Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the procedure to reset the ECU? The only one that I have found so far does not seem to work.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Normally the negative terminal from the battery for 5 minutes, then it will relearn.
Curious, what are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
5 minutes won't do it. The ECM reset procedure is here:
http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

I wouldn't expect too much; I tried it once and the only difference I noticed was dramatically worse gas milage for the next 300 miles. It is a falacy that the ECM gradually de-tunes mods and you don't need to reset when adding new mods as long as you take it easy for a few days and let it adjust.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MGFR, that's the one that I tried. It is also in the FX service manual. However it seems to be a reset of ECU if the MIL light is on (ECU has some trouble code). I have tried (with no success) performing this procedure. Attached is the timing sequence from the service manual. After the 5 accelerator pedal cycles and the 7 sec pause and 10 sec FT the MIR light should start blinking. This is where I got nothing. Any thoughts. As I add mods I would like to always start from the same point, also I would like to know just how the system works.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
WeGaFX said:
MGFR, that's the one that I tried. It is also in the FX service manual. However it seems to be a reset of ECU if the MIL light is on (ECU has some trouble code). I have tried (with no success) performing this procedure. Attached is the timing sequence from the service manual. After the 5 accelerator pedal cycles and the 7 sec pause and 10 sec FT the MIR light should start blinking. This is where I got nothing. Any thoughts. As I add mods I would like to always start from the same point, also I would like to know just how the system works.
It DOES work; I've done it myself on my FX. There are a couple more steps after the ones you have listed (shown on the Technosquare page) to reset the ECM memory, but if you can't get it to blink to begin with, then your timing is off. Keep trying and review the procedures again; it took me several tries to get it right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well at least I know it does work, so far I have run out of fingers and toes trying to count and time each step. Maybe next time I will get someone to help me get the timing right.

Thanks...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
esemes said:
MustGoFastR said:
.......It is a falacy that the ECM gradually de-tunes mods and you don't need to reset when adding new mods as long as you take it easy for a few days and let it adjust.
can you elaborate on this??

i dont get it.

thanks

s
Well, it started on the Z forums when people would add an intake or exhaust, dyno the car immediately after the mod and register certain gains, then dyno the car again after a period of time; in some cases, the gains were lower (sometimes much lower) than they had been right after the mod was installed. This led to the rumor that the ECM, while attempting to maintain the engine's operation within a certain set of parameters, effectively negated bolt-on mods once it had time to adjust.

In reality, this feature of the ECM is a standard part of the OBDII programing; it IS designed to keep the car operating within a certain set of values to optimize gas milage and low emissions. While this CAN result in lower gains as described above, it is normal and does not totally negate your mods. Dynos show the largest gains for these mods immediately after installation before the ECM has time to adjust, so without knowing what was really going on, people started to freak out and the general rumor that the car's ECM would not allow you to imprve upon the performance with simple bolt-ons. So, while the ECM DOES adjust to maintain it's preferred values which may result in certain bolt-ons showing lower gains than originally perceived, it can only do so much and does not negate them. Some bolt-ons are affected more than others, depending on where they are, what they do and how ansd where the ECM takes it's readings.

The issue was compounded when some people experienced problems such as stalling or MIL after installing bolt-ons. What was really happening was that they were driving the car hard right after installation of the mod and the ECM freaked out before it had time to adjust. This is what led to the practice of resetting the ECM after installing mods; everything was set back to default values and the ECM began to learn all over again with the mods in place as if they were OEM equipement. While this does work, it works just as well to not drive the car hard for a couple of weeks after the install and it will adjust without any problems.

Some people still felt ill will toward the evil OBDII and campaigned for ways in which to wring every last ounce of potential HP out of their mods. This is where cracking the code came in and the ECM reflash was born. Technosquare is the only outfir successfully doing this. They alter the programing to make the ECM operate at set values they determine, which allows maximum power to be gained from all of our mods. The program they force the car to run on does not necessarily have the best gas milage or the lowest emissions in it's best interest, though it seems to do just fine. I have seen no complaints about unacceptable gas milage or anyone not passing smog with their ECM reflashed, so the $600 seems to be well spent. If one does choose to have the mod done, it is best to wait and do it last, after all other mods have been done, otherwise, you may need a new program after you add something else. It is also best to actually take your car to them to have it done; in this way, they can tune the ECM to your particular car for optimal results. They DO have basic programs to account for most mods, which will work if you choos the mail-in option, but not perhaps as optimally as if you were actually there, IMHO.

Hope this helps. 8)

BTW, before you ask: there is no reflash available for the VK and likely won't be by Technosquare, at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts