Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of purchasing a slightly used 2004 FX 45 and drive the wheels off of it. I'm looking for an everyday all weather car that can haul me and the wifes bikes, camping gear, and ski equipment for long weekends and still travel my 70 mile round trip commute without bating an eye. I know the gas milage is so so but it's better than most SUV's out there. I have lots and lots of questions so bear with me. I know these haven't been around long enough to tell but somethings you can see signs of right away.

What long term reliability issues are known with these cars. I know seats are questionable but what else. I'll be keeping this thing over 5 years with atleast 150,000 miles on it and would like to know what to prepare for. I'm not familar with Nissan products at all so I'm going in blind. Any known Engine, Transmission, or AWD system faults. What are the scheduled maintance for timing chains, plugs and other large ticket items. What's the body's durability (paint and corrosion)? I'm a mechanical egineer by trade and enjoy performing minor maintance myself. Brakes, Rotors, Transmission and differential fluid changes, plus the normal oil changes (big Amsoil Fan). Are these tough to work on to do normal maintance. Are Navigation updates available? How often?

Any other suggestions. I actually had a new Mustang Gt on order but I cancelled just didn't fit our needs plus resale stinks. I'm looking at the Cadillac SRX, VW toureg, BMW X5, and even a Land Rover LR3. By the way The FX 45 has the best residual value of all these after 3 years (even the X5), I was very suprised to see that.

The FX35 makes more sense but I'll regret not getting the FX45 down the road so I don't want the itch for a new one in a year or two.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
well, i plan on keeping mine for long term car....and not just 5 years either. once i move in the next year or two, im paying this baby off with the equity in my house and then im going to try and stretch it for 9 or 10 years. (i only want to be paying on one car, since wifey will prolly roll out a new auto every few years).

with that in mind, i think it can handle it. the engine and drive train is solid (look at the old Q45s).

you are going to eat up tires becuase of their size about every 25-30 K miles unless you get some higher wear tires.

gas milage is going to be around 13 to 15 MPG on this baby, but if you drive long to work and back each day at cruising speeds, you can pull upper teens and low 20's still.

other than that, you have a pretty good warranty to get you started, and for a long term car, the FX is going to keep you happy driving WAY longer than the alternatives.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Lots of questions,if you are a hard driver stay with the 45.Seats are problematic only in one color or if your body is wide(seat controls dig in)..Mileage is only $300 more per year than a 35 which surprised many.
30K maintenance is high but most is necessary,not all)Tires will go 30K,brake wear is normal,only hear an occassional complaint

Drop a K&N in,go to Mobile1 and 100000+ is a walk in the park,I am at 33K,replaced CD player,roof motor,is it

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
npc2396 said:
I'm thinking of purchasing a slightly used 2004 FX 45 and drive the wheels off of it. I'm looking for an everyday all weather car that can haul me and the wifes bikes, camping gear, and ski equipment for long weekends and still travel my 70 mile round trip commute without bating an eye. I know the gas milage is so so but it's better than most SUV's out there. ... I'll be keeping this thing over 5 years with at least 150,000 miles on it ...
Any children in your 5 year forecast? Have you tried loading up an FX with all the gear you describe? Is an FX enough room for camping gear, bikes, ski equipment, etc for long weekend outings? Any plans for off-roading at all? Did I ask about children?

You might consideing renting an FX for a weekend camping trip and see how it works out before your purchase. 8)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
good point about kids and off roading. this car will go offroad, but its nothing like a toureg in that arena. i love the FX, but i am also a toureg fan.

if you are more into the pure function of the car, the toureg might be a good alternative. but as far as reliability, etc, i dont have any insight into that car. i do know that previous model years had some issues with the electronics, but im not sure if that has been fixed as of now.good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Please, FX and Offroad should not be in the same sentence. Buy a old Land Cruser (FJ40/50/60) or Jeep (TJ/YJ/ZJ/XJ/WJ) if you plan on wheeling. Both the FX and Toureg should stay on the pavement.

·
Registered
509 Posts
OIIIIIIO said:
Please, FX and Offroad should not be in the same sentence. Buy a old Land Cruser (FJ40/50/60) or Jeep (TJ/YJ/ZJ/XJ/WJ) if you plan on wheeling. Both the FX and Toureg should stay on the pavement.
Dirt roads and light duty off road should be fine (just keep it slow). No serious four wheeling. The under body has no off road protection, but if you tent camp, I think you have enough room (bike rack in the hitch and a carrier on top and off you go).

I do a lot of towing, hunting, fishing and off road. I kept my Tahoe for these outtings. 8)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
There is still some offroad capabilities in the FX.

Jim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. No kids. Maybe one down the line. One cat carrier for medium dogs (it's a 23lb ragdoll cat and it's not fat, just very large) Bike and ski's go on the roof. Anyone with pictures of bike racks on the FX. Camping gear is limited to what we can carry on our backs. So that's two packs Trekking poles and boots. Plenty of room. No off roading. I built a 78 CJ-7 for rockcrawling a few years back. Locking diffs front and back, 8000lb winch, 450HP Built AMC 401, the thing would do wheelies. Fun but I got tired of breaking it. 400+HP plus Dana 30 fully locked front axle = U joint explosion. Some of our camping trails take us down gravel or dirt roads that are passable by car so off roading is not a concern. I'll probably put snow tires on it for the winter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the most recent one of him and the wife. The dumb a** decided to swallow about 7 feet of ballon ribbon and they had to cut it out of him. There goes the chrome wheels :( His stomach is swelled some from the surgery but you get the idea. OK he's fat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
npc2396 said:
What long term reliability issues are known with these cars?
Well, none of us have had one long enough to be able to tell about long-term reliability, but I'll be blunt- between the high mileage you can rack up here in the huge SoCal metropolis, my heavy foot, my driving ability, my use of manumatic (and the frequent forays into redline) and even road and traffic conditions here, I drive the SH!T out of my '45- and it has failed me only once: a blown AC-compressor clutch at 23K, covered under warranty. I'm now at 34K miles after only 16mos, and I think it'll go on for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
kcrudup said:
...between ... my heavy foot, my driving ability, my use of manumatic (and the frequent forays into redline) and even road and traffic conditions..., I drive the SH!T out of my '45

Thanks for the vote of confidence Kenny. I drive my 35 very hard too, but don't put on the miles you do. I plan on keepin' it a while, so I sure hope it lasts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In my FX35, I easily get 3 kids in the back with booster seats, fit a large plastic wagon in the back filled with the beach stuff, and put 5 bikes on the hitch rack. No issues at all. If it was a longer trip, can always put a roof carrier on the rails.

In the winter, I have a 2x5 cargo basket for the hitch, and cart around my snow thrower as needed.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thats one BIG PUSS>

I went 45. 35 was not even an option. I have a 5 year old and a cat, although not quite as fat as yours. My son complains about climbing in and out of the back seat, but once he does, he loves it, watching a movie etc.

I have been considering selling mine for a few months now but I cant make up my mind.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
he would get a corvette of course :D

btw.....that car pic is hilarious

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
npc2396 said:
Geaux, what car would you purchase if you sold the FX?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.