Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a quick rant:

My FX has been running like a champ ever since I’ve owned it. But tonight she decided not to start. I was pulling up into a gas station and hit a deep pothole, jarring the car pretty good. I’ve hit worse before so I didn’t think much of it. I turn off the car, filled it up and got back in. At first I thought I didn’t hold it down long enough to turn the engine over, so I tried again…no luck. After a few more attempts I popped the hood to see if anything has been disconnected from that bump. Since it was dark I couldn’t really tell, I even looked under the car to see if anything was loose. I lifted the rear seat cushion to see if the connection to the pumps were ok, but I couldn’t tell either. After all these checks, I decided to call a tow truck.

It was a bumpy 10-mile ride home. Yes home. I’m leaving for Thailand this week so I figured I’d take care of this when I got back, so no point of leaving it at the dealer or any mechanic. As the tow truck guy was about to lower the car back to the ground, he accidentally cranks the key all the way, and VROOM!!! She started!

Right about this time I knew it had to be a loose connection somewhere for the fuel system, and the last people to meddle with that was the dealership when they fixed my TSB on the fuel filler hose for ’03 fx45s. This was done less than a month ago. I distinctively remember the service advisor telling me to bring the car in w/ ¼-tank since they had to lower the tank to get to the hose. That pothole was the first major bump since the repair. I’ve never touched the fuel system on this car before, unless you count the ECU re-flash. But I’ve never encountered anything negative from that.

Before I do anything, I just wanted to check with you guys to see if there are any precautions and advice I should take before pointing fingers.

You guys are great! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it just sounded normal, no clicking... just not cranking over to idle.

sounded like it had no gas...not even that uneven idle of "almost there" sound.

battery was good
starter was good

when i got it home, every time i tried, it started up fine...idled fine too.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have had the same thing happen. I think it has something to do with touching the starter for a short period of time. It seems like the thing refuses to start the next couple of tries.
I never had it refuse to start after letting it sit about a minute though.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I had the same thing happen last weekend on my 2005. At first I thought I just hadn't given it enough time to crank. But then it refused to start even with 10-15 seconds of strong cranking. Mine sounded like there was no fuel as well.

After about 10 minutes and probably 20 attempts, I pushed it out of its parking space and turned the car so it wasn't sitting nose down. I also switched over to the REAL key instead of the intelli-key. I'm not sure which of these did the trick, but it started right up. I called Infiniti to wave off the flatbed, and I haven't had a problem with it since. :?

I suspect it was one of two things:

1. The intelli-key circuits were confused. Remember I used the REAL key to fire it up. Of course I've used the intelli-key for every start before and after this occurance with no problems.

2. The car was sitting very slightly nose down. Perhaps the pump that transfers fuel from one side of the saddle-bag gas tank to the other wasn't doing its thing. Could that lead to fuel starvation? That was the thinking I used to turn the car out of that parking space.

Regardless... I got it home, it ran like a champ on the way, and it has run fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Sent you a PM, check your filter,if your filter became dislodged by the bump etc and separated from the MAF it will stall or not start...a couple of us have had the problem with the box or look a like

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had the chance to test it out today, but it seems feasible that the MAF could have played a role on this. I'll see what it does tomorrow before leaving for work. I'll try your tricks out tomorrow if i end up getting delayed at the parking lot. Thanks again for all your input.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
also note whether it "ever" catches a bit on the time you are cranking. mine would catch a bit like it was going to fire up, but never actually do so.

then i finally got them to replace a leaking injector with jugs help.

check for gas smell too while cranking

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
cranking, or not

Mine has done this three times. W Tech Package, I had to take my key out and stick it in to start teh FX. Only one of the two keys worked by the way. Cant remember why, but that triggers the kill safety switch.

For me this was the issue. I had the front jacked up with front tires off cleaning. WHen I dropped it , it would not start.

The second time was dead battery and I had to replace it.

Third time, it just would not start and I had to do it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old post.. but i had my 8 month old car pull that crap on me today... the car would not start.. i can hear the cranking.. but just won't fire up.. until... i use the regular key and give that a couple try.. and suddenly it fired up.... wired?

also .. i put it in Park.. and try step on the gas the rev the engine.. the engine sounds fine..but some weird hollow notes are coming from exhaust.. as if I have aftermarket exhaust.. but I don't have any aftermarket exhaust...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to confirm the experience that terps4 and others have reported here - specifically, that a weak or dead battery or other situation that disrupts the electrical power for some period of time may result in the FX engine cranking but never actually starting when you use the "keyless" start. This behavior is very similar to having a bad fuel pump - but, before you go down the fuel pump replacement route, try starting with the physical key. If that succeeds once then future attempts to use the key "keyless" start should succeed.

Hope this helps someone.

Craig

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2006 FX. Like it was out of gas. Would turn over but not catch. Never had to have it towed (close once - the wrecker was on the way) since it always eventually restarted.

I'd had it to the dealer several times, but of course it always started when they had it. They said there were no codes, but once they replaced the smart key remote. The problem became more frequent, so I started keeping a log - hot, cold, outside temp, fuel level, gas cap tight, etc. Didn't seem to be a pattern, but it would fail to start about every two weeks. I finally discovered the solution that always worked was to use the key. Started every time with the key. But, hey - one of the cool things about the FX is the smart key feature!

Finally, one day after an "episode," I took it to the dealer. New tech this time who put the scope on it and found a code indicating one of two things: the receiving unit for the smart key was intermittently faulty, or the BCM (Body Control Module) was defective. The simpler and cheaper fix (but still under my CPO warranty) was the receiving unit. He ordered one, put it in, and I haven't had the problem since (that was in October). Knock on wood! They even covered the $50 deductible on my extended warranty (maybe because I'd had it in before when it was under the original 60K factory warranty for this problem).

Hope this helps! Pretty annoying problem, but it seems to have solved it for me. Also - the Tech told me the on-board computer only keeps those codes for a short time - maybe a day or two. So as soon as it happens next time, start it with the key and head to the dealer. He can put the scope on it and hopefully find the code.

gibby26

·
Registered
4 Posts
It funny I just got a 2010 fx35 been driving for about 1,300 mile now. One night I go in the car and it don't start. I notice before I hop in the car the brake led light went crazy with fast flashing with a clicking noise. Try unplugging the battery to reset the car, but still can't start. The clicking sound seem like it coming from the front passenger side where the ecu lay. And car was running in the morning until afternoon with no issue. Any Fix or why it doing this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Will the engine turn over when you try to start it? Or is it just dead - like the battery is dead. Mine would turn over fine, but not catch - like it was out of gas. Good thing your warranty includes towing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
gibby26 said:
Will the engine turn over when you try to start it? Or is it just dead - like the battery is dead. Mine would turn over fine, but not catch - like it was out of gas. Good thing your warranty includes towing.
When I press push button start with brake pedal depressed and on status show up, right after that all the electrical instrument flicker like crazy and everything shutdown like power from the battery die. There is also a clicking noise from the passenger kick plate. I plug up a battery booster to the battery and it seem more power was given to the car, but the flicking light and clicking noise still pursue and then all shutdown. I think a software with the car computer is looping or something to deal with the key chip and cutoff engine is mulfunctioning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You definitely right with the warranty, but the point is a new, premium suv with a very low mile is cause this inconvenient. Now I have to take a day off from work to fix this issue. I had a Pathfinder that had no issue until the 9th year, but this I understand, because of wear and tear. I trust Nissan/Infiniti on thier reliability pedigree, but with all the computer aid, electrical part, and software installed this going to happen. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Sometimes things go wrong with even the most reliable car. Bring it to the dealer. Sucks but thats the way it goes sometimes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2004 FX35 and everytime i let the car outside for about 7 hours when i return it's start very easy but want to stall immediately. I don't understand why because i check the batterie and it's good, i don't miss power when i push the pedal, the idle is very stable and when i start in the garage there's no problem at all.
There's someone have this problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2004 Infiniti FX35 cranks but wont start, it happened after I disconnected and reconnected the ECM and followed these steps:
1. Unplug the battery from the car
2. Let the car sit for fifteen (15) minutes unplugged.
3. Install the new ECU
4. Reconnect the battery
5. Turn the key to AUXILIARY (or RUN) position (ignition half way to where all the lights come on - at this point the "Check Engine" light needs to be ON... if it's on then the ECU is in working condition).
6. Let sit for another five (5) minutes
7. Turn off the car
But at step 5 the "Check Engine" light does not come on but the radiator cooling fun comes on and stays on. the engine cranks but it does not start, and my OBD scanner cannot connect (The same scanner was able to connect before).
Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts