Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...

the community where i live is new enough that my street is not on the map of the navigation that i got with my 03 FX. streets that are literally 1/4 mile away ARE on the map though.

i want to upgrade to a new CD, but i want to see if my street is REALLY on the new nav CD (the site searcher says it is, but you never know).

...sooo.... can someone with the latest version zoom out their nav, fly on over to northern virginia, and zoom back in just west of the Dulles airport and see if there are streets around my address:

42746 Shaler Street, South Riding, VA

:razz:

..oh...and please do not send any junk mail to this address unless it has lots of money inside :lol:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Funny, I looked at mapquest, and it had your location, but directions from my place to yours (see map below) gave this msg. after getting me to Braddock:

There are .14 miles between your ending location and the end of your driving directions. Use maps to get from your ending location to the end of your route.

Anyway, I'm probably going to get 6.3 when it comes out (think they're saying Oct. now)...you might want to wait a couple months.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bizarre! and i can actually barely make out my street on that map you attached too :)

my sirius radio kit should be here tomorrow or thursday. i get the tiny antenna with it too, and im going to see if i can do the "stealth" install when we get around to it.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: fun task for anyone with the LATEST version of the nav C

bradical said:
42746 Shaler Street, South Riding, VA
Heh. Now Jon Carson's gonna ban you!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Yeah, I'll get 6.3 when it comes out, as well. Much as I figure I'll be disappointed about upgrades to the UI (we've got the only Nav system out there that can't find any arbitrary Point Of Interest closest to your current location :-x) I figure the $180 will be worth it to upgrade every couple of years 'cause SoCal is changing rapidly, esp. in parts of the outlying areas (we even have a new freeway since 6.1 came out).

·
Registered
848 Posts
kcrudup said:
FromHereToInfiniti said:
Funny, I looked at mapquest, and it had your location, but directions from my place to yours (see map below) gave this msg. after getting me to Braddock:

There are .14 miles between your ending location and the end of your driving directions. Use maps to get from your ending location to the end of your route
MapQuest blows. Yahoo! Maps was able to find it:
Oh, Mapquest found it, but couldn't give complete directions from my place to his. I've been using them for a few yrs., and that was a first, as well as very surprising considering that it can locate both of us and we only live about 5 miles apart.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FX'd said:
Bradical, I just gave it a shot. You're address is on the DVD.
cool 8)

now that you all know my address, please send all checks to that address before john carson kicks me off the site :D

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kcrudup said:
Yeah, I'll get 6.3 when it comes out, as well. Much as I figure I'll be disappointed about upgrades to the UI (we've got the only Nav system out there that can't find any arbitrary Point Of Interest closest to your current location :-x) I figure the $180 will be worth it to upgrade every couple of years 'cause SoCal is changing rapidly, esp. in parts of the outlying areas (we even have a new freeway since 6.1 came out).
i agree here. i love the bird view, but these guys to do better with the POIs. there are a lot of resturaunts that have been around for a long time that do not show up as well as business locations too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
bradical said:
Yeah, I'll get 6.3 when it
i agree here. i love the bird view, but these guys to do better with the POIs. there are a lot of resturaunts that have been around for a long time that do not show up as well as business locations too.
There's an obvious limitation as to how much information you can fit on one DVD. We are talking the entire USA, what's on there is pretty impressive! I'm sure the DVD is full, and that there is some stategy for deciding which restaurant make the cut.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dinofx35 said:
bradical said:
Yeah, I'll get 6.3 when it
There's an obvious limitation as to how much information you can fit on one DVD. We are talking the entire USA, what's on there is pretty impressive! I'm sure the DVD is full, and that there is some stategy for deciding which restaurant make the cut.
makes sense, its just that when i look for a larger brand like say "PF Changs" and there are 3 locations , it will give me the newest one, but not the other 2 that are older and closer...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
dinofx35 said:
There's an obvious limitation as to how much information you can fit on one DVD.
~8.5GB of compressed data is a lot of data, and not only that, both the Lexus and Acura DVD-based systems can "Find Nearest _____" from where you are right now, but the Infiniti system cannot. You have to enter the exact city you're in (every time at that), and if you're in, say Irvine, but the nearest ____ is in Santa Ana (i.e., potentially across the **** street) it won't find it. Trying to do a "Find Nearby" with only a name entered stupidly tries to find every ____ in the whole state, then it craps out with that stupid "The Nearest ____ is over 30 miles away" crap. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I can't believe Zenrin considered this a quality product.

I'm sure the DVD is full, and that there is some stategy for deciding which restaurant make the cut.
It's not even about "making a cut"- I seriously believe that our system has no idea where we are, in the context of locality, something the POI function is wired to require. If you use "Where Am I" on our system, you get the street you're on, and the nearest cross in front and behind (like "no sh!t, Sherlock"- good luck trying to get a tow in a crowded metro area like SoCal you're unfamiliar with, with only that information!) But if you've ever used the "Locate" button on the Hertz "NeverLost" system (I was really familiar with them, having rented from them for over 3 years), it not only gives you that info, but the city, county and state you're in. Not knowing where you are now is a big detriment to finding the nearest whereever- why do you think the system has to always ask us what city?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts