Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
130 Posts
My 2004 FX45 has the same problem.

I thought about filling the cracks with a "putty" or Flex Glue, which is paintable, and then painting the dash with vinyl paint. ...But I'm not sure that's the way to go cheaply or is the best soluion? ...I'm lookiing for both results.

It seems to me that when the crack starts it will grow, but no new cracks form. So why not fill and paint? My only concern is maintaining the OEM grain texture in the dash... and I don't want to see the crack lines after I paint the dash.

I am resonably confident the Rustolium paint is compatable with vinyl and if you don't put too heavy of a coat on the dash then the OEM texture should be maintained. TBD.

Has any one tried using alcohol to clean the cash of oils; then filling in the cracks; and then then painting their dash? If so, please share your process if the results turned out good.

·
Registered
2005 FX45 120K miles
130 Posts
Thanks. I lose sleep over my engine not running perfect, but I can live with my dash cracks if the only option is to spend $400+ dollars. Some owners went with the dash-cover approach, but I don't know if I would be happy with that? I also have seen where a professional shop will remove the dash... fill in the cracks, sand, retexture, and paint to fully restore, but that too seems like too much work. It seems to me there should be an "in-car" solution and that's what I'm looking for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts