Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least once a week Infiniti runs a very large ad in the WSJ profiling a FX owner. Not surprisingly, the owners have been very diverse, but all seemed to be linked by being independently successful in their chosen field. It makes me wonder if the prototypical owner is really this way, or if it was just marketing spin to create a target market? Hard to tell sometimes.

I was just wondering if anyone here was ever the featured owner or had been contacted by Infiniti for one of these ads?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
You know, crap like that really chaps my ass. :evil: Sure, a lot of FX owners have a pretty good income and some may be very successful in their fields, but to spin it like that (reminds me of those elitist Rolex comercials) is a total pile. I certainly don't have a lot of money (school teacher) and have to work hard to scrimp, save and make sacrifices to get some of the things I want (like my FX). Does this make me any less worthy of being an owner of a nice car or a Swiss watch? To me, this kind of advertising, while attempting to pull in that successful croud, just says to the rest of us: "this product is for the elite, not you, buddy.".

·
Registered
19 Posts
What this boils down to is not the target audience to sell the car to, but who is reading the paper. I'm sure the large majority of people reading the WSJ are probably well to do and have a lot of money. I'm not saying this is everyone, but the majority. If Infiniti only wanted to sell cars to a certain type of person they wouldn't be in business long. To a car company money is money no matter where it comes from. For instance, if you turn on BET (Black Entertainment Television), you will see every person in a McDonalds comercial is black and is has a spin aimed at the african american audience. Turn to CBS and you would see most people in the McDonalds comericial are white. These ads are not trying to say McDonalds is only catering to the african american because they watch more BET that the typical white person. It is strickly marketing which has determined the demographic wants to see an ad in a particular way.

Greg

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
UnknownG said:
What this boils down to is not the target audience to sell the car to, but who is reading the paper. I'm sure the large majority of people reading the WSJ are probably well to do and have a lot of money. I'm not saying this is everyone, but the majority. If Infiniti only wanted to sell cars to a certain type of person they wouldn't be in business long. To a car company money is money no matter where it comes from. For instance, if you turn on BET (Black Entertainment Television), you will see every person in a McDonalds comercial is black and is has a spin aimed at the african american audience. Turn to CBS and you would see most people in the McDonalds comericial are white. These ads are not trying to say McDonalds is only catering to the african american because they watch more BET that the typical white person. It is strickly marketing which has determined the demographic wants to see an ad in a particular way.

Greg
Good point. I just don't particularly care for this type of marketing in general. Those Rolex commercials bug me the most (most often seen during sporting events). You think the majority of people watching those sporting events are well off? You're right about publications that can focus on very targetted audiences, but when they do it on TV, it just accentuates a seperation of classes. It's one thing to use something the majority of viewers will relate to most (like the type of people in the McDonalds commercials), but the ones that target the well to do only serve to make the rest of us (the overwhelming majority) feel inadequate or feel as if we're missing something. Anyway, just griping; ignore me. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UnknownG said:
Turn to CBS and you would see most people in the McDonalds comericial are . . .
computer-generated? :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Odd discussion.Most of us aspire to be more regardless of our income/success.I read recently that 35% of people believe that they are upper class.Obviously,that is not an acurate perception of upper class or themselves.

Given the placement of the ad,they want to attract that market(nothing wrong with that).The pricing of the car opens it up for a much wider market,which some MB.BMW and Cay turbo do not even care about .

Inf does not have the name recognition in those markets as those others I have mentioned...I do not see them turning against some, as showing others the quality and performance that is available from them at a lower price!

On the way home I pulled beside another blk 45 at a light(I thought he was in a turning lne).He roars off while I am talking on the cell,I come up to him, come even and he has to duck behind me as we enter a tight S curve and I accelerate hard through the S and leave him.I almost never race the same car as what I own,he needed to see the potential...he pulled off!It was a high rent area!
Never slowed my conversation!

·
Registered
19 Posts
But I would think you would actually want a to be perceived in a certain way by driving an expensive car. I've driven in cars that are much cheaper than the FX and they ride just fine. I didn't get those cars even though they got me from point A to point B in acceptable comfort. Why? Because there is something said about owning a 50,000 dollar car. And because the car is so expensive there comes with that a certain amount of exclusivity. If the FX only cost 10,000 everyone would have one and there would be no thrill owning it even though it is fast as **** and ride wonderfully. That's another reason I can't make myself by a Honda. There are like 1000000000 of those on the road. I'll be the first to admit I don't have a lot of money. I'm a graduate student at a medical school and only have this car as a wedding present from my parents. You'd be surprised at how many doctors here at the school give me a look of disgust wondering I could be driving an Infiniti only being a student. Although some people might be angered, it actually makes me rather happy.

Greg

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
All very good points. I've always taken pride in the cars I've owned, and though recognition is nice, I don't buy a car or mod it to impress anyone but myself. Deffinitely see the point about exclusivity. It didn't used to be a big deal to me, but more and more, I look more to cars that I don't see in every other driveway. Take the 'Vette as an example; very nice car with great performance for the price (though still quite expensive), but there are so many around (Mustang is another example). In this sense, I guess I have changed the way I percieve things a bit and find it worth the extra expense to own something you don't see yourself coming and going in (all the black FXs in the HFXA excluded :roll: ).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Deffinitely see the point about exclusivity. It didn't used to be a big deal to me, but more and more, I look more to cars that I don't see in every other driveway.
I agree there is something special (in a way) about driving an "exclusive" vehicle. Not trying to be a snob or anything but everyone (it seems) has an RX where I live.

We enjoyed that exclusivity feeling for quit a while with our Acura MDX (we've owned one since Mar '01); now we see one quite frequently. Even after 4 years the MDX is not seen nearly as frequently as its rivals 8)

As for the FX I do not see that many at all (yet). :)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
There's been a FX ad almost everyday in the WSJ for a while now.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
i don't see any fx ads in hip hop mags haha. guess i'm not the target audiance.

I think i should be cuz im willing to blow money on a fast car and we luv suvs, so a fast suv is where its at! the dodge magnum is EVERYWHERE in the hip hop scene so I think the fx should be as well.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The Magnum is a station wagon. The Denali and Escalade are SUVs. The FX is a big sports car. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Three of PA 5 dealerships are in the Philly area.and FX's and G35Coupes are plentiful,but still get stares in the high rent corner of the state!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OIIIIIIO said:
It on Infinti's websit now for those who dont read WSJ:
WSJ AD
Nice catch Stevie. 8) I thought with as many ads as they're running that one of those profiled is bound to show up here one of these days.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
ujmot said:
The Magnum is a station wagon. The Denali and Escalade are SUVs. The FX is a big sports car. ;)
The Magnum is a very small car; saw one on the way to work this morning and was surprised at how small it really is. Of course is is not an upscale car either (mid $20s).

The "tall" sports car concept was a major factor in me getting the FX. 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts