Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods, excuse me if I put this in the wrong place... I wasn't sure if I should put it here or in Problems/Tire, Rims, and Suspension. I figured here because it's a general question that I'm about to ask.

Anyway, my FX has started making some noises from the front suspension. Nothing scary, just some mild rattling over rough roads - and most of the roads around here fit into that category. Something sounds loose, and it sounds like a 30 year old car going over bumpy sections.

Like I said, I'm not worried about the fix, likely just something loose, should be easy to fix. I'm wondering if I should remove my Stillen STB before taking it in for service? I can't imagine that the STB is the problem, and just to be sure, I went and checked the torque on all the bolts this afternoon, and all was good.

The FX is only about three weeks old and has about 800 miles on it (been driving a lot!). Do you think a dealer would give me grief about the Stillen STB since the noise is in the front end? Anyone have any experiences with Passport Infiniti in Alexadria relating to mods?

All help is appreciated.

Matthew

·
Registered
748 Posts
My dealer had no issue with my STB when I brought it in but all dealers are different. Even if you take it off for this visit you should ask them if they are "mod" friendly. I asked this of my dealer and they said "yes". He then preceded to tell me about all the G35s they deal with that have superchargers.

-NJJ

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Moved by me.

Since the problem you are experiencing is suspension related, I would remove the STB just so they can't blame it on that. It's a 10 min. job; can't hurt to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
yeah...the first thing they will do is say "well look..you loosened the bolts on the tower.

FIRST...check to see if indeed you didnt tighten them :)

THEN...take the stb off

THIRD...hope their mechanic isnt reading this :lol:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the good advice. I think that if/when it stops raining here (no garage, doh!), I'll take the STB off before bringing it in. When I'm there, I'll be sure to ask how they'd feel if I added one, maybe a CAI, etc.

And just for the record, I did install it exactly per instructions, torqued all bolts to proper values, etc. And when I noticed the rattling sound, I did suspect something perhaps with the STB, and I immediately retorqued all the bolts - and all were exactly where they needed to be.

I'll keep everyone updated on what the issue turns out to be. Are there any known issues for front end rattling sounds?

Matthew

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
well there are some TSBs for popping noises from the suspension. check the ininitihelp.com site and check all the tsbs for not only 2005, but other model years. see if it matches one of those.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Glad I had a dealer do mine, but my dealership seems competent enough to know what can and what can't cause these kinds of problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.