Infiniti FX Forum banner

Fx45 engine swap?

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  djlan99 
#1 ·
I just recently bought an 03 fx45 awd with skipped timing for really cheap. I'm noticing there doesn't seem to be squat for mods for the vk45de but plenty of mods for 3.5 and 5.6. Since I'm planning on pulling the motor anyway have there's been any successful motor swaps? I don't really want to get away from a v8 so I'm wondering about the 5.0 or 5.6? I've read about a couple failed attempts on the 5.6........

#2 ·
Came across this forum while trying to search for info on VK50VE motors... From what I've researched I'd think you'd be able to fit a VK56 (aren't they roughly the same sized block?) I have a Titan, and to me it seems like there's a bigger aftermarket for the VK45...

If you come across a decent priced VK56VD I'd jump on it, I have both a 2011 Titan and a 2017 Armada, and that VK56VD motor is a beast! I've done some stuff to my Titan and it's way short on power compared to the Armada (Patrol!)

#3 ·
I have the same car and the 5.6 I was looking at has a larger stroke and lower compression. Awd I think is the issue. The two wheel drive fx would be an easier conversion. Also the 4.5 has shorter stroke and higher compression. I would drop the cradle and do a cam swap valve spring swap along with flowing the heads. On the Caddy Northstar ( pre 2000) you can gain 100 hp just by doing head work. Dual exhaust might help. Lots of mention for ecm re flash but not sure how much fuel trim range the FX has. I would stay with original engine. In all my years of experience. Anything else would be cool but a headache at the least.

#4 ·
This is an old thread, but the best way to free up some power on the FX45 (other than breather and exhaust mods) is to do an electric fan conversion. Already done by quite a few people here and they "feel" it frees roughly 20 HP... No one that I can recall actually did a dyno before and after though, but anyone that's done it claims the biggest "bolt-on style" power gain...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.