Infiniti FX Forum banner

Fuel Economy!!!

34K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  happybb 
#1 ·
So I just picked up an 03 fx45! Beryllium black/brick, tech package.. Loooove it! No one knows it's an '03! Beautiful.
I went from a four cylinder Toyota Celica to this thirsty girl.. With gas prices going to the moon, I would like to know what Modifications other fx45 owners have done to increase their MPG/fuel economy? Cold air intake? Exhaust? What Mods specifically and part numbers etc.. Itching to spend some money on my new ride, increasing the efficiency seems justifiable in these times. 0X

#2 ·
0X ?

You've got a sweet color combo!

The single best (and free) way to improve MPG is to modify your driving habits. The second best is a drop-in K&N filter. Beyond that, you'll never recoup the cost of the mod with your increase in MPG. Always use premium, keep your tires at the correct PSI, exercise proactive maintenance, and don't drive like a teenager and you'll do pretty well. I consistently get 16-18 city and 20-22 highway. If you're considering intake / exhaust / etc mods, do it for the power, not the MPG. Welcome to the forum and post up some pics!

#3 ·
Wow! 16 - 18 mpg for in-town driving is great for a 45. My 50 gets about 12 in the city and 20 on the hiway. If I stand on it a little, well it's another story.

If I was any more conservative, I'd have to sell it as it wouldn't be any fun at all.;)
---
Via Tapatalk

#4 ·
Check to see if you can get a JWT Pop Charger... it'll help with the MPG a bit... but yeah, other than good maintenance, you're not gonna squeeze many more MPGs out of her...

#5 ·
Trying to modify a sporty V8 to significantly improve your mileage is futile. Either give up and enjoy, or sell it. I get about 12 mpg in town.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I'll get some pics up today after I wash her! What's up with the JWT pop charger? Is it reliable. Any problems? I already have the k&n drop in.. I really felt the difference when I installed a cold air intake on my integra, back in the day. Thinking about throwing some 80 series Flows on her too.. Love the sound of a v8!!

#7 ·
Claygreenmoney said:
What's up with the JWT pop charger?
It's a short air ram intake... do a search and you'll see the thread on it...

#8 ·
I have the exact same car and I installed the JWT popcharger last month after averaging about 12mpg in the city.

I ditched the airbox and my k&n drop in and I'm noticing better pickup, a little meaner sound, and best of all I can't get the city mileage below 14.3mpg.

I bet if I feathered the throttle I could get 16+mpg.

Highway mileage seems slightly better, from 18mpg to 19mpg (avg 85mph).

It installed in about 10 mins.

Did anyone reset their ecu after install? I'm wondering if I can reap more benefits from doing this.

Might also remove engine cover and skid plates to further cooling and airflow.

#9 ·
djrobnm said:
Might also remove engine cover and skid plates to further cooling and airflow.
Removing the engine cover is OK but don't remove the skid plate... it's designed to help with airflow at speed AND prevent rocks and crap from bouncing up into your engine area...

#10 ·
With the V8 I've been using regular not premium. So far it's been fine, has anyone experienced a problem not using premium on their V8's??

#11 ·
PlatinumFx said:
With the V8 I've been using regular not premium. So far it's been fine, has anyone experienced a problem not using premium on their V8's??
WHY!? If you can't afford premium fuel for an engine that is designed and explicitly requires premuim fuel, perhaps this is not the vehicle for you.

#12 ·
Ahhh Mr. Gixxer, money is not the problem. See you can't assume one can, or cannot afford. Same reason the rich stay and get richer. Let the ignorants throw money away (seems like what you may be doing) when I can save, and or compound on my earnings & savings. Even if it's just gas. If you have any further questions on how to compound, your savings & earnings, I have a few brokers in Private Wealth Managment who I work with at JP & MS that I can referr to you.

Now that we had a lesson on finance lets talk cars, which is why I'm on this forum. So Mr.Moderator, moderate your duties on what your here to Moderate, which was the original question....can you fill the V8 w regular fuel without cause for concern?

#13 ·
My 45 gets about 18 city and 26 highway.

#14 ·
I don't know about the V8, but with my 07 FX35, I do notice the difference between 93 octane and 87 octane. With the 93 octane it is smooth and has more pulling power all the way though the revs. On the other hand, the 87 tends to rattle up in the higher revs 5000+. Oddly enough it seems the 87 octane accelerates faster, but doesn't keep pulling. My car says it can use either, so I use 87 octane if I know I'm just going to be boring and I use 93 octane if I know I'm going to be having fun.

That being said, if my car told me it required 93 all the time, I'd use 93 all the time.

#15 ·
PlatinumFx said:
GixxerSteve said:
WHY!? If you can't afford premium fuel for an engine that is designed and explicitly requires premuim fuel, perhaps this is not the vehicle for you.
Ahhh Mr. Gixxer, money is not the problem. See you can't assume one can, or cannot afford. Same reason the rich stay and get richer. Let the ignorants throw money away (seems like what you may be doing) when I can save, and or compound on my earnings & savings. Even if it's just gas. If you have any further questions on how to compound, your savings & earnings, I have a few brokers in Private Wealth Managment who I work with at JP & MS that I can referr to you.

Now that we had a lesson on finance lets talk cars, which is why I'm on this forum. So Mr.Moderator, moderate your duties on what your here to Moderate, which was the original question....can you fill the V8 w regular fuel without cause for concern?
Justin Jacobson, I'm sorry that I posted a response to your question that you apparently did not understand. Reading comprehension is certainly not your strong point.

While I could answer your question very easily, you just burned that bridge. Good luck with your sustained use of regular fuel in your VK, and your penny-pinching investment plan.

#16 ·
GixxerSteve, I fully comprehended your answer, however, breaking down your response it was just rude, and if you could've very easily answered it, why not just do so in the first place? If you look at JwBlackW's response, that was informitive, and exactly what one would expect from a moderator and or a normal person. Telling someone if you can't afford it, you shouldnt get it, or "it's not the vehicle for you" has nothing to do with the question.

Now seeing as I could go on and on, with my educational background, and "Penny Pinching Invesment Plans" which in truth, has led me to owning a nation-wide company, there's no reason to "Burn Bridges" I don't know you and im sure we wouldn't run in similar social or economic circles so there's really no bridge to burn lol, but I would think someone with your "Moderating" title, would be a little more compelled to help other users of this forum, in a kinder mannnor, and not be so quick to rub members the wrong way. I do value your knowlege on this imperticular vehicle, and I'm sure many others here do as well. So while you have a very easy answer to my question, it is those responses im looking for, as are most users of this forum & not opinions.

But just a word of advise in business and in life, you get more bee's with honey, or in this particular case, More milage with good fuel.

#17 ·
[attachment=0:1udy88je]DoubleFacePalm.jpg[/attachment:1udy88je]

Attachments

#18 ·
PlatinumFx said:
jwblackw said:
That being said, if my car told me it required 93 all the time, I'd use 93 all the time.
The fact that the 45 manual tells you to ONLY use PREMIUM gas should make this a no brainer... the 35 RECOMMENDS PREMIUM but allows you to use REGULAR...

The fact that this question has been asked a million times and you could have found your answer with a quick search is also why the moderators get frustrated with these repeated questions...

Simple answer? You may or may not experience any problems as every engine has it's own "personality" that comes from the variables when they were manufactured... OR your engine could blow up at any given time... probably when the weather starts to get colder like it is now...

#19 ·
Side note I can run 87 as I have an economy mode map custom tuned for 87.

But I still always put 93 and typically run my aggressive 93 octane map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.