Passenger-side, front door lock actuator
Passenger-side, rear door lock actuator
Gas door lock actuator

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Called up Orlando Infiniti to get an idea as to how much it will cost to have it fixed...$475 per door lock. This will amount to more than $1000 including taxes. What a ripoff. The part alone costs $287.00. If I find aftermarket parts, I will likely be selling this vehicle. It will be too expensive to keep it once something needs fixing.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I wonder if you're talking about these parts?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=2

If so, that website has them for $154.21... and if you get another mechanic to do the work (instead of paying insane dealership service prices) it shouldn't cost too much... probably 1/2 of what you were quoted at the dealership.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look like the right part for the front doors. I still can't believe they cost that much. I thought they would cost much less. Oh well, I may have to bite the bullet since I still have to fix it in order to sell it. Anyway, thanks for your help, my fellow Canuck. Appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
So what ended up happening that all 3 would break down?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Try a car audio shop. You can probably fit aftermarket actuators in there, usually for $75-100 a piece installed. We do it all the time for other vehicles. I never checked to see if it is doable in the FX though. The shop will be able to tell if they can adapt it to the cable mechanism.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No clue at all. The rear passenger-side went first. I was able to take apart the door and lubricated what I thought needed lubricating. It started working again. A few weeks later, the front passenger-side went. Tried to do the same workaround, no luck. Then, the rear passenger-side went and finally, no luck. Now, the gas door luck was a PITA. It went out in the locked position and I only found out when I was trying to fill up with gas. I couldn't open the darned thing. After struggling with it, I went and looked at the rear hatch and saw that there was a cutout to access the gas door lock. So, I manually unlocked it. But, it's stays unlocked now and does not respond to the door fobs.

I did have an episode where the car wouldn't start. This happened when I was up in Mississauga during one of the coldest days of the winter last year (early 2007, not this past winter). I was able to start it up using a duplicate key (my wife's) and took it to Woodchester Infiniti. They diagnosed it as corrosion to a ground contact point after hours of troubleshooting. They cleaned it up and all was well with that issue. But, after that episode, these issues started popping up. Sigh.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gonna try and see if I can find a good car audio shop here in Orlando. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
??? You got my head spinning... Mississauga and now Orlando? Even with your problems, at least the weather's nice... :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moved to Orlando about 10 years ago from Mississauga. I visit MIssissauga frequently since most of my family is up there. Winter is nice in Orlando but summers are brutal, so I spend summers up there. I'm lucky enough to have a job that allows me to work remotely if I have to. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
What did you finally end up doing? I have the same thing happening to my driver side front and rear doors. I looked at the instructions in the service manual and it looks like you have to take both the door panel and window assembly out to replace the door lock actuator. Not a very easy install. And the car is just out of warrantly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got quoted $493 for replacement by the stealer which is for 3 hours of labor and parts. I called my local window shop and they said they'd take out and put my window back in for $75 which includes removal and install of the door panel. So that just leaves purchasing the door lock actuator and installing the replacement. Anyone have any experience doing this? Does the window and window drive assembly really need to be remove for this install?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok,
In case some of you are like me and aren't willing to get ripped off by the stealer. The whole thing takes about 1.5 hours, but since its the first time you've done this...give it another hour. The stealer was going to charge 3 hours of labor!?

Order the part from Infiniti of Scottsdale for $154 (the local stealer wanted $260 for it!) while you are at it, order extra door finisher clips. it needs about eight.

remove the three bolts holding the door finisher - one under the inside door lever and two under the silver door handle part.

work from the bottom and pull the door panel forward by hand - yes, by hand

remove all of the items attached to the door finisher which is the door handle lever, the automatic lock/windows controls and two wires. put the door finsiher away.

Remove the speaker (disconnect the speaker wire) and the large sticker - make sure you don't damage it. You'll need to put it back the same way.

Lower the window until you see the bolts through the two holes.

Remove the window bolts and then remove the window by lifting on th rear

Put the window in a safe place so you don't break it

remove all the bolts holding the window power assembly panel and gently put it on the ground - disconnect most of the cables by using a pair of pliers and pushing the clip through the hole

for the front drivers side, remove the rod attached to the lock by rotating the blue clip on the door lock assembly

remove the rubber stop on the door side and unbolt the door lock

while pulling the outside handle forward - carefully jiggle the door lock until you remove it

pull the outside handle up and pull backwards to lodge it (disconnect the intellikey wires if you have it)

unbolt the yellow bolt holding the baseplate in place

remove the three bolts holding the old door lock assembly in place (the repair manual says to replace the bolts - they have blue loctite on them...so don't strip them)

disconnect the three wires from the old door lock assembly and connect to the new

disconnect the power from the old door lock assembly and connect to the new

re-assemble in reverse order.

After you put the window in, reset the window before you put the door panel back on.

that's about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dude, thanks for the detailed instructions. I haven't done it yet. I'll call Infiniti of Scottsdale per your advice.
Did you wind up doing all 3 doors?
My gas cap actuator is on the blink too. Not really feeling good about replacing lock actuators on a 40K car. My 11-year old daily driver's actuators still work.
But, again, thanks for the instructions. I appreciate it much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've gone as far as removing the door finisher just to see how much more work is required. That part is not hard, but I did not realize that the window needs to be removed. That's gonna blow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds harder than it is. Taking the window out is not big deal. Just make sure you unbolt it and pull it out from the rear. I only replace the front drivers side for now. It was driving me nuts to the point of trading the car for something else. I purchased the service manual off of ebay which really helps with diagrams on what to do and how to do it. I also took pictures along the way just in case I forgot how to put it back together.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
alibaba0101 said:
I also took pictures along the way just in case I forgot how to put it back together.
If you have pictures, how about writing up a how to? You can start it in the how-to sub-section and then once it's finished I can move it to the how-to...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alibaba0101 said:
It sounds harder than it is. Taking the window out is not big deal. Just make sure you unbolt it and pull it out from the rear. I only replace the front drivers side for now. It was driving me nuts to the point of trading the car for something else. I purchased the service manual off of ebay which really helps with diagrams on what to do and how to do it. I also took pictures along the way just in case I forgot how to put it back together.
Thanks, alibaba0101. I guess I put it off this long since it was the passenger-side and I was able to easily work around it. The part that drives me nuts is when I need to access the rear cargo and the passenger-side doors are locked. It seems like the rear cargo is somehow connected to the front passenger-side. So, when the front passenger is locked, then the rear cargo is locked too. My gas cap actuator is also on the bIink. It's infuriating when filling up with gas since you'd have to unlock the gas cap by accessing a panel in the passenger-side of the rear cargo and blindly fishing for the actuator mechanism and pulling it to unlock. So, if the rear cargo is locked because of the passenger-side lock, ARRGGGH.

Anyway, I called Infiniti of Scottsdale and they quoted me the following:

2003 Infiniti FX35 Lock Actuators
1. Front Passenger: $154.22
2. Rear Passenger: $179.25
3. Gas Cap $59.05

Shipping is $15.00 for a grand total of $407.52 just for the parts. Man, Infiniti is making a killing off of these little things that really shouldn't break on a $40K car. It is tempting to trade-in the vehicle for something else. If only it weren't already paid off. :(

1 - 20 of 65 Posts