our V8 capable of making that sound? I was looking at Magnaflow and dynomax as well, and have listened to their websites but it is hard to tell from their clips... I would love for everyone with aftermarket exhaust to throw in their 2 cents as everyone seems very knowledgeable about their FX's and I want the Cayenne's to hear me coming and flying by them!!! Thanks. Chase
Better than sound clips > why not come "meet" him in person, and others who have custom exhausts? > http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 5&start=50

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
cl2447 said:
My .02.. If you wanted a high scream like a 350Z or M3, you should have gone with the FX35 as the engine is a 6 like the two mentioned above. The FX45 will never sound like that. At least not what I think you are looking for. Apples and Oranges.

If you want a B&B, Corsa, GHL, Borla corvette kind of sound, then go to their websites or look on ebay for someone selling a used system and do your homework on the way brnjug or the others have configured their systems, then go from there.

If you want loud, Flowmaster is probably your best bet. Raunchy, balls to the wall, wide open? Flowmaster is your beast of choice.

My problem is that I want the best of both worlds. I want is quite when I want it and loud when I want it.

Go to http://www.corsaperf.com then sounds and check out the LT1 Camaro clips. The muffler looks similar to stock and that is the sound I want, but no one can match it.
Tell me what you think of that one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
cl2447 said:
Run a dual 2.25" exhaust with a x-pipe and NO mufflers. Sounds like a NASCAR engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why dont you just do a electric cutout and install a cap on the end of it with the electric motor. Then you install the switch in the car so when you want it loud you just open the cutout via cabin switch. You get the best of both worlds. The cut out bypasses the muffler so you got straight flow from the cats back. I have a similar setup on my 96 TA except I have flp longtube headers w/no cats and borla exhaust w/ the electric motored cutout. It is still a little louder than stock when I close it due to no cats and the car being highly modded. I always close it when I am coming home cause my neighbors complained about the car being being to loud. I have no more complaints since i throw this unit in. My next door neighbor says he does not here me coming in anymore. lMy unit is sold by (FLP) Finish line performance in naperville, Il. There is also a guy by the name of Keith Mccord who makes them. You can do a search at http://WWW.MFBA.Org and search Keith Mccord Cutout. Its a car club I am in for F-body Ta/camaros. I have not done anything to my exhaust on my FX45 except thrown chrome tips on it but my guess is its a v-8 motor so that high pitched sound will most likely be unacheivable Its gonna most likely have that deep bassed good old V-8 sound. Good luck

·
Registered
206 Posts
What part of chicago are you from?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry I did not post any sooner. I just been so busy lately I never get a chance to get on the computer. I grew up on the northwest side of chicago (rogers park). Then in 92 moved out to Niles Il. In October of 2004 We bought a house out in Northbrook Il. So cl2247 did you get anything done or look at any options?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to go with the stock pipes, 2.5", took off the resonator, and put a flowmaster 80 series on, with fabricated pipes and extended the tips about 2-3 inches...sounds great..very loud, and actually higher pitched than I expected.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cool I am glad you found the setup you like. So is it a bassy sound or does it scream like the 350z sound you wanted?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its bassy at idle and upto about 2500 rpm, then from 3k-65--k its screams, sounds a little lower than a 350 but has an air intake, almost turbo sound to it, really nice, then when i down shift manulaly, it back fires a little and sounds so bada$$ !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.