Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our roots can be traced to the first gen. prototype shown below....

you can definately see the emergence of the suv-like sportscar, but the lines and edges are still a bit of a 'miss' (imo)

id like to know where this car wound up anyway........

form an infiniti press release::

Infiniti FX45 Concept

Making its debut at the North American International Auto Show, the FX45 Concept vehicle has been created to take on the rapidly expanding "Crossover Luxury" SUV market.

"We started with a blank piece of paper and asked the question, ‘What kind of vehicle do we want to drive?’" said Tom Orbe, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division. "The result was the FX45 Concept – a sports car driver’s vehicle first with the practicality of an SUV second."

The FX45 owner could use it as a primary vehicle, after owning and outgrowing a traditional sports car, or relegating the sports car to weekend-only use. "They still want true sports car performance, but need room for family and all of life’s other necessities," said Orbe. "This buyer also operates right on the cutting edge and will want the latest and greatest vehicle available."

The low-slung FX45 Concept vehicle combines the best sport utility vehicle qualities, including optimized space utilization, four full-size doors for passenger entry and a large rear hatch for cargo with sports car styling – a low slung, wide stance and huge wheels and tyres. The split tailgate features a slide-out load floor for ease of cargo loading. The roof of the FX45 is made of glass, for an open-air feel, but with automatic shades for passenger comfort. The rear tailgate opens in two pieces – the glass hatch swivels upwards, the lower gate swivels downwards.

Inside the leather-appointed passenger compartment, personalized zones characterise specific areas, unlike a traditional SUV, which is usually wide open and formless. The driver’s zone, maximized for the driver’s enjoyment, features integrated tilt steering and instruments, as well as a 9.5-inch LCD monitor that provides functions for the advanced navigation system, HVAC controls, audio controls, Infiniti Communicator, internet and email access. The front passenger zone has its own climate controls for maximum comfort. The rear zone, for rear seat passengers, features a DVD player, video game system and a rear water bottle cooler. The entire interior is covered with Alcantara fabric and solid aluminum parts, giving the FX45 passenger an exciting contrast of warm and cool design cues.

"FX45 Concept vehicle performance target is far above that of the current crop of SUVs," said Orbe. "Instead, we targeted large sports luxury cars, such as the BMW 7-series, Lexus GS430 and our own 2002 Q45."

A specially tuned 32-valve 4.5-litre V8 powers the FX45 coupled to a 5-speed automatic transmission with manual mode. Distributing power to the ground is an All-Mode driveline, adapted from the system found in the Nissan Skyline GT-R supercar, for superior performance in dry and adverse weather conditions.

Assisting driving is the 'Vehicular Control System', which controls brake pressure and engine torque in over and understeer situations.

"With its high performance sports orientation, we feel that an FX45 driver will not participate in serious off-roading," said Orbe. "Instead, we’ve given it stability and exceptional performance in light traction situations such as rain, snow or gravel."

The FX45 comes with all-disc ABS and Electronic Brake Distribution, aiding stability in deceleration. Large 20-inch wheels complete the FX45 Concept vehicle’s suspension and give it an aggressive, broad-shouldered look.

"We’re sure that the FX45 Concept vehicle will be a hit with consumers and send a strong message to competitors that Infiniti’s product resurgence is for real," said Orbe. "We are confident that the Infiniti brand is one worth aspiring to."

Attachments

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
laslty, a few more images of the 2001 prototype that spawned our beloved FX.......

you'll see some distinct similarities in the interior as well.......

enjoy!

SMS

(((next edition will showcase the MUCH refiend 2002 prototype; available to view on Sun, feb 01, 2004)))

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
yeah I saw those pics way back. hey the clock was actually in a useful place bef4 lol. It looks a LOT better now IMO.
and whats up with the nav screen? is the reason that the current one is pushed in because of glare from the sun?

·
Registered
286 Posts
ha ha ha
did you see the bubbling leather seat on the concept car. so maybe it was a feature that was meant to be

·
Registered
706 Posts
I see that. Unbelievable! The center armrest looks like it would be a better option than the one they got now. Looks like there might only be about 400 parts or so on that one.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fxer said:
ha ha ha
did you see the bubbling leather seat on the concept car. so maybe it was a feature that was meant to be
caught that too..........

every interior pic of any car now (esp. fx) i immediately look at the dang driver-seat base.....

i blame this on UJMOT, who is on his third seat, in as many months as ownership, i think.......

(j/k about the blame thing T)

sms

ps- anyone want me to resize the image to fit the screen w/o scollbaring?? i shouldve checked their physical size before uploading...

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I don't care either way about the scrolling, but do we have to have the big box around the images? There is never a description, the filesize is irrelevant and the number of times viewed isn't particularly interesting. IMHO.

Anyway, this is a great idea for a thread. Although I have seen similar pics of this concept, I still enjoy looking them over and seeing the things I wish Infiniti had kept and the things I'm glad they nixed.

Are those 18"ers?

·
Registered
286 Posts
wow
the frontal view of the concept model kicks a$$.
looks alot better that the actual production model :wink:

·
Registered
286 Posts
actually only the frontal view i like better than the production.
the rest of the vehicle is clealy better on the production model

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The production model look so much sexier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts