Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Technosquare Inc which has done work on the 35 ECU says that there is not enough interest to start on the FX45.To max exhaust,CAI,rev limiter etc we will need someone to do work on the ecu...Is there interest? and how much interest..Certainly a blower will need a piggy back and hopefully they will do that when and if they produce one for us

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm interested as well- it seems to me the ECU is the biggest "detune" on the FX45 (why we get 315/329 vs. 340/350!)... JET Chips says they can put on performance software for $500... I don't know much about their quality? Anybody know of any other firms who can do the ECU?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is absolutely a major source of improvement...do you have a contact...and can they be more specific

They are not leaders in this arena..just been there a long time...but a compass when you are lost in the forresr is a big help

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would be interested if the mod is proven to gain some performance..

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'd possibly be interested...it just depends upon the cost vs. benifit. I wouldn't mind putting down a few hundred bucks to get an additional 20-30 ponys...at least something you could notice when you put your foot in it.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hypertech's answer is not yet..which may be a no since no time line given.All of the 3.5 folks have shown no interest..so please pursue Jet chip and let's see

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
fxfan said:
I'm interested as well- it seems to me the ECU is the biggest "detune" on the FX45 (why we get 315/329 vs. 340/350!)... JET Chips says they can put on performance software for $500... I don't know much about their quality? Anybody know of any other firms who can do the ECU?
Public opinion of Jet Chips on My350Z.com is VERY low (understatement), FYI.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
JET= POOP

HYPERTECH= POOP

Nothing more than change shift points and remove limiters.

Smoke and mirrors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad to see we're back up and running! In doing some independent checking, it seems everyone "in the know" does NOT recommend JET. It appears their attempts on 350Z's have actually left cars stranded!

ANYWAY, buying some other stuff from Adrenaline Racing, I bring up the issue of wanting to let loose my FX's power to the (very knowledgeable and helpful) salesguy, Eddie. He tells me he will see what he can do...

Additionally, I stop by the dealer and start grilling them on why we FX guys aren't getting all the ponies out of this motor- cam shafts are the same (even checked the part #s vs the Q), the service guy tells me the heads are the same as the M45, and that all the decrease is in the Valve Timing Programming! Which leads me back to the ECU!

SO, I talk to Eddie a couple days ago- here's the deal- he has a relationship with Unichip- and if we can get 10-20 of us interested, they will make us "plug-n-play" chips (which I definitely prefer to programming, having to send the ECU off, etc) which can get back the lost HP and Torque from the valve timing AND add about 10% to the 340/350 the Q and M get (through fuel/air, spark advance, and increased rev limiter). Downside is that because there are so few of us, we're probably looking at $700/unit or so, but to go from 315/329 to say 370/380, I'd pay that in a second! Think we can round up 10-20 of us????

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not going into the valve timing issues,I believe the diff to be even less.Most important are the shift point,rev limit and A/F and adaptability to other mods like exhaust and CAI.$700 is high for that and who is this company ie can they do what they say.As others have said.Jet sucks,and Hypertech is good with some and nothing with other vehicles.$700 is what a top of the line co would charge and results would be there.

·
Registered
471 Posts
$700 seems like a lot for a piggyback that the end-user can't reprogram. From my limited knowledge w/ the Unichip, you have to send it back to the tuner to have it reflashed whenever you want something changed.

The Xede piggy-back I'm using for the Evo can be programed by me using a laptop. And it cost me $700 as well. Talking to the Vishnu, the Xede could interface with Nissan's ECU.

I think you could use the Apex-i SAFC II to lean out your A/F's if you wanted. But make sure to address the cat-cons first. I think cat-cons are melting their cores because they're postiioned too close to the engine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
fxfan said:
SO, I talk to Eddie a couple days ago- here's the deal- he has a relationship with Unichip- and if we can get 10-20 of us interested, they will make us "plug-n-play" chips (which I definitely prefer to programming, having to send the ECU off, etc) which can get back the lost HP and Torque from the valve timing AND add about 10% to the 340/350 the Q and M get (through fuel/air, spark advance, and increased rev limiter). Downside is that because there are so few of us, we're probably looking at $700/unit or so, but to go from 315/329 to say 370/380, I'd pay that in a second! Think we can round up 10-20 of us????
If they can really deliver 370-380hp, then count me in. I would consider that money well spent. I would still prefer something that can be reprogrammed with a laptop, but ~60hp is no joke.

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks like mhgsx has the right idea- can valve timing be addressed with the Xede unit?

Brnjugfx45, why don't you think it's valve timing issues? I really don't see the 25hp and 21ft-lbs decrease coming from just spark time and F/A ratios, but I have been wrong (Only once, of course- I thought I had made a mistake, but I hadn't! :) )

Back the the serious stuff- I know there's so much more motor there to tap- I just want to find out where it is and go get it!!! I really think we should easily be running mid 5's 0-60 without going inside the motor or forcing induction...

Brnjug45, how did the increased stall work for you, btw? Any idea what kind of 60ft launch times you're seeing now?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of course neither of us made a mistake...sounds like married folk talk 8)
Level 10 said .8-1.0 in the quarter for the converterThat's not out of the question for a higher stall.I am guessing .4-,5 quarter...real kick in the back even over stock or with my/your mods.If you do the converter,do the manual shift mod too

I doubt valve timing is within our reach.More importantly and this irritates the 35 guys.A second in the quarter at this 15 second range (I wish I still had my drag calculator) equates to 50hp(very conservative) to100 (optimistic) advantage.
you do the math,if they have 280 add 75 and!!!.There is only spit difference in these 45 motors,just bragging rights for the elite of the line(Q45/M45)
Given what I have spent,$700 is not the issue,but I want the right outcome

My plan was the CAI and off to the strip and dyno_One track here is open all year except when there is snow on the ground

·
Registered
471 Posts
fxfan said:
Looks like mhgsx has the right idea- can valve timing be addressed with the Xede unit?

Brnjugfx45, why don't you think it's valve timing issues? I really don't see the 25hp and 21ft-lbs decrease coming from just spark time and F/A ratios, but I have been wrong (Only once, of course- I thought I had made a mistake, but I hadn't! :) )
I don't think the Xede can currently control valve timing. That's something that ChipTorque (the manufactures of the Xede) would have to implement into the hardware. I'm sure it can be done, however.

Also, I'm of the opinion that there is no power difference between the Q, M, or the FX engines. Nissan has history of trying to justify price and value differences with supposed HP differences. (aka. 03 maxima and altima)

Also, to those hoping for a 50HP change with fuel/timing/valve timing changes.......................there's really no way. While OBD-II has made modifications and their gains that much smaller to implement, its primary goal for reducing emmisions has given us the consumer a nice bonus, increased efficiency.

To be 'cleaner', engines have to burn their fuel more completely. That increases the efficiency. And the benefit to us is more HP. Is it any wonder why more and more HP is being made with the newer cars?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
With that in mind, I'd love to see a 45 run over the top of a magnum hemi! - Have you run over a hemi lately?

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting challenge,but it is RWD and not much tire.Got lots of them around here and not one callenges,not one,which I find interesting.They are not on my ego list,so I do not go after them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree that I usually doubt it when I hear somebody can get more than about 20-30hp total out of exhaust, CAI, and ECU- But, I also believe that Nissan and others do more than just market their motors differently, I think they do actually change the output. Very easy to do, just one or two changed ECU paramaters and you have a detune. You just don't want somebody who paid a premium for their Maxima pulling out onto the street and getting spanked by a lighter Altima with the exact same motor! That's one of the things I found appealing about the '45 vs. an X5 4.6is, the ability to get a lot more improvement aftermarket (since performance is a virtual deadlock off the floor).

As for today's ECU's, yes, they make the motors very efficient, but to get your perfect burn efficiency, you want to try to keep a stoichiometrically-perfect 14.7:1 air to fuel ratio (where the 02 sensor reads .45V, which is why you want to see constant cross-counts on either side of that #). BUT, max power comes from a lower air to fuel ratio, lots of debate as to exactly where, and it depends on the exact application, but somewhere in the 10-12 range is what I usually hear. Now, you burn more fuel because of the richer mixture, but you do get more power than the emissions-optimal 14.7:1. This all can be additive to the other factors which give today's engines higher specific output- things like variable valve timing, optimized fuel mixture, better and better flows in and out of the cylinder, etc.

Brnjugfx45, I agree with you- I don't mind spending the $700, but it better bring me optimal performance! Two questions on your converter- do you have a part# so I get the right one please, and what is the "Manual shift mod", is it part of the valve body work you did and what is the benefit? By the way, noticed you're from Philly, we just moved to Phoenix from Philly- really enjoyed the time we spent there- make sure you tear up the Blue Route for both of us, eh??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Talked to Eddie at Adrenaline Racing again- he says if we have anybody with an FX45 in the Portland area to be a test mule, we can see if we can really get 370+ or not... anybody interested??

If they can really get that, or even add 40 instead of the claimed 60, I'll pay the $700...

Thoughts??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts