Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently sold my G35 Coupe and am considering a FX35 AWD as a replacement. I'm hoping someone can give me feedback on the following 3 questions:

1. Does the AWD system ever go 100% RWD like the G35x system? Can it get to at least 20-80 front-rear? 99 days out of 100, I would rather have RWD, but I think I want AWD available. One of the big attractions to me is that this platform is set up for RWD, unlike many of its competitors that are converted FWDers.

2. Has anyone towed something near the 3500 pound max capacity? I definitely want to use this vehicle to tow a boat and possibly my other car (not at the same time, obviously), which combined with a trailer are going to be right at the 3500 mark. I know from experience that just because the brochure says it can handle that much weight doesn't mean it handles it well.

3. How big a difference is the "sport-tuned suspension" in the sport package? I'm thinking of skipping that package because I have no interest in the bigger wheels and the other jewelry. Would I be wrong to assume that I could easily set up the suspension just as well or better by myself for less than $1500?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
320 Posts
#1 I dont think so, I may be wrong. A buddy of mine has a EVO VIII and cannot break the wheels loose.

#2 Not sure, it prolly could but, most of us bought for performance. I have a Jeep to do my dirty pulling/hauling etc...the FX is for light loads (Costco/shopping/etc...)

#3 No, $1500 is cheap for that setup, I have the 18" and would rather have the 20". Furthermore, a set of wheels would cost ~$1200-1500 alone. Some have said that non sport with 20" are a resonable in-between setup, you'll have to drive the two to determine for yourself if its rough. (it really isnt) Go for it...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hi & welcome. I'll try to answer your questions

1) Yes, after somewhere ~ 18mph it goes to full, 100% RWD until slip is detected and front traction is needed. Just like the 35x system.

2) No idea about this. But there have been a lot of posts about towing here and on Fresh Alloy.

3) Since you're coming from a G35 coupe and want that sporty RWD feel (just an assumption here), I say spring for the sports pkg. Not only does it upgrade the wheel/tire pkg, it also includes firmer shocks/springs. I think I remember MT's skidpad numbers were ~0.87 for the sport and ~0.80 for the non sport, which is a big difference IMO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts