Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
This past winter after a pretty good storm, (40+ inches in 2 days) I was out "testing " my FX with my Blizzak tires -again-. I drove into a church parking lot that was unplowed.
I stopped in the middle of it. The snow was up to the bottom of the grill. I walked out of there barely slipping a wheel. That was the last in my series of "tests" for the FX. I was satisfied. With a set of snow tires (Blizzaks) this thing will go just about anywhere in the snow.

PS I tested it in soupy mud about 12" deep last fall and was extremely impressed, also. (and that was still with the original RSA's with 3/33-34" tread left at best) She slogged through with little problem

I've been driving Jeeps the last 12-14 yrs

The AWD system on this vehicle works extremely well. I couldn't be happier with it. This is the first truly crossover vehicle ever made.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Wireboltman said:
This is the first truly crossover vehicle ever made.
Technically, the Audi allroad was the *first* crossover vehicle made. To be honest, it was one **** of a car for its time. 250 hp V6 with twin turbos... 4 positon air ride... Luxury to match the best of the competition... and a huge cargo capacity as well. The old platform has gotten a bit behind the times, and that's why I'm in an FX right now. But thre is a new A6 platform this year, and Audi will be getting the allroad back in form with a late '06 arrival.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
terps4 said:
Wireboltman said:
This is the first truly crossover vehicle ever made.
Technically, the Audi allroad was the *first* crossover vehicle made. To be honest, it was one **** of a car for its time. 250 hp V6 with twin turbos... 4 positon air ride... Luxury to match the best of the competition... and a huge cargo capacity as well. The old platform has gotten a bit behind the times, and that's why I'm in an FX right now. But thre is a new A6 platform this year, and Audi will be getting the allroad back in form with a late '06 arrival.
Forgot about that one. We used to head out into the woods and follow the POR (Press On Regardless races) One of their circuits was through the UP up here right where I live. The Audi AWD had just come out then and for the next several years, it was virtually unbeatable in that category of racing. Full bore through the woods. I ended up in the race one year about 2 in the morning running late to get to the spot we were headed. I had a1974 Subaru FWD. 60 mph down 2 rut roads. Pretty **** exciting, I gotta tell ya. :twisted:
That's 30 yrs ago.

I wonder if the Audi was built on a truck frame or not.
The FX is built on a 350Z platform. There is no other crossover today that I know of that's built on a sports car platform.

Given that's the case, maybe the FX can still hold the claim of the first true crossover?
:D

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
The allroad is currently built on the A6 wagon platform, known internally as the C5. The 2005 A6 is built on what is called the C6 platform. While certainly not a truck chassis, I'm not sure I would call it a pure sportscar chassis either. Of course the RS6 was built on the C5l... a bit of a toss up really.

The crossover idea leaves a lot of room to wiggle. I would argue the allroad was more luxury and more off road than the FX. Of course, the FX is more SUV and more sportscar. Either way, they are both crossovers.

-Andy

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
terps4 said:
The crossover idea leaves a lot of room to wiggle. I would argue the allroad was more luxury and more off road than the FX. Of course, the FX is more SUV and more sportscar. Either way, they are both crossovers.

-Andy
Ya oughta put a set of Blizzaks on your FX and take er for a little run out in the bush.
You'd be pleasantly surprised, to be sure. This AWD system works extremely well.
I'm done doing that now, but I had to "test" it when I got it having been a Jeep man for many years.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Back in January here in NJ we had the "BLIZZARD 2005", I got to test out my 03FX35. Not much of a test. My wife went into labor and had to drive 30 minutes to the hospital.

Got to say the FX did great and funny part is I have the Stock 18 Potenza on them and was still impressed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.