Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mainly talked about the LDW...i still doubt that feature since it can be potentially very annoying...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
davezaristo said:
Mainly talked about the LDW...i still doubt that feature since it can be potentially very annoying...
The article actually is focused on advanced safety technology in general, with a slant towards the car doing more and the driver doing less. The article is even titled, "Latest Car Models Take The Driver Out of Driving" Infiniti's LWD (via the '05 FX) was one of several new technologies discussed.

Interestingly, WSJ reports that LWD (along with parking assistance) is one of the most desired technologies. I must confess to being very interested in it, to the pint of perhaps waiting for the '05. I see LWD being very useful on long trips of 6-8 hours or more. I ending up not waiting because of limited use (i.e. ongs trips only) and cost (apparently for now Infiniti has chosen to package it with MES).

The article concluded with a report that Toyota already offers an option on the Prius (in Japan only) so that the car parks itself.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Lane departure warning

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It's a great new techonology that encourages people to pay less attention to driving, drive when sleepy and talk more on the cell phone, etc...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
FYI - the other featured technologies were: Active Cruise Control, Parking Aids, Rain-sensing Wipers, Smart Climate Control, and Smart Headlights.

With the new FX I have Active Cruise Control, although I have not really tried it out yet. I need to go on a road trip :D

Both our MDX and the FX have the reverse camera. Acura offers tilt-down mirrors in the MDX and I find that a very useful/helpful feature. They are definitely on my FX "wish list."

The MDX also has rain-sensing wipers. This is a nice feature to have, but not a necessary one in my opinion. Even though it works very well there are other things higher on the "wish list" (see above).

For now I have no desire for Lexus' Smart Climate Control; the LS430 senses where passengers are and automatically directs airflow there.

Nor do I desire the Smart Headlights, which adjusts light brightness automatically based on oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
ujmot said:
It's a great new techonology that encourages people to pay less attention to driving, drive when sleepy and talk more on the cell phone, etc...
I do not see this technology as "encouraging" poor driving habits; rather I see it as a potentially promising safety feature. The driver who does not drift some while on an extended drive (6+ hours) is rare indeed; I for one am guilty and most everyone else is to (if they are honest). Good for the rare driver who has never drifted off course.

Head-on collisions are the ones most responsible for serious/fatal crashes (NHTSA says 20% of crashes involve lane departures - according to this WSJ article). My sister lost her father-in-law in a head-on collision earlier this year. Last Christmas a Texas Tech student from my home town lost his life in a head-on collision; this one hits home because I have two kids who also attend Texas Tech and make those long drives.

·
Registered
188 Posts
"Rain sensing wipers", hahahah, now that's something I need because I'm too lazy to lift my right hand and turn the wipers on myself. :wink:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Christian said:
"Rain sensing wipers", hahahah, now that's something I need because I'm too lazy to lift my right hand and turn the wipers on myself. :wink:
Acura's version is a little more sophisticated than simple on and off. They sense the amount of rain and vary the speed accordingly. I for one do not like windshield wipers that go any faster than necessary, therefore I frequently "lift my right hand" to adjust the speed. As I said this is by no means a necessary accessory, but one that is nice to have.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Aren't our wipers atleast speed sensitive?

About the head on collision - Sorry to hear about those unfortunate accidents. I've lost a friend because of one also. It wasnt because of someone falling asleep behind the wheel however. It was some drunk dipsh!t that decided to speed down the wrong side of the highway. Now if Infiniti can come up with a drunk driver warnings system...

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Christian said:
This is actually a great feature, I had in my Mercedes CLK, it is supposed to adjust the intermittant delay depending on how hard it's raining.

Aren't the FX wipers sensitive to something? I have never used them since it hasn't &^[email protected]%#[email protected]#& rained since April or so. I should probably try them to make sure they work...

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
ShadyJC said:
I have never used them since it hasn't &^[email protected]%#[email protected]#& rained since April or so. I should probably try them to make sure they work...
Ha ha, same here!

Yes the wiper speed varies with the vehicle speed, but only in intermittent mode.

From the owner's manual: "when the vehicle speed is high, the intermittent operation speed will be faster".

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
The driver who does not drift some while on an extended drive (6+ hours) is rare indeed; I for one am guilty and most everyone else is to (if they are honest). Good for the rare driver who has never drifted off course.
Er, you serious?!

I drove a 26-foot Ryder with a four-wheel car-dolly from DC to Oakland over the course of three days driving 18 hours per day, including thru near-tornado weather in boring-ass, straight-ass Nebraska. If I'd so much as sneezed wrong I'd've been all over I-80, but the only thing that got to me was the wind.

I used to drive Gary, IN to the ATL and back (10hrs each way) for a weekend jaunt all the time in College.

It's really not that hard.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I know the things that cause me to get distracted while driving, so I avoid them when possible. One of those things, unfortunately, is a speed limit that doesn't allow me to go fast enough where I'm forced to pay attention on a long drive. For example, I lived in Nebraska for two years, back in the days of the national 55mph limit, and occasionally did 12 hour drives to Michigan. ZZZzzz... Not that I'd actually go 55mph, but even 65 was so slow that you'd get bored, and that causes your mind to wander. For those of you who can put it on cruise for a few hours, and not get distracted, well, you're genes must just be better than mine.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
kcrudup said:
Er, you serious?!

I drove a 26-foot Ryder with a four-wheel car-dolly from DC to Oakland over the course of three days driving 18 hours per day, including thru near-tornado weather in boring-ass, straight-ass Nebraska. If I'd so much as sneezed wrong I'd've been all over I-80, but the only thing that got to me was the wind.

I used to drive Gary, IN to the ATL and back (10hrs each way) for a weekend jaunt all the time in College.

It's really not that hard.
If you are saying you have NEVER inadvertantly drifted out of your lane, yet; then I salute you sir. And I meant to emphasize the word YET.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
one time in college i fell to sleep at the wheel of my old ford tempo. i was sitting indian-style on the seat with the CC on :shock:

i woke up to a big-rig honking the horn. i was heading down the grass in the center median ... still indian-style...still with the CC on....and there was a grove of trees ahead of me about 1/8 mile !

needless to say, i didnt even take off the CC or have time to get out of indian-style. i just gently turned the wheel and slid sideays at an angle up the slope and back onto the road at 80 mph and JUST missed the trees by mere feet.

i had such an adrelaline dump on that one that i had to pull over after it happened becuase i was about to faint (i.e.. everything was going black).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
After reading the details of the LDW on the manual I realized:
1) It could prove to be an extremely annoying feature
2) It is severely limited in terms of effectivness or Nissan has covered its ass so well that I would be surprised if the thing worked at all.

If I dropped something in the car, it would have to wait till the next stop to get it. If something needs immediate attention away from the road, then I would pull over to handle it. If I was tired enough to fall asleep behind the wheel doing 75mph, then I would need more than a beep to wake me, I'm a pretty deep sleeper. But that's just me....

The LDW should utilize a shock and scold system. Bzzzt! 'Pay attention dumbass!' ;)

Varying my speed help keep me focused on those long boring straights.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts