Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the FX in the snow/ice at higher speeds can it handle new england winters. Snow tires required?
Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am from Montréal and have heavy snow most of the winter
FX is great as long as you have snow/ice tires. I have 235/65/18 snow tires and never get stuck and the drive is nice

·
Registered
848 Posts
There has been lots of prior discussion about this, including threads that recommend the right tires. I'd recommend doing a search. The answers you'll find will vary wildly, but I believe that it generally will come down to a couple of things...the type of vehicle you're coming from, and your bad weather driving skill. The FX handles snow better than any car (not SUV/Truck) I've driven with one possible exception (a Subaru AWD w/snow tires). I've got alot of snow driving experience, and had no troubles with the Goodyears while driving between here and Mich. last year.

Good Luck,
Don

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can some up winter driving for most vehicles like this:

If you drive like a idiot it won't matter what kind of tires/vehicle you have. If you drive careful, a good set of snows will work for most vehicles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
audiinshop said:
How is the FX in the snow/ice at higher speeds can it handle new england winters. Snow tires required?
Thanks
No car will handle snow/ice AND higher speeds. Sure the FX will do a good job of getting you going, but winter breaking is all about your tires. Depending on your area you might not need dedicated snow tires, but a good set of full-siped all seasons is a must.

FWIW - if my FX had to brave a New England winter with all the crap they put on the roads up there, I'd have a cheaper set of 18" wheels with a set of Blizaks mounted.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OK, next question. Are the stock Goodyears good enough snow tires? They are M&S, aren't they?

·
Registered
848 Posts
cantdrv55 said:
OK, next question. Are the stock Goodyears good enough snow tires? They are M&S, aren't they?
Yes they are M&S, and yes they're good enough...at least when they're not worn down (I'm going to try to make it through this winter before replacing my tires) Obviously, snows would be better, but the Goodyears are fine as long as you don't try to drive like an idiot. Don't goose the gas as you're going around corners, or you'll feel the back end slide a bit. For those of you who are undecided, take it to an empty parking lot after the first snow, and play...slam on the brakes, spin the wheel, gas it in a corner...and see for yourself if you feel comfortable. This is a great way to push the envelope a bit, and learn how your vehicle will handle in an emergency condition

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
The stock tires that come on the FX will be completely useless in real snow country. I got my FX a couple of months ago, took one look at the stock tires and was online that night. I bought wheels and Blizzaks from Tirerack premounted. I'll be putting them on in a couple weeks We get between 200 and 300" inches of snow up here every winter. The stock tires aren't even all season. I've been driving in heavy snow every winter for over 35 yrs. Granted, common sense prevails. You drive like an idiot on snow and ice, you'll pay the price. Stopping is usually more of a problem than going. I drive a 3/4 ton Dodge service van with rear wheel drive everyday and I don't have a problem. Once again, common sense. Doing what was suggested to you about testing your car and driving skills in a parking lot is a good idea.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
1st post, Welcome & thank you for real snow / tire insight.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's going to be the first winter for my FX and now it has almost 20k miles on it. I don't think tires have enough tread left but I will see how much snow we will get.

Unless stock Goodyears are pretty bad on snow, I would buy another all season tires.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It's amazing when folks discuss tires that one person says the stocks are useless in "snow country" and others say they are good enough. Your going to have to make your own decisions on tires. There are very few experts in this area that are unbiased.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
FXLENT said:
It's amazing when folks discuss tires that one person says the stocks are useless in "snow country" and others say they are good enough. Your going to have to make your own decisions on tires. There are very few experts in this area that are unbiased.
The difference is that the ones that say they're good enough have never driven in real snow. The schools don't even close up here till we get over 12-15" of snow And that's only if there's a lot of blowing and drifting. Other than that, it's business as usual.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i've never driven in snow but need to learn...any tips for a beginning snow driver?

·
Registered
185 Posts
not my first post so maybe I can speak up...

if you live in snow country where snow actually stay on the ground in the streets then winter tires are a must no matter what car you drive.

The stock Goodyears will get you going, will slide on turns and will not slow you down good enough to be safe at stop lights.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wireboltman said:
FXLENT said:
The difference is that the ones that say they're good enough have never driven in real snow. The schools don't even close up here till we get over 12-15" of snow And that's only if there's a lot of blowing and drifting. Other than that, it's business as usual.
I've got news for ya buddy, but I grew up in Michigan, and drove my FX in the snow up there last year. You stated above that the stock tires aren't even all season...I suggest that you look at what Goodyear has to say about that. You haven't even driven the vehicle in snow yet, and you're already coming off as an expert. :roll: If there are still cars on the road with snow tires, then the FX with the stock Goodyears will still be there too. Don't expect it to keep up with your truck on snows though.

Oh, and welcome to the board 8) ...no slack for newbies...even from a former Michigander :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
On packed snow, the Goodyear's are fine. Chased a snowstorm upstate to snowboard early last season and it drove very well on fresh snow. On slush however, it's an entirely different ballgame.... just awful. In NYC, they put down salt before the snow hits.... messy, slipping & sliding everywhere! But as people here already mentioned, dont drive like an idiot, respect the elements and you should be fine. It also helps alot to go out and find the car's limits (the parking lot suggestion).

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
I've got news for ya buddy, but I grew up in Michigan, and drove my FX in the snow up there last year. You stated above that the stock tires aren't even all season...I suggest that you look at what Goodyear has to say about that. You haven't even driven the vehicle in snow yet, and you're already coming off as an expert. :roll: If there are still cars on the road with snow tires, then the FX with the stock Goodyears will still be there too. Don't expect it to keep up with your truck on snows though.

Oh, and welcome to the board 8) ...no slack for newbies...even from a former Michigander :D
Well, being new here , I certainly don't mean to start out on a contentious note. However, I'll stand by what I've said. I took the text below from the Goodyear description for these tires. I stand corrected. They are listed as an all season tire------for light snow.
Up here, a tire like this just doesn't work. I've already had people asking what I was going to do for winter tires. An all season tire people buy up here doesn't look anything like these tires do. Whether it be for a car or a truck.
I'm curious as to what part of Michigan you're referring to when you say you grew up here. If you mean below the bridge, then you're talking about a whole different country. Kind of like the bannana belt down there. I live just about dead center in the UP of Michigan.
(I still had about 4-1/2' of snow on level ground in my yard well into April and we only got about 230" last winter) I don't mean to sound like I'm an expert about anything and regret that's how you took what I wrote.
To me, it was just a cut and dried situation. Nothing really to think about or consider.
You're also right in that I've never driven the vehicle in the winter with the stock tires-------and won't be. Not worth experimenting with the safety aspect (others safety or my own) of the whole situation in my opinion.
On another note:
I've learned many things about my car from this board and much enjoy all of the posts I've been reading the last couple months. This topic was one I felt was in my court and decided to throw my two cents in.
I've put about 2500 miles on the car now and can't get enough of it.
Running for milk and bread has taken on a whole new aspect.

• Branded with M+S symbol, year-round traction even in light snow
• H or V-speed rated
• 60 series and lower

These tires provide light snow traction through tread designs and compounds which remain flexible in the cold weather to help blend all-season traction with good handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wireboltman...yes, I'm from below the bridge (only been to the UP once). However, I've also spent some winters in Ontario (I owned property there until last year), with snow up to my nose, and driven in the Alps & Rockys in the winter. I've only had the FX in about 6" of snow, but she handled fine (there was plenty of tread on the tires then, and this year I'll be alot more careful with over 20k on 'em). I wouldn't think of driving it in much of anything deeper than that simply because it would get bogged down on the body (snows or not), with only 7" of ground clearance.

All that said, if I was in your (snow)shoes, I'd probably buy some Blizzaks (sp?) too, since you spend nearly half the year on snow.

You're welcome to throw your 2 cents in, just like everyone else here. :eek: So, welcome again, and let's see some pix of your FX! 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts