Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never put one on my vettes in the past, and I would love to NOT put one of the front of my FX, but I noticed today that I have two big holes in my bumper where the bracket was screwed in. Does anyone run without one? If so, what did you do with the holes in your bumper?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I know at least two people here in Texas that have gotten tickets in the last two months for not having a front plate. $150 fine I believe.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, took it off today and besides the two holes. My bumper is scratched bad.

I just hate the looks of the plate on the front. But tickets are not cool either. :x

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I'm in Houston and don't run with one, nor have I had one on my previous car for the past 8 years. Never been bothered about it; I've even gotten a couple a speeding tickets and they didn't mention it. I'd rather pay the ticket, anyway, than drill my bumper. My FX had the holes drilled when I got it, since it had been at the dealership a while, but luckily, a truckload of fresh ones came in the same day (not in my config., though), so I just paid an hour's labor and they swapped it out for me.

I plan on moving to San Diego in a couple years and the meter maids there nail you for not having a front plate when parked, so I'm going to try to epoxy a few strong magnets behind that area of the bumper, then put adhesive felt on the backside of the front plate and just stick it on when I'm going to be parked in a public lot for a while.

Another option, though not as quick, is the bracket offered by strictlyZ.com that screws into the tow hook hole. Theirs was made for the Z and G as an alternative to drilling the bumper and I don't know if it's shaft is long enough to work on the FX. It's not quick release or anything, though.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I plan on moving to San Diego in a couple years and the meter maids there nail you for not having a front plate when parked, so I'm going to try to epoxy a few strong magnets behind that area of the bumper, then put adhesive felt on the backside of the front plate and just stick it on when I'm going to be parked in a public lot for a while.
LOL! That's brilliant! However, I could see myself forgetting to remove it, driving off and getting a flat when I ran over it. :?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE,,

Took the FX in this morning, they grabbed a front bumper off of a FX that just arrived and swapped it out for me. :lol: They also touched up one small spot on the car at no cost.

I have to say, I am impressed at the treatment that Infiniti and the dealer, North Houston Infiniti. If you need work or want to buy, go see those guys. They are great.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
GEAUX said:
UPDATE,,

Took the FX in this morning, they grabbed a front bumper off of a FX that just arrived and swapped it out for me. :lol: They also touched up one small spot on the car at no cost.

I have to say, I am impressed at the treatment that Infiniti and the dealer, North Houston Infiniti. If you need work or want to buy, go see those guys. They are great.
how tough (long?) is it to remove the bumper cover??

did you see em do it?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
esemes said:
GEAUX said:
UPDATE,,

did you see em do it?
I watched as they did mine. Didn't look difficult; just popped out the grill, undid some bolts, unplugged the fogs and that's about it. Took less than an hour to do the swap on mine, which included removing two bumpers and re-installing the undrilled one on my car.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
esemes said:
GEAUX said:
UPDATE,,

did you see em do it?
It took them about 2 hours. It did not appear to hard, as I could kinda see what was going on. Not right next to them. They put it up on a rack and went under, took several bolts/screws, whatever out and it popped off. Unpluged the fogs etc. It seemed pretty simple actually. I did not realize that it was that big, it actually goes a good way up the front of the car under the headlights.
I am just happy they took care of the drilled holes. Now about those pinstripes.................

·
Registered
239 Posts
GEAUX said:
UPDATE,,

Now that's great service. I should have gone there instead of SouthWest Infiniti. I did not like their service one bit. :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
I haven't had a plate on front , since purchase in April 03. No problem yet. Don't want any problems , but don't want front plates either. We'll see what happens. I'm not putting one on unless I start getting popped.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, I just got my fist frigging ticket this morning :x (don't tell the wife, or she'll have my balls), and I haven't run a front plate since I got the car, either. Cop didn't say a word about it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OUCH,

What speed bro?

·
Registered
832 Posts
You got to stop doing those G-Tech runs in the am before going to work... :lol:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Grrr... Cops must have been out trying to hit their monthly quota early. Three of them staked out the 45 feeder during morning rush hour (yet another reason I like San Diego; cops are smart enough to stay off the streets during rush hour). They were pulling off cars left and right. :evil: I was doing 75 on the access road (45 limit). The cop shot me twice and got me at 73 the second time. At least he put 69 on the ticket so I can take defensive driving.

·
Registered
90 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Well, I just got my fist frigging ticket this morning :x (don't tell the wife, or she'll have my balls), and I haven't run a front plate since I got the car, either. Cop didn't say a word about it.
:lol: my wife just got her first ticket in the FX the other day too.

FWIW - I never installed the bracket and front plate on hers, but have them sitting in the spare tire area. Cop never said a word about the lack of front plate.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
BTW, I have a frame on the rear plate as well (now illegal in TX; can't cover ANY part of ANY text or design on the plate) and he didn't say anything about it, either.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I want to take mine off :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in Houston too and never disgraced my fx with a front plate and have had it for 16+ months and no problem. I see SW infiniti is putting on the front plate on all theres. I bought mine from danny at grubbs and the just threw the bracket in the back.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dont have front plates on either the WJ or FX. Grubbs told me flat out that they DONT put front plates on since most of their customers dont want them. never had a problem with the law...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts