Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm sitting in the parking lot of a Lowe's hardware and I'm on my home. My girlfriend wanted me to pick something up for dinner. I'm in a part of town I'm not all that familiar with and I want to avoid going to the crappy but convenient Safeway I know is on my way home. I want a QFC. I end up fiddling with my nav unit for about 10 minutes only to have it tell me there's one 350 feet from where I'm sitting. I look up and see the sign from the parking lot, right in front of me. It was basically across the street. How dependent upon technology have I become that I went to it before even bothering to take a gander at my surroundings?

This means something. I'm not sure what....

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Jeffhay said:
How dependent upon technology have I become that I went to it before even bothering to take a gander at my surroundings?
Sheeit- I'm Nav-less 'till at least Friday (estimate so far as to when I get my FX back) and I swear, it's like I'm from Mars or something. I don't really do the same things every day nor at the same times every day, and since there's places I go that I learned the route to from the Nav, I've been finding myself completely lost when it's time to leave and not quite sure how to get home or to the freeway.

<sigh>

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yesterday, I had a little roadtrip through Philly to Baltimore and back and my nav system was acting up all the way there and back. I'd do the slight ignition switch turn to reboot, still get a disc error, move the passenger seat forward eject the dvd, put it back in, etc. all while driving 80 mph on hwy 95....not something I'm proud of or condone. Even though I knew where I was going most of the time, twice I missed my exits because I was so focused on getting the problem fixed. I have an appointment to get it swapped for a working unit today (http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/B ... 04-042.htm).

Even more embarrassingly, I had full printouts from MS Streets and Trips sitting on the passenger seat next to me. :oops:

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
bazooka said:
I had full printouts from MS Streets and Trips sitting on the passenger seat next to me. :oops:
That's actually quite prudent- I use Yahoo! Maps as a backup (for can't-miss destinations or areas I'm not familiar with) 'cause we all know Zenrin's maps are nowhere near complete, and online maps are about as real-time as we're gonna get.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
ShadyJC said:
Guys, give Google Maps (maps.google.com) a shot
Just tried it again- it finally works with the Opera browser!

Map24.com is good, but they're heavy on the Java (which is lacking somewhat in stability on Linux)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.