Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just finished washing the 45 this afternoon using the electric blower method for the second time. It works good on the drip, drip areas.

·
Registered
56 Posts
sweet fx and kxfx45,

I understand why you do this, but I wonder what your neighbors might think about you using a leaf blower on your car? (picturing this in my head) I already know that my neighbors think I'm crazy since I give my car a wipe down about every morning. :lol:

take care

mark

·
Registered
779 Posts
My neighbors think I am nuts as well. It started with my old BMW which took me 2+ hours to clean. With the FX, I am estimating it will take me 3 hours to get it clean, which means I will go from nuts to (nuts)^2... :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yesterday's wash was done inside the garage so the neighbors couldn't see. They have seen me cleaning or working on my vehicles at all hours, so I don't think anything would surprise them

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I do not use the leaf blower. My FX came with horrible waterspots so I do my best to not make more, by drying as I go. I am at 7000 ft evelation and water dries in an instant. But I am going to be starting my porter cable project soon (with tips from Wayne) and I do have an oil less air compressor if I want to try that.

Anyway, my neighbors really must think I am weird when I am out washing the FX when it is dark out. I am not talking at dusk, I mean like 8 or 9 pm. with no light. I cant wash in my driveway (it is uphill) so I have to wash in the street. They are all use to me being out there in the road washing on a nice weekend afternoon.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Waynestowels said:
PINITI-FX said:
Anybody ever get brave enough to drill a small drip-drain hole, 1/8" through the underside of the mirror housing? :shock:
I "almost" did last weekend, but couldn't get up the nerve, LOL!!
First I want to get a good look inside to see what "may" be hit with the bit...
Can Shady (or another member) please post an exploded View of our Mirror assembly? ...especially the Drivers side as I believe a transmitter or receiver for the "I" key may be in there. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello PINITI !

I try to find door mirror assembly and find this 2 pages under GLASSES, WINDOW SYSTEM & MIRRORS section.
Hope this help. Let me know if you need more information/pics from service manual.

Regards,

Steve A.

P.S. I found also pic of all antenna locations if this is interesting for someone.There is 6 antenna locations related to I-key.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Thank you. :) Is there a more detailed view of what is Behind the mirror glass Inside the mirror Housing? My goal is to drill a small drip-drain hole so after washing, it won't retain water forever, and I don't want to tap into any Surprises.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't find in the service manual more detailed pics. And about general idea to make a small drip-drain hole I have some doubts relevant to capillary effect. May be water will not drain because of effect. Usually I use vacuum-cleaner with nozzle that suck water from side mirrors and other dificult to drain places.

Regards,

Steve A.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I think I'd agree with Storm-FX on this one, drainage is more than just a hole... and in your environment PINITI you'd get moisture inside and then it'd freeze up and you'll be SOL.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I've been using the leaf blower since last summer to no avail; the darn drips still keep coming from the mirrors. I hold the blower an inch from the mirror at full blast and watch the water go streaming out of it, yet I come back 10 minutes later and drip, drip, drip...

If I don't plan on driving the car until the next day, I've found that simply trapping a drying cloth between the window and the mirror (by folding the mirrors closed) seems to take care of it. The next morning I remove the towel and find no drips or water spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You can always wrap a plastic bag around the mirror and secure it with a rubber band while washing the vehicle - then complete the side mirror by hand when finished rinsing the car off.

Sort of a ridiculous process, but you wont get any water in the mirror housing. 8)

·
Registered
285 Posts
PINITI-FX said:
Yep, those are the notorious "drip-drip" areas, I think you've named 'em all! :lol: Ready to Drill?
I found it very effective to treat this problem with alcohol. :idea:

Have a few shots and it is not going to bother you anymore…
Vodka works particularly well!
:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Boris Badenov said:
[quote="PINITI-FX":70s4lesz]Yep, those are the notorious "drip-drip" areas, I think you've named 'em all! :lol: Ready to Drill?
I found it very effective to treat this problem with alcohol. :idea:
[/quote:70s4lesz]
Remember, always re-wax, seal or Zaino and area you applied alcohol to, as it will remove the protection.

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
first you need to investigate where the water is coming from :D

i found that it gets in the housing (obvious), in the hinge area and it also gets up into the three bolt holes under the mirror.

i take a paper towel and fold it over itself at an angle so that there is a "point" in it. then i shove the point up into the slit under the mirror and above the housing and push it way up in there and leave it. then i take the car for a quick speed around the block. when iget back i just take out the paper towel, wipe off the excess that has come out and wick up any drips that are stuck up in the three bolt holes. usually does the trick.

also i take a paper towel and wed it up and shove it in the fog light housing and leave it there as i do the same drive. it you leave it in there for a few minutes, it takes all that water out too.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
21 - 40 of 56 Posts