Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a 2003 FX35 without navigation. All I have right now is the base amber display.
Is it possible to replace it with the color display that has DVD and navigation?
If it is, does anyone know a model that would fit in into the housing to replace it?
Thank You.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You might as well go buy a second 2003 FX35 with navigation because that's about how much you will spend to get navigation in your first FX35

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm guessing it doesn't cost $10,000 to switch the radio, and buying another car probably wasn't a serious solution. Does anyone know the answer to this question?

My research brings up some double din options but no information as to the cost. Looking into finding a local audio shop who has done mods like this before to get a quote.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
This has been discussed several times in the past and is not just a radio swap and you are good to go. They used a different LCD, there was a GPS antenna that isn't in the non-tech version and you had to add the DVD drive under the seat for the system. The amount of effort by a shop to do this would be in thousands...if you wanted an OEM solution. Considering the street value of a 2003 fx relative to the amount needed to get the GPS in, it is easier to buy a new one with the nav option

Posted OnTheGo™

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I couldn't find a shop in Orange County California that could answer that question without telling me it cannot be done cheaply because everything would have to be custom which to some degree is true, but after researching over the internet and seeing some YouTube videos of them actually showing double din installations and how easy it was I decided to tackle it myself and I had no experience installing a radio or fabricating any body panels, but I did it for a fraction of the costs most shops wanted to charge me and I ended up with a 8" Android 5.1 head unit with AM/FM HD radio, front camera, Navigation through Google Maps and WAZE app, Torque app, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vevo, Sling TV, built-in phone and a bunch of other features that sound far better than the stock Bose system. Below is what my system looked like before I did the conversion and the pictures showing what it looks like now. It can be done, but you must have a lot of patience and time!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
after market radio /navi Infiniti Fx

Hello Pearl, I know this is a long time ago that you build in this radio and you probebly don't have the car anymore. If you stil have the car, can /wil you tell me if you are stil ok with the radio. I have a FX 45 from 2004 and searching for a aftermarket radio / navi that also works in the Netherlands/Europe. I can not open the pictures or video in your topic or tread but I would like to see them.
Best regards,
Jaap Heijnen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2004 FX35 where I want to install a receiver into the Satelite channel. Anyone out there with a slick solution? Wanting to end up with external microphone for handsfree, multiple cellphone connections and Bluetooth... typically it is only me with my cellphone and playing music from my iPad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome.

My question though, is your climate control still working? Which does it work through? I see that the lower banner is blank in your photos.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Most people who have installed an after market stereo have to mount the original climate control screen at another spot. Usually low near the ashtray, but I've seen a custom dash mount and a custom ceiling mount at the sunglasses holder in the past.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts