Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my first oil change with my new to me - FX 35.
Put in Mobil 1 - followed the excellent "How To" instructions
from the Forum. I put in approx. 4 Quarts of oil - but reading that dipstick is the worst I've seen - I don't want to over fill. Can anyone tell me how many quarts they put in & where they read
full on that thing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
5 quarts

fill, run engine, check for leaks, turn off, wait 15 min or so, read dipstick...oil level s/b right in the middle between L ------- H

yeah, this dipstick is the worst

Jerry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! We finally got a nice day down here
in Texas so I thought I'd listen to a ball game & change
the oil. It wasn't too bad - other than that weird dipstick.
Just a bizarre design.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is from the owner manual
CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply parking brake.
2. Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.
3. Turn off the engine. Wait more than 15 minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean. Reinsert it all the way.
5. Remove the dipstick again and check the oil level. It should be between the H and L marks. If the oil level is below the L mark, remove the oil filler cap and pour recommended oil through the opening. Do not overfill.
6. Recheck oil level with dipstick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just purchased a 2010 FX35 and want to take care of my new baby. I asked the wife to pick up mobile 1 full synthetic to take to he dealer to have them use this oil when they do the oil change. My wife purchased the "high mileage" type. My 2010 only has 31k miles on it.

1. Is it ok to use the "high mileage" mobile one on my fx with only 31000 miles on it?
2. Is the 5 qt container enough or do i need to bring another qt (I read that the car takes 5.2)
3. Is the dealer oil filter good enough or am I defeating the purpose by using good oil and not getting the better filter?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I really want to take care of my car properly.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
SamB said:
Just purchased a 2010 FX35 and want to take care of my new baby. I asked the wife to pick up mobile 1 full synthetic to take to he dealer to have them use this oil when they do the oil change. My wife purchased the "high mileage" type. My 2010 only has 31k miles on it.

1. Is it ok to use the "high mileage" mobile one on my fx with only 31000 miles on it?
2. Is the 5 qt container enough or do i need to bring another qt (I read that the car takes 5.2)
3. Is the dealer oil filter good enough or am I defeating the purpose by using good oil and not getting the better filter?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I really want to take care of my car properly.
Since this question is a few weeks old, I'm guessing you already came to a decision on the matter. Still, I'll answer the question. It's fine to use the high mileage version on your young FX. The high mileage versions just add some conditioners that are meant to help engine seals last longer and prevent minor leaks over time. It does not make an impact over the short term; its meant to help the engine last longer over the long term. Kinda like the detergents that the gasoline companies put in their gasolines. So by using the high mileage oil for one oil change, its not going to really do anything for you engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.