Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at my Audio Shop (DSI on Route 1 in Laurel) yesterday to see if they could install an After-Market Nav in the FX. After some discussion/research, was determined that they could install an Alpine 5.8 inch screen where the sunglasses holder is currently located; also gave me the option of having a back-up cam wired into the Nav screen.

Parts/Installation for the Nav system (not including the back-up cam) is approx. $2.5K - - sound about right?

Was also told that Alpine's Nav has better resolution than the stock FX Nav, and that the back-up cam would be crystal clear...any experiences out there?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Many thanks,
Claude

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
The aftermarket one that I saw installed, was in the same place as where the OEM is currently. But the unit was in the trunk area.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet Fx said:
The aftermarket one that I saw installed, was in the same place as where the OEM is currently. But the unit was in the trunk area.
Actually, this was discussed as an option, but I was told that I would lose all the graphics (station displays, temp, etc) that are currently displayed on that screen if I had it installed there.

I was also told that it could be installed in the "sun visor" or above the dash (above the current display screen), but I said "Nay" to both those options.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
How about one of those pop-out screen units where the clock panel is?

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MustGoFastR said:
How about one of those pop-out screen units where the clock panel is?
Hmmmmm...I'll have to inquire!!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
PullingMaxGs said:
Was also told that Alpine's Nav has better resolution than the stock FX Nav, and that the back-up cam would be crystal clear...any experiences out there?
Alpine makes the OEM Nav for Acura. I can not say for sure about the after-market version, but Acura's OEM are excellent (arguably the best in the industry). Our '04 MDX has the back-up cam and I love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you don't want to deal with the hassles, I got the Garmin IQUE pda GPS and it works great! Obviously no backup but the nav is incredibly accurate! You can also move it to whatever car you are driving including rentals!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ive been using a bluetooth GPS with my IPAQ. Nav is accurate, gets me to places.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also pondered the sunglass holder as an excellent location for the screen. But then, where will the headunit, controller (keypad), DVD unit be located? I assume with this setup you an also playback DVDs?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Whatever happend with your system, did you ever install the Alpine system? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, so let me know how it turned out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Like Stormace, I too, am going with a PDA. I am waiting for either the Asus A730 with VGA or Dell Axim X50 with VGA. Much cheaper and I have a toy to play with, like run MAME, play MP3s and watch videos.

There goes my $$ for the plunum!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did you ever install your alpine unit? I was thinking about getting the Alpine unit where the screen pops out and locate it where the clock is, what do you think? I have the OEM Nav but it does not work in Europe. Sucks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts