Infiniti FX Forum banner

Fuel Door/Gas Cap Woes

6K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  bradical 
#1 ·
Ever since my first fill up I have been less than happy with the design/material of the FX gas cap retention cord, as well as the gas cap retention brackets on the fuel door. The cap cord seemed unncessarily stiff, the retention brackets seemed flimsy at best, and what is normally a simple task of unscrewing the cap and placing it upon the fuel door always seemed to be an ergonomic challenge for me.

Well, today I have finally had it. While trying to gas up in single digit weather I could not open the fuel door, and guessed correctly that the forward element of the cap retention bracket was hooked on the cap cord. I could not maneuver the cord off of the bracket, and the only way to open the fuel door was to snap off the bracket! Simply un-freaking believable!

I cannot imagine that I am alone in these experiences, and would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.

#3 ·
I too have trouble simply putting the cap within the brackets. It either goes all the way through or slips off the top. I also agree the tether is too stiff. Other than that, I have no problems with the design :shock:

#5 ·
hmmm.

i just rest my cap on the top of the bracket and no problems.

to cable is stiff, but over time it loosens up nicely :)

dont get down on something like this....just make a MOD and post it in the how-to section :)

#6 ·
I had the little lock plunger (actuator) replaced under warranty. One day I noticed that when the alarm locks the doors automatically while i was refueling, the gas door lock would not engage. I tested the connector and found the motor was bad. Never had a problem with the other components there though.

#11 ·
yep, the design definitely sux. tired of the cap falling off the bracket and banging on to the body.

#12 ·
finsfx said:
yep, the design definitely sux. tired of the cap falling off the bracket and banging on to the body.
That is what mine does all the time.

I have to keep my hand on it or it jumps off. Nothing like swearing to yourself when filling up and everyone looks at you like your a weirdo. :lol:

#13 ·
Sweet Fx said:
finsfx said:
That is what mine does all the time.

I have to keep my hand on it or it jumps off. Nothing like swearing to yourself when filling up and everyone looks at you like your a weirdo. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: i hear ya!

#14 ·
Though I've never had this problem (with the door, or having it fall off), I wish they would redesign the connector. I guess it's one of those things I've just gotten used to (like hitting the nag button on the Nav system).

#15 ·
I have not had this trouble; however mine has little or no slack in the connecting cable at all (its a tight fit).

#16 ·
somehow, ive managed to twist mine into a position where the cable does not force the cap off the mount. i think i over twisted it a quarter turn when its tightened so that when its on the holder, there is no stress on the cable....kinda like pre-stressed, post-tensioned concrete :)

#17 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I will just remove the cord altogether. I find that it even impedes the process of unscrewing the gas cap.

PINITI-FX said:
Sorry you're 1st post had to be a bummer. :( Hope someone can provide a solution for you. Single digit weather, where do you live?
Land of Ten Thousand Lakes-Minnesota. My wife and I have actually been very happy with and impressed by our FX overall, but that is what makes the ergonomic/design issues so confounding!

#19 ·
Not only do I have no slack, I have to pull in the fuel door slightly for the cap to sit properly in the brackets. Otherwise, the cap is at an angle to the brackets and simply falls right out.

#20 ·
kcrudup said:
Does your cap have the same slack as mine? I never have any trouble.

hey kenny, are you taking pics of your gas cap with your cell phone? dont you know that the entire gas station can blow up :lol: :lol: :lol:

#21 ·
bradical said:
are you taking pics of your gas cap with your cell phone? dont you know that the entire gas station can blow up
... and the car was on, too! Run for da hills!

#22 ·
bradical said:
hey kenny, are you taking pics of your gas cap with your cell phone? dont you know that the entire gas station can blow up :lol: :lol: :lol:
This myth has been busted by the Mythbusters. :lol: :lol:

That was a pretty good episode on that. They could not get anything to blow up.

#23 ·
Sweet Fx said:
bradical said:
This myth has been busted by the Mythbusters. :lol: :lol:

That was a pretty good episode on that. They could not get anything to blow up.
those guys are funny. im sure that they resorted to lighting a match near the fuel door at the end too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.