Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from SGP Racing here in H-town with dyno results. This was done using the same dyno as stated in the previous thread except it was in AWD mode. Note that similar issues similar to drewmebaby's were experienced today. Specifically, it was hard to hold the transmission in a fixed gear to get a smooth dyno run. The problem is that the tranny will adjust automatically to any differences in load and there's no way to curtail this from happening - basically it works too well.

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2449

Here the are:

Dynometer: DynaPack Evo 3000
Conditions: Temp - 80-82 degrees F, Barometric pressure - 29.99 Hg, Humidity 59-61%
Driver: Mark @ SGP - cool guy

Three runs were done:

Max HP = 224.9 @ 5584 RPM (in 4th gear)
Max TQ (ft/lb) = 231.4 @ 4930 RPM (in 4th gear)
Peak HP = 234.5 @ 3107 RPM (uncorrelated at 2nd gear shift point)
AFR = 12.58-13.58 WOT (still too rich)

Conclusions:

Peak HP numbers were about 12HP less than Drew's (assuming that Drews 245 HP number was peak and not 4th gear). However, Drew did his on a day where the humidity was in the mid to high 80's. Mark thinks the higher humidity sucked about 10-15 HP from Drew. Also, it's obvious that our cars are running WAY too rich with our breathing mods based on the AFR numbers. They should be running at around [email protected] for peak power. The ECU is compensating for the increased air volume created by our mods by dumping more fuel. A reflash of the ECU is definitely needed if you're modding.

There's about a 34 HP difference between Sweet FX's and my max HP numbers from before (224.9 - 191) with exactly the same mods (except for her pulley). Thinking that this may be due to 1) higher altitude (she's in New Mexico) - which will suck power and/or hotter, more humid weather conditions; 2) Pulley is sucking power; 3) Pulling the AWD fuse is not a good idea; 4) the 2WD dyno isn't accurate in combination with pulling the AWD fuse; or 5) Combination of all the above factors.

Now all we need is one of y'all to do a dyno on a stock 35 AWD. :)

Well, that's it. Comments are welcome as usual. I will post pics of the charts tomorrow after I recover from tonight's track meet. 8)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Good info. Can't you avoid the tranny shifting around on you by doing the runs in manual mode? I don't think our breathing mods are making the car run richer; if that were the case, we'd all see a decrease in milage with the mods, and it's been the other way around. The plenum and Z-tube are behind the MAF, so the ECU has no idea what they're doing for the engine. Everything I've seen on My350Z indicates that the more bolt-ons you add, the leaner it gets. Our engines are not tuned for optimum power from the factory; they run pretty rich stock. This is pretty standard with auto manufacturers. I had my tech check my A/F a while back with my mods and he mentioned that it was a bit leaner than an otherwise stock vehicle should be, so our cars are obviously tuned very rich at the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MustGoFastR said:
Good info. Can't you avoid the tranny shifting around on you by doing the runs in manual mode? I don't think our breathing mods are making the car run richer; if that were the case, we'd all see a decrease in milage with the mods, and it's been the other way around.
He was in manual mode but the tranny is still readjusting. It's connected to a separate ECU that's pretty stubborn and smart. He had to mess around in auto mode and mess with the shifting to get it to run smooth enough even to record valid numbers!

I think the mods are making it run too rich at WOT (where the dynos are recording). In a closed loop (just tooling around at 60 MPH and not WOT) the mods don't affect AFR significantly - increased air volume at 3500 rpm with our mods is not that different from stock but at WOT that's where the increased air will cause the ECU to dump more fuel and make it run rich...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hmm, possible. I look foreward to Drew's ECU flash results. This could be my next (and likely last) mod.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MustGoFastR said:
Hmm, possible. I look foreward to Drew's ECU flash results. This could be my next (and likely last) mod.
You sure? Mark told me that Greddy has a twin turbo kit for the 350Z/G35 that he can fit to the FX35 and tune. It will pull 400 rwhp safely!

Only $10K installed...:p

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
GeoFX said:
MustGoFastR said:
You sure? Mark told me that Greddy has a twin turbo kit for the 350Z/G35 that he can fit to the FX35 and tune. It will pull 400 rwhp safely!

Only $10K installed...:p
hihihi :p ,as I always said. IF YOU DO IT, DO IT RIGHT :p ... but hey, wait a minute, I don't have $10K

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Nah. That's a nice down payment on an M3 or C6.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Drew simulated 1/4 mi. = 15.10 / Geo = 15. ? (or do we wait for the REAL deal tonight?)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Also, it's obvious that our cars are running WAY too rich with our breathing mods based on the AFR numbers. They should be running at around [email protected] for peak power.
Didn't I already go over this with you guys?? If you tune your A/F to 14.5 at WOT, you better have another engine next to you after the one you just dyno'd detonates to ****.

There's about a 34 HP difference between Sweet FX's and my max HP numbers from before (224.9 - 191) with exactly the same mods (except for her pulley).
The most OBVIOUS reason, which you left out, is that her's was on a Dynojet vs yours, a Dynapack.

Using your best time at the track (15.8s in the 1/4) and plugging in your vehicle weight, the calculator estimates that you have 233.57HP to the wheels

Using your average trap speed of 86.6 mph, the calculator estimates that you have 236HP at the wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Thanks Geo and good luck tonight! I meant to do some homework on the trans and A/F questions.Will try to get that done by Monday

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
We have one ECU not 2 which controls everything in powertrain

Thank you mhgsx.that 14.5 is mid point cruise A/F that every auto maker uses,BUT not max power /WOT A/F
These 2 comments make me concerned about the knowledge in this shop.
MPH vs weight is the best road dyno around...never lies.I could not/cannot find my calculator for this(do you have the formula?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Here's the ET's, just fill in the Names. :shock: 14.90 = ___________ 14.95 = ________ 14.99 = ________ 15.10 = __________ 15.60 = ______

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
Here's the ET's, just fill in the Names. :shock: 14.90 = ___________ 14.95 = ________ 14.99 =Phamgiaj ; 15.10 = __________ 15.60 = ______
OK I just filled out your sheet, I met my goal, made 14.99 in quater mile, >>>yeeep peeeehh<<<
I will change my sig ASAP, I'm too happy guys. ....oh wait a min , I''m in the wrong forum, I should be at other Meet forum, sorry. :p

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PINITI-FX said:
Here's the ET's, just fill in the Names. :shock: 14.90 = ___________ 14.95 = ________ 14.99 = ________ 15.10 = __________ 15.60 = ______
Might need another category. 15.90 = GeoFX. Trap speed was 87.32mph. 60' time on this run was 2.412 secs. Could'a been better...

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mhgsx said:
The most OBVIOUS reason, which you left out, is that her's was on a Dynojet vs yours, a Dynapack.

Using your best time at the track (15.8s in the 1/4) and plugging in your vehicle weight, the calculator estimates that you have 233.57HP to the wheels

Using your average trap speed of 86.6 mph, the calculator estimates that you have 236HP at the wheels.
Not being familiar with the different types of dynos around, what exactly is the difference between a dynojet vs. dynopak? Is a dynojet on rollers or something? And how can that account for such a big difference in HP numbers for basically the same car? Need to know...

What's this calculator you're talking about? Gotta link?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
phamgiaj said:
PINITI-FX said:
Here's the ET's, just fill in the Names. :shock: 14.90 = ___________ 14.95 = ________ 14.99 =Phamgiaj ; 15.10 = __________ 15.60 = ______
OK I just filled out your sheet, I met my goal, made 14.99 in quater mile, >>>yeeep peeeehh<<<
I will change my sig ASAP, I'm too happy guys. ....oh wait a min , I''m in the wrong forum, I should be at other Meet forum, sorry. :p
Way to go! :D We are all very happy for you and pleased that you've met you're goal. 8) You Guys are really setting the pace for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing All of your tips too, so that the rest of us may benefit also. * 14.99 *

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
GeoFX said:
PINITI-FX said:
Might need another category. 15.90 = GeoFX. Trap speed was 87.32mph. 60' time on this run was 2.412 secs. Could'a been better...
Nothing to feel bad or down about here. You're a consistant Team player with a lot of Heart, and that's all that matters. :D Keep it up you Guys and thanks so much for continuing to share and help all of us. That's a True sign of a Winner! 8)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Back in the early '90's one of the aftermarket manu provided HP slide rule type calculators for the drags.Compression ratio on the back side.At that time the west cost engine builders were claiming very impressive #'s and the east coast cars had track times.When the cars came together everyone knew weights and checked trap speed and the truth was out.We all became believers in real world tests!

Cannot find mine-15 years old item

60 foot imes are critical to the ET!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hey guys, the HP calculator I used can be found on practically any drag racing site. The one I used was at:

http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/index ... =analyzers

Just plug and chug.

I remember those slide rules that the drag guys used to have. With the advent of the computer and the net, I think everyone threw them away!

One thing to consider when using any of these calculators is that they're geared more for 2WD cars. They don't take into account the added drag of AWD nor the added aero drag of a truck.

But all in all, they're quite comparable to a dyno reading as long as you're N/A and your dyno and race track are at the same elevation.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts