Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Any tests bewteen FX35 and VW Touareg V6 ????

Thanks

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Not that I know of. They are tough to compare as they serve different purposes. The FX is performance oriented X-over and the Toureg is a very off-road capable luxury SUV. What do you want to know? The FX is much faster and handles much better on the road & the T-reg is more cushy, luxurious and darn near amphibious. They both are nice, depending on what your preferences are. I also thought I'd read that the VW has had quite a few more problems than the FX. VW service can't compare either, if those are determining factors for you.

Side note: I saw an FX on the used car side of my local VW dealer (right accross form the Infiniti dealer) this week. :cry:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really liked the Touareg V6 at VW dealer, but, never drove one.
The FX35 I didn't like the looks, but drove one and liked.

Know there is the Tourage V10 Turbo diesel that would make very happy on aspects (SUV, speed, looks, luxury, etc), but it costs 60K!
So, I am reconsidering the V6.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I had the chance to extensively drive/test a fully loaded V8 Toureg (my in-law's) for an entire week.

They are on opposite ends of the spectrum and obviously built to serve completely different purposes. If it's comfort and off roading capability you're looking for, the Toureg is a decent choice. The biggest problem I had w/ the Toureg was the steering/handling. It's a 5,000lb truck but you get ZERO feedback from the steering. I would go as far as saying it reminds me of driving an old Caddy. Mushy, excessively loose steering w/ zero feedback on your limits. It certainly has a more comfortable ride compared to the FX, but it doesnt handle even half as well or confidently. If you're looking for a driver's car, the Toureg would definitely dissappoint you. I'd suggest you goto the dealership and take a test drive for yourself.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Apples and hand grenades. Touareg is a take-kids-to-soccer/drive-thru-a-swamp/get-to-know-service-manager's-middle-name type of vehicle. The FX is of a have-you-smoked-a-sports-sedan-lately variety automobile. Though it does offer suprisingly good winter traction. The turbo diesel V10 coming this fall is gonna be a pretty insane engine, but it will cost ya.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said before, the V10 is out and cost over 60K!
Based on the responses, if I had to buy Today, it would the FX35.

I have a 2002 Grand Cherokeed Limited loaded and never did any off road!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i drove a V8 toureg (i have an AWD FX35) and heres what i found to be the biggest differnece (again this is really apples to oranges)

(1) toureg interior is higher quality...it just is...sorry folks
(2) toureg V8 felt incredibly sluggish compared to the FX35 awd....no kidding...porobably becuase of the weight.

basically....

TOUREG is nice if you want

- high luxury
- off roadability
- no performance :)

FX35 is what you want if you want

- luxury with a string emphasis on sportiness
- you only drive on the paved roads
- you are all about performance

if you are the kind of person who sees an S-turn coming up in the road and wants to "smoke" it at 100 MPH (like me) then do yourself a favor and get an FX. the fun never ends....

·
Registered
176 Posts
bradical said:
(1) toureg interior is higher quality...it just is...sorry folks

- high luxury
- off roadability
- no performance :)
I'd have to disagree. The VW has no in-dash CD changer, and if you want to use the *CD*-based GPS system, you don't even have a single-disc CD player. Not to mention, it has german feel and general poor usability. Another nice feature, you can unlock the doors without the keys, but you can't start the car without them, so what's the point?

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
if you want to use the *CD*-based GPS system, you don't even have a single-disc CD player

Are you sure?

Are you saying to listen to a CD you have to take out Nav Dvd and that if you want to know where to go you have to take out your CD and put in your Nav DVD?

Confused :? :? :? :? :?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
dinofx35 said:
you can unlock the doors without the keys, but you can't start the car without them, so what's the point?
I used to rent a Ford Exploder (which is an unfair joke, that SUV was actually pretty nice) that had keyless entry via a keypad, but you still needed a key. I thought this was a nice feature, and would prevent a lot of lockouts.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
Are you saying to listen to a CD you have to take out Nav Dvd and that if you want to know where to go you have to take out your CD and put in your Nav DVD?
This is the impression I got of Mercedes' base Nav system, as well.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
when i say nicer interior, i mean the quality of the leather and the overall build quality. the FX is great IMO, but i think the toureg has a nicer overall build........now the ergonomics of the instruments and the nav is a different story. FX is superior in this respect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts